Duty free in Chiang Mai Domestic airport?

banagan

never understand why people would want to buy overprized booze or watches in Asian and Arabian airport "duty frees".

All that stuff, if you'd start to look more closelier, can be had for cheaper in your home country , be it Europe or the USA.

with SOME exceptions, maybe.

I don't see why one would bother buying IMPORTED BOOZE in Chiang Mai when one is returning to the country where exactly that kind of Booze came from

.... except, of course, Sir, if you intend to drink it aboard your flight !!thumbsup.gif

Edited by crazygreg44

Always thought the same thing until I went to Singapore a couple of weeks ago. Friend I was visiting asked me to buy a bottle of Tanqueray. Duty free 24 Sing. Outside it was twice as much or three times. Depends on the country, I guess.

never understand why people would want to buy overprized booze or watches in Asian and Arabian airport "duty frees".

All that stuff, if you'd start to look more closelier, can be had for cheaper in your home country , be it Europe or the USA.

I don't see why one would bother buying IMPORTED BOOZE in Chiang Mai when one is returning to the country where exactly that kind of Booze came from

.... except, of course, Sir, if you intend to drink it aboard your flight !!thumbsup.gif

He said he wants to buy it on the way in.

I don't think Johnnie Walker or Jack Daniels comes from Thailand.

biggrin.png

I didn't read the part where OP stated he's returning to the country in which "that kind of booze came from"? It's entirely possible (in a Thai forum, huh?) that some of us posting here live in Thailand and want to visit Singapore or Dubai or Bahrain or Norway or Sweden...countries where a drink will cost one upwards of 12 euros or $15 US. Buying alcohol duty free - either upon departure from Thailand or upon arrival in those countries - is a significant cost savings. Same with tobacco products.

• Like 1

He said he wants to buy it on the way in.

I don't think Johnnie Walker or Jack Daniels comes from Thailand.

biggrin.png

where does he say that ????

his post reads: Is there any sort of duty free shop in the domestic part of Chiang Mai Airport. Would like to pick up some booze

yes of course, coming IN into Thailand, any booze brought in your check-in luggage , bought in your home country, beats Thailand exorbitant taxes . . said that, again, must make sure price of booze in your supermarket is cheaper than the departure airport duty free price. In most cases it is.

Edited by crazygreg44

I didn't read the part where OP stated he's returning to the country in which "that kind of booze came from"? It's entirely possible (in a Thai forum, huh?) that some of us posting here live in Thailand and want to visit Singapore or Dubai or Bahrain or Norway or Sweden...countries where a drink will cost one upwards of 12 euros or $15 US. Buying alcohol duty free - either upon departure from Thailand or upon arrival in those countries - is a significant cost savings. Same with tobacco products.

OP didn't say if he flies in our out of Chiang Mai.

I assumed he is flying out, as most duty frees are only for DEPARTING customers !

yes you can turn in your heels at airports and enter the duty free zone before going to immigration . .. my remark was rahter rhetorical, because regardless if you leave or arrive at Chiang Mai airport, any "Jack Daniels" is definitely not made in Thailand

..and yes, Diplomatico, if you arrive from Sweden or Norway at Chiang Mai, which is technically not possible as there are no direct flights from these countries into Chiang Mai.

ah well, yes if you are from Sweden or Norway, and fly into Thailand directly, you CAN try to get into the duty free zone of Subvarnabhumi airport upon arrival . But I must warn you, most of the booze there is cheaper when bought INSIDE Thailand. The duty free zone of Subvarnabhumi is a joke.

The OP didn't say if he's flying in our out, so I was assuming he was flying out, as Duty Free is for departing flyers at most airports.

and yes, I will buy a 24 K gold watch on my next stay on Dubai airport, it must be a bargain.

Do you like to be called you stupid ?

And flying into places like Dubai or Abu Dhabi, if you're a resident, getting booze by the bottle (theoretically) requires a liquor permit and is only available in a few places once you leave the airport and enter the country.

I did have a liquor permit and there's little in the way of taxes or duty on things in the UAE, but I usually picked up a bottle or two of booze when returning to the UAE since it was a convenience more than a cost saving.

I could never figure out why anyone staying in a hotel in Bangkok would buy anything from the minibar in your room when there would be at least a hundred 7-Elevens or Family Marts within a 30 second walk of the hotel, but sometimes you just grab an over-priced beer & a bag of nuts from the minibar because it seems convenient.

Not everything in life is an economic decision.

Edited by Suradit69

I assumed he is flying out, as most duty frees are only for DEPARTING customers !

yes you can turn in your heels at airports and enter the duty free zone before going to immigration . .. my remark was rahter rhetorical, because regardless if you leave or arrive at Chiang Mai airport, any "Jack Daniels" is definitely not made in Thailand

Maybe I'm spoiled, but I think I've bought Duty Free on arrival on most of my recent trips. In Sydney I was nagged as to why I didn't have enough bottles.

Heathrow has this sort of "pretend" duty free, since it's after Customs; just a scam really.

Dubai are bad for that as well, they have Filipinas running around making sure you've spent the max!

It really boggles my mind as well. I am an airline captain on a narrowbody with mostly 3.5 hour flights or less our average onboard sales are $1500. Liquor, trinkets and perfume. It is a profit center for the airline but, The prices are unimpressive and so is the selection**I think it has to do with the asian gift giving culture and also "fun" factor where people spend money freely traveling on what could be had at any liquor store in Tokyo or Guam for less. Then schlep it around an airport. Just because it comes in a fancy bag and one can show off.

** there are limited edition things that are popular. For example some kind of Frank Sinatra edition Jack Daniels only available from Duty Free in HK. It is very expensive but several pepple have asked me to get it for them.

Edited by arunsakda

thumbsup.gif

I bought a watch in Singapore airport duty free for £1200 that was priced at £1800 in UK. Explain that one.

C'mon now. Let's not let facts get in the way of other peoples' pre-conceived notions.

Next you'll be telling us that there are duty free shops for arriving passengers and not only for departing passengers. wai2.gif

• Like 1