Recommendations for Christmas Day

pmf113b

When I first arrived in Thailand I looked forward to going out for Christmas and other holiday meals. Over the years prices for special occasion meals has risen at a much faster pace than other meals, and when dinners at the four and five star hotels had risen to a price beyond 1000 baht a person (mainly because they have a captive audience and not because of a jump in costs of ingredients), I took action with my feet. I self cater my own dinners. I usually cook the turkey or order a ready made one from Rimping or Central Food Hall, make a couple of accompanying dishes, then ask participants to bring a side dish, wine and/or dessert. My housekeeper comes in and serves and cleans up. We all have had a marvellous time in the past, and I am planning to do it again this year.

Cost wise you can get a large uncooked Butterball Turkey for 155 baht at Makro, or almost double that for a cooked one at the supermarkets, and the cost is a couple of hundred baht per person with lots and lots of leftovers.

I have not found this to be correct..... poster would you care to state which Makro and when you saw this price or is it just someone telling you this...... Norbest is even more than this..... I await your reply

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

re

Amazing that in mid November The Pub, O'Malley's, The Chedi, Holiday Inn, and a dozen other places we called tonight, have no idea what they will be doing in 7 weeks time!

in my experience with thais ( but i do tend to be down with the bottom feeders ) most of them dont know where they will be or what they will be doing in 7 days .... never mind 7 weeks

planing for next month , year or retirement .... equals zilch sad.png

dave2

I absolutely agree with you Dave2. (and i don't thin its confined to the 'bottom feeders' as you put it, but many of the places we are looking at patronising are run or substantially influenced by foreigners, which is why I'd hoped for rather better organisation!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

re

Amazing that in mid November The Pub, O'Malley's, The Chedi, Holiday Inn, and a dozen other places we called tonight, have no idea what they will be doing in 7 weeks time!

in my experience with thais ( but i do tend to be down with the bottom feeders ) most of them dont know where they will be or what they will be doing in 7 days .... never mind 7 weeks

planing for next month , year or retirement .... equals zilch sad.png

dave2

I absolutely agree with you Dave2. (and i don't thin its confined to the 'bottom feeders' as you put it, but many of the places we are looking at patronising are run or substantially influenced by foreigners, which is why I'd hoped for rather better organisation!

Are you suggesting the Thai bashing was misdirected?clap2.gif

The last time I had Christmas at Le Meridien it was 700 baht and it was great. The next year they doubled it and I decided to go down market from then on. Bake and Bite is really excellent, but just a basic turkey meal with no Maine lobster or foie gras at around 400-500 baht.

I don't really care that much for the fancy stuff anyway, although I will try it if it is there. I don't blame the people who are willing to pay for a real feast once a year, but much more than 1,000 baht per person is not worth it to me.

I believe I was there that year. A fantastic buffet. The one thing that I found hard to believe was that they had no Cranberry sauce. So I used the mint Jelly and it was good. I would rather have had the cranberry sauce but you take what they give you.

I like you will go a lot cheaper on the meal and enjoy it just as much. If the wife was into Western food I would consider as high as 1,000 baht but she is not and I will just get left over turkey sandwiches boxing day at Dukes. Hopefully he will have some this year.