Can Thailand Tourism Rebound After Political Unrest?

webfact

Hmm small problem with the advert, in that a sizeable portion of the population now lives on a crappy housing estate and shops at Big C. Not quite the idyllic chicken/water/jar/jungle portrait.

Way too much trash in a lot of the tourist areas and not enough interesting historical areas.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand has fewer tourists than Russia or Turkey and fewer than 1/3 what France has. LINK

Its very true, its easy to forget that although Thailand has a sizeable tourist industry it is a long way behind the most visited, in fact it has only just made it into number 10 position.

France does indeed have a huge tourist industry, and its easy to see why. Rich culture, historical landmarks, museums, amazing cities (including the most romantic in the World), beautiful countryside and the 2 things for me are the language and of course the home of the worlds finest food and wine.

The downside? Its not cheap of course but over 80 million people thought it was worth the money during 2013 so clearly people still want quality.

Take note Thailand, if you want quality tourists look at what the best do,, you can start by dropping the obvious dislike for foreigners (farangs) and stop telling people you are the Land Of Smiles which you are clearly not,,, not sure Thailand ever was.

France has several land-based neighbours and is part of the EU - it is VERY VERY easy for tourists to flock into France from all sides via land as well as international flights and shipping.

France also SPENDS - or invests - a lot on the tourist industry, as a portion of the economy - it is about 10%

Thailand's tourism industry is between 7 and 10 % of GDP which is HUGE for any economy....especially a developing one

Some day in the near future Thailand will gain a negative reputation on the European caprid market, The Thai government will replace this cow milk with chinese caprids and it will be the end of it.

Governments in Asia would rather do without us big egos big mouths, heads full of tv crap; goverments in Europe would rather see us stay home on welfare and watch tv... And vote accordingly...

Expat quality of life in Thailand has been on tue decline for the past 10 years, and dropping.

And in a few years from now it will be about impossible to live in another country. Well all have to plug in our tv sets in an appartment somewhere and wait for life to stop.

to me, this is complete unmitigated nonsense....

• Like 1

It is fair to say that Thailand is being left behind, other countries are making the effort to improve both safety and standards and value for money which is a crucial element when your considering a tropical holiday destination. In addition, it seems that expats in particular are feeling more restricted than ever before, and again this puts further pressure on the amount that intend to stay in the Kingdom, especially on a long term basis. Overall, the good-feel factor is also on the decline, and it is felt that generally foreigners are not as welcome as they were before, and again this is reflected in the somewhat bizarre legislation that currently exists. The outlook is somewhat bleek, and it is hope that the country will acknowledge that there are many problems which can be rectified if the authorities have the will to change of course.

• Like 1

It is fair to say that Thailand is being left behind, other countries are making the effort to improve both safety and standards and value for money which is a crucial element when your considering a tropical holiday destination. In addition, it seems that expats in particular are feeling more restricted than ever before, and again this puts further pressure on the amount that intend to stay in the Kingdom, especially on a long term basis. Overall, the good-feel factor is also on the decline, and it is felt that generally foreigners are not as welcome as they were before, and again this is reflected in the somewhat bizarre legislation that currently exists. The outlook is somewhat bleek, and it is hope that the country will acknowledge that there are many problems which can be rectified if the authorities have the will to change of course.

Burma will take years to develop the necessary infrastructure but it has many islands the size of Phuket, whereas Thailand only has one which they have already turned into a slum and a paradise for scammers and corrupt police. Go figure.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

Agree on all points; However; i don't see anything changing for the better as Thai's have their heads firmly stuck in their own 'greatness', where all is well and nobody in the outside world knows better. Until they start to accept that other people have better idea's they will never progress.

• Like 1

Not until genuine democratic elections are held.

...and not until martial law is lifted... The current junta still feels, and rightfully so, that the political divide has not been mended yet. The martial law is used to curb a lot of political activities. However, for any tourists who is not well versed in the political landscape of Thailand, the mere mention of martial law (like a tag that you want to shed) will turn them off. Besides, the recent bad publicity on the crimes here kind of compounded this woe.

The junta is doing a lot of right things, cleaning up the beach vendors, sidewalks, taxi mafia, jet-ski mafia, etc. But is it enough for this year to turn it around?

The video ad was so nice that I thought about returning. Then I remembered why I left. w00t.gif

Realistically my annual 2 month foray into Asia might once again include thailand, but I will continue to read all of your fine comments here on TVF beforehand.

It is not only the state of emergency, now which westerner likes to be in a resort full of rude russians? I can't name any.

Also the scams should stop, the police has to be changed, the baht is too high, prices are too high, double pricing has to stop, number of roadaccidents has to decline, boats have to be more safe, slavery has to be stopped, poisoned food has to be stopped, farang wear bikini's thumbsup.gif , corruption has to be stopped.

Also there are many more holiday country's on the world who are cheaper and better.

And yet some of us choose to call this place home dispute all the negatives. With that said some of us have to base ourselves here for work. and would much prefer to be in our home country in a heart beat.

Anyway enough of this. I have to exchange some AUS$ with a nice man than said he would give me a great exchange rate so I can buy a seedless watermelon for 200 baht at the shops that I will ride my motorbike too without a helmet along the freeway. Of course if the police pull me over I will pay a 100 baht bribe and continue on my merry way.

Paradise!

Cya.

Each to our own...

Funny but also sad to say that during my last visit to the beautiful island of Ko Hong (national park?) we were disturbed by Chinese tour groups and especially their guides screaming through megaphones! The park rangers did nothing about it.

LOL, exactly the same thing happened to us at Kbal Spean, near Siem Reap, Cambodia. But they were Thai tourists with a Thai tour guide.

I guess they learned from the masters.

You can keep blaming political unrest...even though it ended 6 months ago.

Sooner or later you are going to have to face up to why tourists are really going elsewhere.

But milk it a little longer if it helps you sleep at night.

Agree there's bigger issues than the political unrest. Still, most people plan and book their holidays 6-12 months out. So problems from 6 months ago will still be having an affect today and for a while to come.

• Like 2

Thailand has fewer tourists than Russia or Turkey and fewer than 1/3 what France has. LINK

Its very true, its easy to forget that although Thailand has a sizeable tourist industry it is a long way behind the most visited, in fact it has only just made it into number 10 position.

France does indeed have a huge tourist industry, and its easy to see why. Rich culture, historical landmarks, museums, amazing cities (including the most romantic in the World), beautiful countryside and the 2 things for me are the language and of course the home of the worlds finest food and wine.

The downside? Its not cheap of course but over 80 million people thought it was worth the money during 2013 so clearly people still want quality.

Take note Thailand, if you want quality tourists look at what the best do,, you can start by dropping the obvious dislike for foreigners (farangs) and stop telling people you are the Land Of Smiles which you are clearly not,,, not sure Thailand ever was.

France has several land-based neighbours and is part of the EU - it is VERY VERY easy for tourists to flock into France from all sides via land as well as international flights and shipping.

France also SPENDS - or invests - a lot on the tourist industry, as a portion of the economy - it is about 10%

Thailand's tourism industry is between 7 and 10 % of GDP which is HUGE for any economy....especially a developing one

Perhaps but I think it is easy to get anywhere nowadays, and relatively cheap. There's still no denying for me that France is a great country to go on vacation with just about every single aspect of holiday making you could want,, city, culture, museums, nightlife, beauty, countryside, unspoilt landscapes and even skiing in the French Alps.

I would ask what is Thailand known for? Beautiful tropical islands perhaps but also for sex trade, ladyboys, scandals, corruption and many other bad things that I don't need to remind anyone of.

If Thailand wants to get its act together then they should just shut up, get o with it and start doing something,, start by cleaning up the sex trade and firing all the corrupt police,, will it happen? very doubtful, its all just hot air.

The result? People will eventually see it as a giant shitehole and go elsewhere,, surely everyone can see that?

• Like 2

Honestly i 'm very happy with the army and i don't see their bunkers anymore. Today i saw a bus full of them so they are still around which gives me a safe feeling. Last year i drove between protests, bombs, shootings, corrupt police, roadblocks and that's all over now thumbsup.gif

I'm not a Thai hater let that be clear. I only hope it will be a decent safe fair country one day without corruption, roadaccidents, scams, cheating and so on.

Funny thing is that the Thai still speak about democrazy, i taught my wife to never use the word that way but i wonder if they all do it on purpose. Probably they have no idea at all what democracy means so somebody has to explain it to them.

Today my new motorbike broke down. A security guard helped me perfectly, my honda dealer helped me perfect and now it is being fixed (warranty) and i got a replacementbike for free. What else could i want? My honda dealer even speaks good english and he can't help that the fuelpump died suddenly. I know i complaint a lot but if things go well i also will be the first one to say so.

There are a lot more problems for Thailand,that would deter tourists,

than just the coup,and they need to realize this.

regards Worgeordi

Are you talking about the slow down in the world economy in general along with other countries opening up more to tourists.

Do you think that the ability to walk the streets with out some one shooting at you because of their political alliances was an attraction and now that it is gone people won't come? I have no doubt in my mind that some did come for that. Thailand does not have a lock on the fruitcakes. Although you and I both know they were safer here then in a lot of first world countries with their crime ridden societies. I read yesterday that Baltimore has more murders in a week than Bangkok in a year.

Are you talking about the Farong pricing in certain parks I am sure that most people are unaware of that until they experience it and when they do they do not base their holiday plans on the few extra baht they cost. You can not be talking about the scammers as they have them in every country that draws tourists.

In short what art these other problems.

I admit the knee jerk reaction by many countries can be a hold back but most of them are lowering them and some like the states trying their darndest to get out of it but with their phony ideology having a hard time of it.

The tourist will come back only not on the time schedule TAT claims and maybe from other countries than in the past.wai.gif

Honestly i 'm very happy with the army and i don't see their bunkers anymore. Today i saw a bus full of them so they are still around which gives me a safe feeling. Last year i drove between protests, bombs, shootings, corrupt police, roadblocks and that's all over now thumbsup.gif

I'm not a Thai hater let that be clear. I only hope it will be a decent safe fair country one day without corruption, roadaccidents, scams, cheating and so on.

Funny thing is that the Thai still speak about democrazy, i taught my wife to never use the word that way but i wonder if they all do it on purpose. Probably they have no idea at all what democracy means so somebody has to explain it to them.

Today my new motorbike broke down. A security guard helped me perfectly, my honda dealer helped me perfect and now it is being fixed (warranty) and i got a replacementbike for free. What else could i want? My honda dealer even speaks good english and he can't help that the fuelpump died suddenly. I know i complaint a lot but if things go well i also will be the first one to say so.

Just the other day here in Chiang Mai we had the Army cooperating with the police in a big drug bust. the TAT should be advertising the improvement in Thailand with it's new government. Alas most of them are probably supporters of the previous regime that allowed things to get bad.

They really do need to start digging up some good news, but as long as the army are in the drivers seat, the point is moot. You can't spin camoflague and jack boots.

I don't get the stress. 5 to 10 years ago, they had 12 to 15 mn. Now they have 25. Did they think that the figures would just keep rising inexorably? This pause is probably the best thing that can have happened, because it isn't as though they have made any effort at investment in the infrastructure while this explosive growth was going on.

• Like 2

They really do need to start digging up some good news, but as long as the army are in the drivers seat, the point is moot. You can't spin camoflague and jack boots.

I don't get the stress. 5 to 10 years ago, they had 12 to 15 mn. Now they have 25. Did they think that the figures would just keep rising inexorably? This pause is probably the best thing that can have happened, because it isn't as though they have made any effort at investment in the infrastructure while this explosive growth was going on.

Good point...and I think with all the problems of the past, the number of tourists just kept rising....and the TAT thought they were the smartest people in the world.

Hotel rooms seemed to grow ahead of the curve, while security, infrastructure, safety, cleanliness, etc dragged far behind the curve, if at all.

Now the rooms are empty, the bookings aren't coming, and the people see Thailand for what it has become - a pretty sad, run down, unsafe place with third world infrastructure and empty glitzy shopping malls, and the TAT is run by an idiot who does not have a clue.

I think the next few years will be a tourism correction that Thailand needs, but the boom days of European and higher end tourism is over. Chinese, Indian, Russian and budget travelers will be more the norm.

Question is, will Thailand be smart and clean up its act, improve what is lacking and invest where is needed to bring back the tourists, or will it complain, raise prices and sink further into the crapper because they spent all the money?

I am so glad I am not involved in tourism in Thailand.

• Like 1