CNN International quits Russia

webfact

CNN International quits Russia

MOSCOW, Russia - CNN International notified Russian cable and satellite networks operators that from December 31 it will stop its broadcast in Russia. No official reasons for the decision were given .

According to TASS press agency, the corresponding letter was distributed by TBS Europe - the channel’s managing company.

Russian operators "Acad" and "VimpelCom" confirmed the fact of receipt of the letter.

Russia’s federal media watchdog Roskomnadzor denied it has anything to do with CNN International’s plans to stop broadcasting in Russia, claiming that "any foreign channel can freely get a broadcast license in Russian Federation in compliance with the procedures prescribed by law."

The general director of Turner Broadcasting System (CIS), Tatiana Kalita, declined to comment.

The representative of the company has explained that the move comes amid recent amendments in Russia’s law concerning mass media.

"Turner International is exploring options for the distribution of CNN in Russia in the light of recent amendments in Russian legislation concerning mass media.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/52428/cnn-international-quits-russia

-- eTN 2014-11-11

More tilting at windmills. cheesy.gif

Edit in: Any good news for Rachel since February?

Your link:

Rachel Maddow Beats Fox News – Again
Posted by Mark NC on February 10, 2014 at 8:11 pm.
Edited by chuckd

Fox News had more people watching for the last election than the free network channels.

It certainly is the channel for right wing weirdoes who believe the rubbish spouted by Hannity,Coulter and

O'Reiily.

I will give them credit for getting rid of the extreme right winger Glen Beck.

As for CNN I find it impossible to watch presenters who look like shop window dummy's.

Are there really American women who wear their make up and hair like that?

The BBC seems to repeat the same stuff over and over again.

Russia has a better product than CNN in Russia Today but Al Jazeera takes some beating.

If you live in Thailand you are very likely watching CNN International.

Those women who look like shop window dummies are broadcasting from either London or Hong Kong and are generally NOT American women.

I don't get Fox, RT or Al Jazeera? What do the women look like on Al Jazeera? Just curious.

• Like 1

Yeah, let's see what people actually watch. tongue.png For the 50th straight quarter. w00t.gif

OMG. Say it isn't so. As much as all of the other MSM channels combined. LINK

n-1.jpg

If you really are a patriotic American, it's not something to crow about, more something to hide out of shame.

Watching television is not included in any credible definition of patriotism. Or not watching television. Or what one chooses to watch on television.

That which one chooses to watch on television is completely irrelevant and immaterial to any credible definition of patriotism.

Neither is there any demonstrated relationship between crows and patriots.

It's a shameful post and a shameless one too..

• Like 2

Yeah, let's see what people actually watch. tongue.png For the 50th straight quarter. w00t.gif

n-1.jpg

If you really are a patriotic American, it's not something to crow about, more something to hide out of shame.

Watching television is not included in any credible definition of patriotism. Or not watching television. Or what one chooses to watch on television.

That which one chooses to watch on television is completely irrelevant and immaterial to any credible definition of patriotism.

Zooooooom. Completely over your head.

I agree with your first 2 lines, though all they do is serve to show your incomprehension. You must be a Fox viewer!

Your next two are rather silly.

Most of CNN and the BBC broadcasters are working for Al- Jazeera now, earning a lot more

than the old jobs... as for the Russkies, they will pirate the single as of 1st Jan. 2015, no

worries there...

Spot on.

There is a superb cross section of journalists from across the world,working for Al. Jaz.

The money is good but the downside is being stuck in Doha.

• Like 2

n-1.jpg

Zooooooom. Completely over your head.

I agree with your first 2 lines, though all they do is serve to show your incomprehension. You must be a Fox viewer!

Your next two are rather silly.

Too late, the post remains the post. Editing time has long passed so you can't take it back.

I may have missed something in the post, but if you were being less than serious you should have been more than clear.

I thought you were pretty clear.

Time to move along......

Does anyone feel that Russia is stepping back into Communism or at least into a police state or dictatorship? Seems like Russia was a much calmer country shortly after the wall came down, but now power hungry people seem to be in leadership roles and I'll bet elections will soon become a farce if they aren't already. Maybe the mafia is now in charge, but one thing is for certain, Russia is becoming a scary country again. A country with Nuclear Weapons.

Fascinating: this paragraph provides a fairly accurate description of the United States of America.

Police state? ask citizens of Ferguson or LA or or....

Dictatorship? Edward Snowden gave us the lowdown on how much a dicatorship relies on spying

Wall (non-existent in Russia)? How about the proposals to block all migrants from Mexico?

Power-hungry people? Look at cosy relationship between Wall St and government....

Elections as farce? Ask Al Gore what he thinks of the electoral process....

Mafia? Say no more....

Scary country? Look around you.

Nuclear Weapons????? 3 senior Air Force officers in charge of nuclear weapons recently sacked...

And so on and so on....

• Like 2

The problem with FOX is they are not a News channel but a commentary channel. I like to watch the FOX pundits

from time to time just to see how outrageous there commentary can be. I do like to watch CNN, MS NBC, and BBC as well

but as they tend to be on 20 min. loops or go hog wild on particular stories, OJ, Oscar P. etc I like to watch

business news on Blomberg and CNBC. So I get a good cross section of them all. Personally I like CBC (Canada)

the best for news reporting with much less commentary.

How does one spell CNN is it FOX? We here in Chiang Mai are a captive audience with WETV to the left wing bashing by FOX. Their whole news format consists of bashing Democrats. I wish we would switch to CNN. FOX is not a news channel but a ring wing fist wielded by the Republicans. In 2016 the next midterms they will be crying that the Democrats stole the election. Every midterm seems to swing back and forth between the two parties as voters have no other choice. It seems to me that billions of dollars were spent on this years midterm. What a waste of money.

• Like 1

Russian media is tightly controlled by the government. From the article in the OP, CNN isn't the first to leave:

Previously several other foreign news outlets - Radio Liberty, Voice of America, Radio France Internationale, BBC's Russian Hour and Deutsche Welle, ceased operations in Russia because of the hostile media regulations.

I'm amazed at the comment regarding Russia Today. If CNN was run by the US government, I'd had to think what members here would say. But RT, in their view, is OK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)

Here's a exit interview from a broadcaster from Russia Today:

Freedom of speech is not possible in Russia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

Russia ranks below Burma and Cambodia.

How does one spell CNN is it FOX? We here in Chiang Mai are a captive audience with WETV to the left wing bashing by FOX.

We are not "captive" to anything other than being ill-informed. WETV also carries the BBC, Al Jazeera, Channel News Asia and several other news channels. If you don't like Fox, turn the station.
  • Like 2

Does anyone feel that Russia is stepping back into Communism or at least into a police state or dictatorship? Seems like Russia was a much calmer country shortly after the wall came down, but now power hungry people seem to be in leadership roles and I'll bet elections will soon become a farce if they aren't already. Maybe the mafia is now in charge, but one thing is for certain, Russia is becoming a scary country again. A country with Nuclear Weapons.

Fascinating: this paragraph provides a fairly accurate description of the United States of America.

Police state? ask citizens of Ferguson or LA or or....

Dictatorship? Edward Snowden gave us the lowdown on how much a dicatorship relies on spying

Wall (non-existent in Russia)? How about the proposals to block all migrants from Mexico?

Power-hungry people? Look at cosy relationship between Wall St and government....

Elections as farce? Ask Al Gore what he thinks of the electoral process....

Mafia? Say no more....

Scary country? Look around you.

Nuclear Weapons????? 3 senior Air Force officers in charge of nuclear weapons recently sacked...

And so on and so on....

I agree with your take on US Elections. FYI, Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) once said, "If having the Right to Vote meant anything, They wouldn't allow us to do it!" That was said over 100 years ago. Some things never change.

Edited by SinCityGr8One
  • Like 1

Replace "Russia" with "USA" and I'd say, definitely!

Russia? Take a close look at the USA (USSRA?)

• Like 1

n-1.jpg

Yeah but you present only half the story....

The Spinmeister strikes again - still posting left-wing propaganda. May is a notoriously low month for ratings for everyone on cable TV. News audiences always trend older, and the viewers of Fox’s competitors are hardly youngsters either. MSNBC’s median age for its prime-time shows is 60.6; CNN’s is 59.8.

Q2 2014 Cable News Ratings: Fox News Hits 50th Straight Quarter at #1

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/q2-2014-cable-news-ratings-fox-news-hits-50th-straight-quarter-at-1/

If there’s any bad news for Fox, it’s that numbers are going down for ALL cable news outlets

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

You'll be telling us Fox are fair and balanced next.

To get back to the point CNN have had their day.

Most international breaking news is supplied by the two global news agencies,Reuters and AP.

All the rest is comment and discussion.

China also has a global news feed,CCTV , fronted by western journalists.

CNN has been hit hard by the competition and has closed most of its global beaurex.