Reggae Strip In Chiang Mai

Krupnik

Why not ask the bar operators? Or the owners of some of the restaurants there? (Salsa Kitchen for example)

Because sadly I am not there anymore as I had to take my flight home a week ago. I heard about this after I left. (I will be going back again as soon as I've made enough money in England!) Anyone else heard about this?

Hear it about every two or three months. And it's never amounted to anything except the Rasta Bar closing and reopening with another name and music so loud that the Salsa Kitchen hardly needs to play any.

Cheers - what else did you hear? I heard it won't be happening for another three years... You think it's not true then?

I too heard this almost a year ago, but am very good friends with several of the owner/operators in that area and have not heard much since. In fact, I don't believe that the owners of Utopia would have made the recent internet/travel shop addition, Rasta/Babylon to continue to remodel, Kaya to just be built, etc.... just to have to tear everything down eventually, too much money would be lost.

I too heard this almost a year ago, but am very good friends with several of the owner/operators in that area and have not heard much since. In fact, I don't believe that the owners of Utopia would have made the recent internet/travel shop addition, Rasta/Babylon to continue to remodel, Kaya to just be built, etc.... just to have to tear everything down eventually, too much money would be lost.

Thanks Amy.

let me know when they turn this reggae strip into something more interesting. for eg. reggae thai boys start to wash their hair and farang women stop falling all over them.

The live music is good and it has a lively atmosphere and it's open pretty late. The best area to end up in of a night of boozing in Chiang Mai, in my opinon that is.

let me know when they turn this reggae strip into something more interesting. for eg. reggae thai boys start to wash their hair and farang women stop falling all over them.

The live music is good and it has a lively atmosphere and it's open pretty late. The best area to end up in of a night of boozing in Chiang Mai, in my opinon that is.

fancy having a beer then so that i can see whats so good about it? perhaps i missed out on something.

fancy having a beer then so that i can see whats so good about it? perhaps i missed out on something.

I'd have a beer there right now if I wasn't now back in London!! I'll be back soon though, just as soon as I've made enough money here!

Check it out again though - I'd be making the most of it if I was still there. Let us know what you think if you do!

This area is really for cheap, young whippersnappers. Not much for us Senior citizens.

However, Salsa Kitchen is well worth a visit for non-spring-chickens, but you might have to get a young un' to carry your wheel chair up the rickety, bamboo steps! :o

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, I just remembered that I posted this all that time ago when I was still back home.

Last night Babylon 'officially' shut down, Utopia is gone, so is Salsa Kitchen, and this weekend will see the close of Roots Rock Reggae. Very sad. It is the end of an era. If anyone is interested I can tell you about new locations. I hope they can still keep their custom.

It would seem that 99% of ThaiVisa members met their GF in a top University.

So why are there so many Farangs complaining that their wife is as thick as <deleted> ?

please post a link to where a farang has said his wife is a thick as <deleted>! I have not seen any.

The Royal India just moved in a short time ago and don't plan on going anywhere. They are further down the same street. :o

The Royal India just moved in a short time ago and don't plan on going anywhere. They are further down the same street. :o

That part of the strip is safe. From Babylon upwards they're all going or have already gone.

Edited by Krupnik

Sorry to revive an old thread, I just remembered that I posted this all that time ago when I was still back home.

Last night Babylon 'officially' shut down, Utopia is gone, so is Salsa Kitchen, and this weekend will see the close of Roots Rock Reggae. Very sad. It is the end of an era. If anyone is interested I can tell you about new locations. I hope they can still keep their custom.

Oops..didn't have my glasses on.

Actually Salsa Kitchen is the only one that is actually moving to another area (Haey Kaew.)

Utopia is going to be in the place that is next door to Zoe in Yellow.

Babylon is going to be in the bar near to Cafe del Sol next to the Tea House place formerly Bohemian Bar.

Roots Rock are going back to their old location which has formerly been Bar Tender.

What's Up Bar closed some time ago but I don't know - don't think they moved anywhere else.

Although most bars are remaining in some form or another it won't be the same because they will all be squished in to one tiny part of it and it won't feel like being in one is much different from another. It's completely ruining the strip.

Friday last night Roots Rock Reggae at old location (big party)... Saturday opening "new" location.

Heaven Beach is 'safe' for the time being although they had to pull some of it down and open up the front it looks totally different if you've been past.

Yeah the party at Roots was one of the biggest I've seen on the strip! They open up today in the old location which for the past few months has been known as Bar Tender.

Babylon is going to be in the bar near to Cafe del Sol next to the Tea House place formerly Bohemian Bar.

Can I get a location on this ... I only stop in at the salsa kitchen and don't know these other places ... are they in the same location?

Yes, you only need to walk a few yards from the old venues to find the new ones. It's just that they're all bunched up in one end now instead of spread out over the strip.