EU court ruling backs curbs on 'benefit tourism'

webfact

Never said it was a racist ruling......far from it.

I said UKIP is racist, just my opinion.

If he gets his way, EU citizens will once again become migrants to each other.

I also think the people of the UK would vote to remain in the EU for a number of reasons, but that's not the topic.

2 years ago Cameron denounced UKIP as bunch of racists and basket cases. How times have changed.

If he gets his way, it will mean that the UK has control of its borders. Thats as it should be, a Country that says who comes in and who doesn't.

As for the people of the UK voting to stay in the EU, total speculation, and I think you just might be wrong.

I also think the people of the UK : Does that mean that you are not from the UK ?

• Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think the people of the UK would vote to remain in the EU for a number of reasons, but that's not the topic.

2 years ago Cameron denounced UKIP as bunch of racists and basket cases. How times have changed.

If he gets his way, it will mean that the UK has control of its borders. Thats as it should be, a Country that says who comes in and who doesn't.

As for the people of the UK voting to stay in the EU, total speculation, and I think you just might be wrong.

I also think the people of the UK : Does that mean that you are not from the UK ?

Without going off Topic,it's only 6 months away from some shock results at the next UK Election!

Highlighting the fact that the UK population has grown by 7% in a decade John Major has warned there is a 50 % chance the UK will leave the EU.

One thing is for sure we have not expanded our hospitals or schools etc by 7% in that period. I would also question whether the number of jobs has increased by 7% and where are the houses to accommodate them?

Speaking in Germany to the BBC he said Britain had accepted one of if not the largest population movement in peacetime European history and further big influxes would cause huge public disquiet.

It is a matter of numbers. Whereas some European populations are falling, the UK has grown by seven per cent in a decade, he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30032615

While someone else addresses the problem Blair is waltzing around the world earning millions while his wife continues adding to their property portfolio. Good old labour politics. Never practice what you preach.

• Like 1

I speak from personal experience, having spent 45 years working in, around, and with families.

The youth of today either can't work.....or don't want to work.

A classic example, a few years ago a family friend came home from work one day and announced some good news to his 19 year old son.

A position had opened for a junior worker at his place of employment.

Speaking to his son, he said "you start after the holiday break in January, how's that for a Xmas present"

The son replied "I'd rather have a new X-Box".

Unfortunately, that's the attitude of to many of today's youth in the UK.

From my own experience of the workplace, for every shifty and mopey heel dragged that appears, I can point to excellent young workers who come in to the workplace brimming with a great work ethic and enthusiasm to get ahead, but the lament narrative either isn't aware of them at all or chooses to conveniently ignore them. Most importantly of all, I can point to many (especially males) who came in with an eager work ethic, did everything right by the book and show great commitment, outpeforming long termers (some of whom are on cast iron contracts and excellent pay deals from years ago, protected by strong unions) many times over but find themselves treated like disposable whores in return for all their efforts, leaving highly dissilusioned and resentfull young men behind in its wake. I've certainly worked with youth of the kind you are probably referring to, but also with others who were nothing like that but ended up as shadows of their formers selves further down the line for various reasons. It is not 1950, it is 2014 and the options, stability of income and the kind of relationship between employers and the employed is a world apart. In 2014, we're defined as - "human resources", no longer "personnel", and from that seed a bitter fruit forms I'm not here to defend the work shy and those who may be scamming the system. I'm here to defend the hard working among youths who are being ignored as if they don't even exist. Anyone who wishes to alienate an entire generation and cause subsequent resentment, only needs to keep pumping out that sort of narrative about them.

• Like 2

How bizarre. EU Court makes its ruling yesterday.

And yet certain posters on this forum have been ranting endlessly, that benefit tourism by EU migrants was a myth and did not happen in the UK.

Well done the EU Court. I wonder what the ruling would have been had it been the UK that brought the case and not Germany ?

I would think it would have been the same outcome because this is not like a u-turn of a previous law or anything like that. EU countries have always been able to run their welfare systems the way they want which have their own respective rules in respective countries. Thus far has not been centrally governed via Brussels.

But then again, the UK would have happily paid her anyway because our rules on benefits have always been the most desirable in the EU. That was the UK government's choice to allow such access to a welfare system they have paid not a single penny into.

I find it gross that Cameron is parading this as some sort of 'victory'...... You got to be kidding me. It is business as usual in Benefits Britain.

I am always suspicious of European Courts doing the UK a favour!

Is this the same European Court that robbed our Pensioners of annual increases of their UK State Pensions????

"I find it gross that Cameron is parading this as some sort of 'victory'"

But of course! there is a UK general election looming in 6 months time, so Cameron is desperate for some claim to victory,just like the alledged success on curbing Immigration which he claimed would be below 10,000 immigrants per annum,the last count a couple of weeks ago,was 250,000 above Home Secretary Teresa Mays prediction? so reducing immigration is not going to happen,unless we pull out of Europe!

This latest Court Ruling on Benefit Tourism may be too little too late to stop,the UK from exiting from Europe!

I am always suspicious of European Courts doing the UK a favour!

Is this the same European Court that robbed our Pensioners of annual increases of their UK State Pensions????

Hmmmm I thought so!!!

Edited by MAJIC

Only a person requiring a Visa for another Country would be classed as an Economic Migrant and could be refused entry. Under the EU freedom of movement directive she didn't need a Visa to reside in Germany from Rumania, so couldn't be refused entry, therefore as the article quite rightly states is classed as an EU Citizen.

The EEA right of entry only applies for 3 months. Thereafter, if she fails to establish herself in one of the relevant categories, and it sounds as though she did fail, she has no right to remain under EU rules. I don't know whether EEA citizens have the right to do back-to-back visa runs - I think not.

Of course, once Romania is admitted to the Schengen agreement, there won't be any borders for the likes of her to be refused at.

EU law includes a right to refuse entry to extremely undesirable EEA citizens - I'm not sure how much of this right remains available within Schengen.

Belgium seems to have a policy of expelling unemployed EEA foreigners. There's more than one discussion of the legal position of expelling unemployed EEA citizens on the Internet. At present, governments are more generous than EU laws demand.

Economic migrants moving to a place for improved financial position.... Hold on....

Is there a point to that statement ? Or are you just opening your mouth and letting your belly rumble ?
Someone with your superior intellectual capacity should be able to work that one out....you are an immigrant after all...

Yep, and as I have said before, your level of education dictates that you will never understand how wrong you are.
Wrong that you are an immigrant? No, you are one fella. Suck it up.

But as always, your condecention is breathtaking. Not being able to take pot shots at the locals here must be frustrating!

Edited by samran

Faz

A classic example, a few years ago a family friend came home from work one day and announced some good news to his 19 year old son.

Speaking to his son, he said "you start after the holiday break in January, how's that for a Xmas present"

Who's fault would that be ? The father or the son ?

If I had said that to my father I would have woke up in hospital.

If my son had said that to me, he would have woke up in hospital.

Bit of an exaggeration of course, but I'm sure you get my point.

And not before time either.

I find it gross that Cameron is parading this as some sort of 'victory'...... You got to be kidding me. It is business as usual in Benefits Britain.

Mind you we expat pensioners of course are still discriminated against and we paid our way for all of our working lives.

Paid. Past tense. They will get no more out of you, so you are now useless to them and can be kicked to the curb. Personally I think it stinks, but there's the UK Government for you...

A quantity of argumentative bickering posts removed.

Debate/discuss the topic NOT the poster.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

JockPieandBeans, on 13 Nov 2014 - 23:21, said:

I think the avatar speaks for itself Jock. Born and raised in Manchester, UK.

I spoke in the past tense as I now live in Thailand (a migrant)

JockPieandBeans, on 13 Nov 2014 - 23:21, said:

The UK still has it's borders, that's why the UK didn't sign the Schengen treaty.

Lissos, on 14 Nov 2014 - 03:05, said:
Faz, on 13 Nov 2014 - 12:08, said:

I speak from personal experience, having spent 45 years working in, around, and with families.

The youth of today either can't work.....or don't want to work.

Unfortunately, that's the attitude of to many of today's youth in the UK.

From my own experience of the workplace, for every shifty and mopey heel dragged that appears, I can point to excellent young workers who come in to the workplace brimming with a great work ethic and enthusiasm to get ahead, but the lament narrative either isn't aware of them at all or chooses to conveniently ignore them. Most importantly of all, I can point to many (especially males) who came in with an eager work ethic, did everything right by the book and show great commitment, outpeforming long termers (some of whom are on cast iron contracts and excellent pay deals from years ago, protected by strong unions) many times over but find themselves treated like disposable whores in return for all their efforts, leaving highly dissilusioned and resentfull young men behind in its wake. I've certainly worked with youth of the kind you are probably referring to, but also with others who were nothing like that but ended up as shadows of their formers selves further down the line for various reasons. It is not 1950, it is 2014 and the options, stability of income and the kind of relationship between employers and the employed is a world apart. In 2014, we're defined as - "human resources", no longer "personnel", and from that seed a bitter fruit forms I'm not here to defend the work shy and those who may be scamming the system. I'm here to defend the hard working among youths who are being ignored as if they don't even exist. Anyone who wishes to alienate an entire generation and cause subsequent resentment, only needs to keep pumping out that sort of narrative about them.

Note, I said either can't or don't want to work.

I also know a lot of unemployed youth who studies hard to get decrees and diplomas, only to be told they are over qualified for many job opportunities.

In short it's as bad as it's ever been for todays youth to find a job, either through a lack of incentive or job opportunities.

Some get lucky through perseverance..

What happened to all the apprenticeships for the youth in the skilled sector.?

Gone.............replaced by zero hour contracts............what a joke.

Someone with your superior intellectual capacity should be able to work that one out....you are an immigrant after all...

Yep, and as I have said before, your level of education dictates that you will never understand how wrong you are.

But as always, your condecention is breathtaking. Not being able to take pot shots at the locals here must be frustrating!

Wrong again.

Thailand, the Country where I live, class me as a Non - Imm. They have even stamped it in my passport

JockPieandBeans, on 14 Nov 2014 - 08:40, said:

Faz

Who's fault would that be ? The father or the son ?

If I had said that to my father I would have woke up in hospital.

If my son had said that to me, he would have woke up in hospital.

Bit of an exaggeration of course, but I'm sure you get my point.

Times change Jock. Kids can quote you the Human Rights Act now!

You can't lay a finger on them or force them to do anything they don't want to do now.

I remember when a 'copper' could give you a clip around the ear and you didn't dare tell your parents for fear of another crack.

You could also jump from job to job when we were youths then..................now their lucky to have a job.

Times change Jock. Kids can quote you the Human Rights Act now!

You can't lay a finger on them or force them to do anything they don't want to do now.

That they do. I dont think mine would quote any human rights at me. Not that they would need to, but they know better.

I was pretty fortunate that I never had to lift a finger to mine. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, and I always found the best way was to play them at their own game.

It does not matter where the immigrants come from the infrastructure is now at breaking point with an increase of 7% in the UK population over the last decade .

The NHS is facing meltdown.

This from the Health. Minister in today's Guardian.

Emergency admissions are growing about 3-4% year in, year out. We are very aware that over this winter there is going to be some real pressure there. The pressures are higher than they have ever been before in the system.

He added: It is worth also asking the question, is this going to go on like this? Are we going to have to continue having to put more and more sums into the NHS to withstand these pressures?

It is not sustainable in the long run to say that all the extra pressure in the NHS has to be borne by A&E departments.

Hospitals have had to cope with an extra 1m visits to A&E every year compared with 2010, and 2,000 extra ambulance journeys a day, Hunt said.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/14/nhs-funding-boost-300m-as-a-and-es-face-unprecedented-demand-this-winter

Schools,housing,the court system,costs of translation services all an extra burden on the UK taxpayer.

Sadly not enough money left in the pot for the ex pat pensioners escaping to Thailand on frozen pensions.

Edited by Jay Sata

300m boost for NHS to cope with winter demand

The extra funding is to cope with higher demand as sick patients are urged to stay away from hospitals and go to chemists instead.

http://news.sky.com/story/1372961/300m-nhs-boost-to-cope-with-winter-demand

Just dont try and see a doctor, winter will be over before you can get an appointment.

It does not matter where the immigrants come from the infrastructure is now at breaking point with an increase of 7% in the UK population over the last decade .

The NHS is facing meltdown.

This from the Health. Minister in today's Guardian.

Emergency admissions are growing about 3-4% year in, year out. We are very aware that over this winter there is going to be some real pressure there. The pressures are higher than they have ever been before in the system.

He added: It is worth also asking the question, is this going to go on like this? Are we going to have to continue having to put more and more sums into the NHS to withstand these pressures?

It is not sustainable in the long run to say that all the extra pressure in the NHS has to be borne by A&E departments.

Hospitals have had to cope with an extra 1m visits to A&E every year compared with 2010, and 2,000 extra ambulance journeys a day, Hunt said.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/14/nhs-funding-boost-300m-as-a-and-es-face-unprecedented-demand-this-winter

Schools,housing,the court system,costs of translation services all an extra burden on the UK taxpayer.

Sadly not enough money left in the pot for the ex pat pensioners escaping to Thailand on frozen pensions.

John Major in Germany

Mr Major said this issue had to be part of negotiations, adding that providing for the number of migrants currently predicted to come to "our small island" was not "physically or politically possible without huge public disquiet".

http://news.sky.com/story/1372947/sir-john-major-chance-of-leaving-eu-50-50

2 years ago he would have been a racist for uttering such words.

I am just glad I live just outside a rural village in the middle of East. Anglia where little has changed in the last fifty years.

I guess deepest rural England does not appeal to those crossing the channel to take advantage of our generosity.

There are now some parts of the UK that have changed beyond all recognition.

That is why UKIP has emerged.

Edited by Jay Sata

JockPieandBeans, on 14 Nov 2014 - 16:11, said:
samran, on 14 Nov 2014 - 07:05, said:
JockPieandBeans, on 13 Nov 2014 - 22:33, said:

Wrong again.

Thailand, the Country where I live, class me as a Non - Imm. They have even stamped it in my passport

That one cracked me up Jock cheesy.gif ............not laughed so much in ages.

You can show your passport to the DWP then and get your yearly Pension increases because your not an Immigrant..................clap2.gif

• Like 1

You can show your passport to the DWP then and get your yearly Pension increases because your not an Immigrant..................clap2.gif

If guess people head down to 'non-immigration' for their extension of stays as well...

I can hear the conversation now 'I am not an immigrant. I AM AN EXPAT!!!'.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Its called sharing the wealth, where poor countries fleece the richer ones.

You mean the Country's who for hundreds of years stood up and fought for freedom and justice, and have a good life style,

Maybe the Other Country's that just want to jump on the free bandwagon, should maybe grow a set and fight for what we in Britain have fought for for years, IN there own Country, should do the same. instead of just wanting easy hand outs.

Edited by Thongkorn

JockPieandBeans, on 14 Nov 2014 - 16:11, said:
samran, on 14 Nov 2014 - 07:05, said:
JockPieandBeans, on 13 Nov 2014 - 22:33, said:

Wrong again.

Would love to Faz.

Unfortunately I am nowhere near UK retirement age. By the time I reach that age I doubt very much that there will still be a State Pension. Speculation on my part of course.

If a State pension comes my way it will be nothing more than an added bonus.

JockPieandBeans, on 15 Nov 2014 - 08:02, said:JockPieandBeans, on 15 Nov 2014 - 08:02, said:
Faz, on 14 Nov 2014 - 18:22, said:Faz, on 14 Nov 2014 - 18:22, said:
JockPieandBeans, on 14 Nov 2014 - 16:11, said:JockPieandBeans, on 14 Nov 2014 - 16:11, said:JockPieandBeans, on 14 Nov 2014 - 16:11, said:
samran, on 14 Nov 2014 - 07:05, said:samran, on 14 Nov 2014 - 07:05, said:samran, on 14 Nov 2014 - 07:05, said:

Wrong again.

Would love to Faz.

Unfortunately I am nowhere near UK retirement age. By the time I reach that age I doubt very much that there will still be a State Pension. Speculation on my part of course.

If a State pension comes my way it will be nothing more than an added bonus.

I'm still laughing Jock. I've got visions of thousands of TV members reading your post and now writing to the DWP claiming their increases because they have a Visa which states they are Non-Imm.

What is an Immigrant?

A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/immigrant

Although your intention may be to leave the UK/USA etc and permanently live in Thailand, unfortunately the Thai government do not offer a Visa for this purpose.

Therefore in the eyes of the Thai authority your Visa is a Non Imm, i.e. It is not a Visa on which you can permanently reside in Thailand.

In the eyes of the UK, you are an Immigrant because you migrated to live permanently in another Country. The fact that Country may not offer a suitable Visa to permanently live there is not their concern. The UK has no reciprocal agreements with Thailand about Pensions, so you don't get the yearly increases.

The other side of the coin, the UK does offer a Visa to permanently reside in the UK. So a Thai could apply for a 'Settlement Visa' (providing they meet the criteria for this Visa). After 5 years residency in the UK as an Immigrant, they can apply for Indefinate Leave to Remain (after again meeting the requirements) and they now become a 'permanent resident' and free of Immigration rules.

In Thailand we constantly have to deal with Immigration here, so we are classed as 'aliens' as opposed to 'Immigrants' because we never held a Visa allowing us permanent residency.

What is an Immigrant?

A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another

http://www.thefreedi...y.com/immigrant

I know Faz.

I have not decided yet whether I will live here on a permanent basis. For now it suits me. That could change next week or next year.

I have never found dealing with Immigration here to be a hassle or a chore, its always been straightforward and easy. I understand that others have not had the same experience. But I will certainly not complain about the whole hour it took to renew my annual extension yesterday.

Whether they want to call me a Non - Imm or Alien I could not really care less.

I would much rather be here than in the UK.

And for what it is worth. I find it abhorrent that the UK pensioners that now reside in Thailand do not get the annual increases that they should be getting.

JockPieandBeans, on 15 Nov 2014 - 12:12, said:

I would much rather be here than in the UK.

And for what it is worth. I find it abhorrent that the UK pensioners that now reside in Thailand do not get the annual increases that they should be getting.

Agreed Jock, I've got a few years to go before I get the UK state pensions.

There is pressure on the government, maybe it will change before I am in that situation, otherwise it's plan B. whistling.gif

This story in the Guardian today makes a mockery of those claiming UK people do not want to work.

A Northampton sandwich maker claims locals don't want jobs.

From Budapest came news that representatives of a big employer in Caroline Dales corner of Northampton the Greencore sandwich factory were in Hungary hiring workers for the minimum wage of £6.50 an hour. The 32-year-old mother of five said she had looked for a job for months, had sandwich factory experience and was furious she had not heard about the vacancies.

I think it is terrible, she said as she wheeled her son to playgroup. I would work for £5 an hour. I would do any hard graft; if I had to pick up litter I would do it. We are born and bred here and we are screaming for help. We are looking for these jobs but they are not looking for us. The sandwich storm blew up on Monday after the Daily Mails front page asked: Is there no one left in Britain who can make a sandwich?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/14/outrage-among-northampton-over-sandwich-jobs-insult

Edited by Jay Sata

This story in the Guardian today makes a mockery of those claiming UK people do not want to work.

A Northampton sandwich maker claims locals don't want jobs.

From Budapest came news that representatives of a big employer in Caroline Dales corner of Northampton the Greencore sandwich factory were in Hungary hiring workers for the minimum wage of £6.50 an hour. The 32-year-old mother of five said she had looked for a job for months, had sandwich factory experience and was furious she had not heard about the vacancies.

I think it is terrible, she said as she wheeled her son to playgroup. I would work for £5 an hour. I would do any hard graft; if I had to pick up litter I would do it. We are born and bred here and we are screaming for help. We are looking for these jobs but they are not looking for us. The sandwich storm blew up on Monday after the Daily Mails front page asked: Is there no one left in Britain who can make a sandwich?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/14/outrage-among-northampton-over-sandwich-jobs-insult

Of course its all a mockery.

There are 1000's of people who are looking and willing to work, but cannot find any. Sure, there are some that dont want to work, but they will be in the minority.

I will try and find a link for a story that I read a couple of years ago, where jobcentre plus ( or whatever they are called ) Were advertising jobs in European Countries but not in the UK.

Meanwhile the Daily Mail has tracked down the Roma woman at the centre of the court case.

The newly married mother whose husband is also unemployed moved four years ago from Romania to Leipzig, where her sister Cristina had already relocated with her husband and five children.

Dano is a convicted criminal who has never worked a day in her life but has been given a State-funded flat and a range of benefits.

The European ruling this week, however, means she cannot claim welfare benefits intended for jobseekers because she has made no effort to find employment in Germany.

The judgment suggests the UK can, similarly, refuse to pay welfare benefits to migrants who have moved to Britain simply to live off the State.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2835442/The-Roma-gipsy-sparked-crackdown-benefit-tourism-Elisabeta-Dano-25-tracked-German-city-finding-centre-landmark-welfare-case.html#ixzz3J7dNcCmE

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook