Thailand: Non-alcoholic beverages to be taxed

webfact

Non-alcoholic beverages to be taxed

13-11-2557-11-13-12-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Excise Department will propose the government to levy tax on non-alcoholic beverages in its attempt to generate more revenue to the state after its excise tax collection fell below target.

Somchai Poonsawat, the director-general of the Excise Department, said that he would propose the collection of excise tax on non-alcoholic beverages through the re-regulation of raw materials from nature used in the mixture of the beverages.

He said the current 10% tax on such beverages might be increased to 30-50%. For example tax on green tea beverage which is exempted from tax might face a 10% tax which will generate additional two billion baht more to 5-6 billion baht a year

Meanwhile he said that the Excise Department would also send officials to inspect tourist spots in the country after the cabinet has banned the import of Baraku water-pipe smoking equipment and Baraku tobacco into the country.

He said 6,400 tons of such equipment and Baraku tobacco has been seized since the ban.

He also said that the department would step up check during the upcoming New Year festival, particularly at the border checkpoints.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/non-alcoholic-beverages-taxed/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-13

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• >He said the current 10% tax on such beverages might be increased to 30-50%. For example tax on green tea beverage which is exempted from tax might face a 10% tax which will generate additional two billion baht more to 5-6 billion baht a year< Quote

How does a extempted product create 3-4 billion in taxrevenue??

Next they can tax walking, then breathing, then who knows what else.

Yes,yes, I know these products are already taxed BUT a 50% increase is ridiculous. It doesn't matter that the products have a low selling price, they are still consumer products and as such should fall under some sort of regulation.

• Like 2

• >He said the current 10% tax on such beverages might be increased to 30-50%. For example tax on green tea beverage which is exempted from tax might face a 10% tax which will generate additional two billion baht more to 5-6 billion baht a year< Quote

How does a extempted product create 3-4 billion in taxrevenue??

I think it was just poorly worded English, I think the author meant to say "will generate an additional 2 to 5 or 6 billion baht a year" .....??

Well, this puts to bed the lie 'we tax alcohol for people's health' bs to bed once and for all, does it not.

Don't know really, a lot of the drinks they are thinking about taxing are unhealthy as well.

Though apart from water and milk everything is, if you ask some nutritionists.

As others have said this is good news. As Thailand continuous it push to ensure only quality tourists come here, they fully appreciate that the quality tourist don't drink that junk anyway. Therefore by forcing the cost up it will be more challenging to market providing better opportunities for more appropriate beverage to be sold. For example many Central stores now have fresh orange juice vending machines. What better way of encouraging the quality tourist to spend their money in these quality stores then offering quality refreshments ?

I'm sure the Japanese company Oishi is going to be well pleased... despite its being produced in Thailand.

I'd like to see 100% tax on Red Bull.... exported world wide......... for a certain unknown reason. wink.png

Given that Oishi is a Thai company, I'm sure the Japanese aren't too concerned...

But I'll bet the farm that a certain beer company named after the Thai word for Elephant is none to impressed...

;)

• Like 2

I'm sure the Japanese company Oishi is going to be well pleased... despite its being produced in Thailand.

I'd like to see 100% tax on Red Bull.... exported world wide......... for a certain unknown reason. wink.png

Really, Japanese company ?

I am sure you would love to know it is owned by ThaiBev (Think Chung beer)

The government merely looking to reap more tax from the people under the guise of regulating

the stuff for health issues, rubbish... they need to cove a huge hole made my the fiendish rice scheme

that emptied the government's coffers...

• Like 1

Given that Oishi is a Thai company, I'm sure the Japanese aren't too concerned...

But I'll bet the farm that a certain beer company named after the Thai word for Elephant is none to impressed...

wink.png

Given that Oishi had only a 22% stake owned by F&N, which was bought outright by Japan's KIRIN Holdings in 2010... believe as you like! ;) There are Japanese stakes involved here behind the scenes.

Why would Chang not be impressed?

If they could just stop all the government ministers and other gov. employees from skimming off the top...they'd have all the money they would need.

The anti-corruption mantra is just one big BS smoke-screen. It's business as usual (just don't get caught).

• Like 1

It's a good idea to tax soda and the like. I know I'll get a lot of "boos" for this one and understand as I love my beer, but they should tax (highly) alcohol if they want to bring down the rate of consumption. I think that this worked on cigarette sales in the USA better than any education program. Cigarettes are now so expensive, it takes a big chunk of your wages to keep up your habit and youngsters can't afford them as easily.