Home Schooling Thai Citizens - Registration with Thai Government

Monkey Fish

The following question is directed to those who have registered to home school their (half) Thai children with the Thai government.

What documents did you use to demonstrate that you were providing a proper education?

My wife and I have met the local home school liaison and have been informed that we need to provide a copy of our "program". I'm delighted that they seem fine with offering an "international" curriculum, but I'm not sure what they expect us to give them. Would a copy of core standards from my home state do the trick? (Fyi, I'm from the US and we live in Samut Sakhon province.)

If anybody has been through this process, I'd love to hear from you. TIA.

My wife just told me that the official told her that, although they are receptive to it, nobody has ever registered to teach an "international program" for home school. Many (about 400-500 according to a previous conversation) have registered to teach Thai programs.

Ok. If there are developments on this topic (and I remember to) I'll answer my own question later for the benefit of others in this situation.

Fyi, the liaisons (the first one hit retirement age shortly after meeting with us) we have spoken with have were both very supportive. They both went out of their way to say that home schooling is a good thing, that Thai parents have the right to home school, and that we can choose to do an "inter" home school program in English. Not difficult to imagine that bureaucrats in their position could have taken a different tact, so it's been a good experience so far.

Also, not exactly on topic but probably of interest to anybody that is still reading, they mentioned that when it comes time for assessment of progress (way down the road as we still don't have an approved program), they will send a government-approved-international-school-qualified-farang to our home. I'm very curious to speak with that individual.

Have you contacted the Thai Homeschool Foundation yet? They can help you with all of these types of questions.

For preparing your plan, there is a form that you need to fill out. It's pretty log and the last 10 pages or so ask you to provide details about your plan. You can get the form from the Thai Homeschool Foundation or PM me and i can send you a copy. As for doing an international program that is perfectly fine. Work closely with the foundation as they can help with any admin. Issues that may arise if the education official in your homeschool plan. You are not the first but it is uncommon.area is unfamiliar with how to properly handle an international homeschool plan. You are not the first but it is uncommon.

Have you contacted the Thai Homeschool Foundation yet? They can help you with all of these types of questions.

For preparing your plan, there is a form that you need to fill out. It's pretty log and the last 10 pages or so ask you to provide details about your plan. You can get the form from the Thai Homeschool Foundation or PM me and i can send you a copy. As for doing an international program that is perfectly fine. Work closely with the foundation as they can help with any admin. Issues that may arise if the education official in your homeschool plan. You are not the first but it is uncommon.area is unfamiliar with how to properly handle an international homeschool plan. You are not the first but it is uncommon.

Thank you for your very helpful post Niranut. PM sent.

We shall contact the Thai Homeschool Foundation as you suggest.

Edited by Monkey Fish

Thank you for your very helpful post Niranut. PM sent.

We shall contact the Thai Homeschool Foundation as you suggest.

No problem. Link for the Thai Homeschool foundation's Facebook page is here. They have English speaking staff who can help if that is an issue.

Also attaching the application form here in case others in need stumble upon this post. Be sure to contact the Thai Homeschool Foundation first, though, to make sure you have the most current form. Thai Homeschool Registration Form (2555).doc

• 3 weeks later...

No problem. Link for the Thai Homeschool foundation's Facebook page is here. They have English speaking staff who can help if that is an issue.

I tried contacting them through their facebook page, but unfortunately have not heard back.

Have you been able to get in touch with them yet? Am sending a PM in case you haven't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there,

Has anyone gone through this process recently?

Can anyone advice me how to go about registering my half Thai child?

What exactly does the law say about homeschooling Thai/half Thai children?

Can you teach any curriculum?

How do you get the process started?

Does everything have to be translated into Thai?

How do you fill out the form?

How quick is the process?

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.. We are a group of parents homeschooling our kids, however the Governmemt have been contacting some of us saying we must register at Thai school...

Thank you so much in advance for your help