Google Chrome (or Safari) not Thai

junglechef

My Safari wasn't working great so I downloaded Google Chrome and all was well until today when I guess I downloaded something off the internet and now when I search on either Chrome or Safari it goes to a Thai page which more often then not brings up all sorts of spam. How do I get it back to what I think was an American Chrome search engine?

Thanks but as one who is not too computer literate what do you mean by the address bar?

On my Macbook or in Google Chrome?

Checking the Google Chrome settings it is set to Google Chrome as the default browser but my problem it is Thai not America or somewhere that will work better.

Also as I'm using a Apple product I'm not sure that right click works.

Thanks

JC

Google Chrome started to open another browser page...I use google...I could not change it and google chrome said they could not determine what my browser was...this went on for several days & I kept trying to change the browser then google chrome put up a message I should download malicious software removal...and gave a link...I clicked...it appeared and immediately went to work...suddenly everything worked just fine.

Thanks but as one who is not too computer literate what do you mean by the address bar?

Checking the Google Chrome settings it is set to Google Chrome as the default browser but my problem it is Thai not America or somewhere that will work better.

Thanks

JC

Adreess bar is where you type in URL. then click edit search engines, look through until you see the google search engine with.comnot .co.th and makes as default.

See screencap

post-57942-0-09074700-1415927698_thumb.p

The OP's problem is not with which browser is default his problem is with homepage and cache. OP the following steps "should" fix either Chrome or Safari or both.

1. Open Chrome.

2. Click on "Chrome" in the Menu Bar and choose "Preferences"

Preferences_zpsabb216d1.png

3. When the Preferences page opens, click on "History".

Historyy_zpsfd07f162.png

4. Click on "Clear Browsing Data".

ClearData_zps02d1a3db.png

5. Clear EVERYTHING from "The Beginning of Time" as in the following and click on "Clear Browsing Data" in the bottom right corner. When it has finished you will be returned to the "Settings" page.

DataPane_zps7ff13253.png

6. Set your start-up and new pages to open Google.com (USA). In "Settings" under the "On Startup" section click on "Open a specific page or set of pages" then click on "Set Pages".

SetPages_zpsc2d5d649.png

7. On the "Startup Pages" screen enter: http://www.google.com/ncr and click OK. You will be returned to the "Settings" page.

Startup_zps9aef91c2.png

8. In the section below "On Startup", "Appearance" check the "Show Home Button" box and the click on "Change".

Home_zps8f9c6530.png

9. In the "Home Page" box lick on "Open the page" enter http://www.google.com/ncr in the dialogue box and click OK. You will be returned to the "Settings" page.

7bb62abd-226c-4540-a986-14fe2166fcbf_zps

This SHOULD correct all your issues. The procedure is similar for Safari. If you would like to return to using Safari PM me and we can go through those steps.

• Like 1

The OP's problem is not with which browser is default his problem is with homepage and cache. OP the following steps "should" fix either Chrome or Safari or both.

1. Open Chrome.

2. Click on "Chrome" in the Menu Bar and choose "Preferences"

Preferences_zpsabb216d1.png

3. When the Preferences page opens, click on "History".

Historyy_zpsfd07f162.png

4. Click on "Clear Browsing Data".

ClearData_zps02d1a3db.png

5. Clear EVERYTHING from "The Beginning of Time" as in the following and click on "Clear Browsing Data" in the bottom right corner. When it has finished you will be returned to the "Settings" page.

DataPane_zps7ff13253.png

6. Set your start-up and new pages to open Google.com (USA). In "Settings" under the "On Startup" section click on "Open a specific page or set of pages" then click on "Set Pages".

SetPages_zpsc2d5d649.png

7. On the "Startup Pages" screen enter: http://www.google.com/ncr and click OK. You will be returned to the "Settings" page.

Startup_zps9aef91c2.png

8. In the section below "On Startup", "Appearance" check the "Show Home Button" box and the click on "Change".

Home_zps8f9c6530.png

9. In the "Home Page" box lick on "Open the page" enter http://www.google.com/ncr in the dialogue box and click OK. You will be returned to the "Settings" page.

7bb62abd-226c-4540-a986-14fe2166fcbf_zps

This SHOULD correct all your issues. The procedure is similar for Safari. If you would like to return to using Safari PM me and we can go through those steps.

Nobody mentioned anything about default browser, i was giving instructions on how to change the default search engine!!!

Nobody mentioned anything about default browser, i was giving instructions on how to change the default search engine!!!

Sorry, search engine... which was still not his issue. Did you have to quote my entire, high bandwidth, post for that nit-pick?

Edited by mikebike

Sorry, search engine... which was still not his issue. Did you have to quote my entire, high bandwidth, post for that nit-pick?

You started the nit pick so yes i quoted, you must have a crap connection if you consider your post high bandwidth but then it begs the question why are you posting high bandwidth anwsers in the first place!!!

1. If pointing out your answer wouldn't solve the Op's issue is a nit-pick so be it...

2. Because a step by step answer would help the OP - they are obviously an end user and not a power user used to tinkering... there really is no need to quote all the linked pics to comment on the first sentence.

Thanks

JC

I hope you don't have the 555 virus, which is pretty common here.

Go to Google settings, click advanced settings at the bottom of the page and reset Browser settings. That should do the trick.

this kind of thing can happen when you download anything free off the internet even by mistake on the wrong web site.

many companies are including other programs in their down loads without disclosing it or it is hidden in all the stuff nobody reads.

i think they are calling unneeded programs or unwanted stealth programs , some of them will hijack you search engine.

be really careful down loading anything including the apps on the sites below they did work for me. i have good luck with open source programs that are free and tested.

there is good information here http://www.titanium.free.fr/index.php and here http://malwaretips.com/blogs/ and off course here https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3353

i had to clean my mac and remove some apps and malware my mac is 5 years old and runs like new now.

on my other com i use linux mint 17 open source with firefox browser. Microsoft 8 is really and as far as I'm concerned.

what ever you do don't down load the robot that is called clean my mac or any of the highly advertised apple cleaning products they are far more trouble very hard to remove and don't work very well.