Transportation to Doi Inthanon

elektrified

We have some relatives in town who want to go up to Doi Inthanon and spend the night. I don't really have the time to go right now and I certainly don't want to drive them up there and drop them off.

What are some choices of getting up there and back? Been years since I went last. I think the mini-van used to be around 800 THB per head each way? And how would they book a return back to town?

They are late teens/early 20's and don't have a lot of money so any ideas for reasonably priced transport is much appreciated.

Oh and any ideas where they can stay not too expensive?

Thanks.

Edited by elektrified

Cheapest option if there are two of them is a 250cc scooter for 200-250 baht per day, plus maybe same for petrol. Or a 215cc scooter each for a bit less. This gives them freedom to see what they want when there too.

• Like 1

Cheapest option if there are two of them is a 250cc scooter for 200-250 baht per day, plus maybe same for petrol. Or a 215cc scooter each for a bit less. This gives them freedom to see what they want when there too.

What a ridiculous answer! So they can die on the road?

It's not a ridiculous answer if they are competent riders and sensible. I was up the mountain in January and there were several farang on bikes and they seemed to be having a good time.

• Like 2

What a ridiculous answer! So they can die on the road?

Best they get a ride if you are that sure they are that bad on the road.wai.gif

Are yiou going to tell them they are not good enough operators for Thailand?coffee1.gif

Can they drive or ride? renting car or bike for return trip will be the best cheapest solution if they can drive/ride. Otherwise pre-arrange with taxi company to drop off and pick up may be possible.

There's some nice hotel near the Jomthong (Chomthong) town just below Doi Inthanon, good to check out before head up to the mountain.

http://www.taxichiangmai.com/en/taxi_rates.asp

Hi, yes I know I don't live in Chiang Mai but I would recommend a friendly phone call to The Well International, as it is surprising how often visiting groups plan a trip to Doi Inthanon and ride sharing might be fun. I still have plenty of missionary friends on Facebook and chat also with them, so many 'see the sights trips' always on the go. Also I'd ask on CouchSurfing Chiang Mai - the more the merrier/cheaper/safer in that van to visit.

Great, and affordable places to stay include the camp ground across from those nearby visible falls (Siriphum?) on the 1284 road (there can provide tents and bedding) and the fantastic Royal Garden Orchid Project a little further up the same road (that place is awesome, nifty Flintstone style housing and the most amazing deck views in the north).

Hi, yes I know I don't live in Chiang Mai but I would recommend a friendly phone call to The Well International, as it is surprising how often visiting groups plan a trip to Doi Inthanon and ride sharing might be fun. I still have plenty of missionary friends on Facebook and chat also with them, so many 'see the sights trips' always on the go. Also I'd ask on CouchSurfing Chiang Mai - the more the merrier/cheaper/safer in that van to visit.

Great, and affordable places to stay include the camp ground across from those nearby visible falls (Siriphum?) on the 1284 road (there can provide tents and bedding) and the fantastic Royal Garden Orchid Project a little further up the same road (that place is awesome, nifty Flintstone style housing and the most amazing deck views in the north).

Very helpful, thanks.

Original poster; you asked for reasonably priced transport so I gave you a cheap option. You didn't specify they cannot ride a bike so your reply was wrong and rude! 80% of the people they will pass on the road to Doi Inthanon will be on bikes.

Original poster; you asked for reasonably priced transport so I gave you a cheap option. You didn't specify they cannot ride a bike so your reply was wrong and rude! 80% of the people they will pass on the road to Doi Inthanon will be on bikes.

I assume bike means motorcycle. 80%?? Complete rubbish. Obviously new on the block...

Is this really a sensible option for teenagers that may never have ridden a scooter let alone on Thai roads? Best paying a little more for peace of mind...☺️