Bicycle Repair/Service in Chiang Mai

Frank James

After repeated pounding on Chiang Mai's rough streets, the headset bearings on my Trek hybrid 7200 seized up, making the bike dangerous to ride. I went to the excellent Chaitawat Bike Shop on Ratchpakinai Road to see if they could do the job. As usual, they were quite backed up on the service side, but they recommended a small shop that I would never have found on my own. I am most happy to pass the good news along.

It is the Thippanate Bike Shop on Bangrumburi Road, (that's the southside inside moat road) almost directly opposite the Suan Prung Gate, next to a Kodak shop. It's a couple of long blocks east of the Buakhad City Park. Sorry I can't pinpoint it better than that. It's a very small shop, easy to overlook.

This shop is delightfully Old School. It was a real pleasure to watch this man work. He pulled the correct headset assembly out of a random bin, disassembled the front end, and reassembled, after carefully hand greasing the new bearings from a can of grease that was bought new in perhaps the 1970's. After reassembly, he pointed out that the front wheel had some side to side play. He took it apart and replaced the bearings, again applying the brown grease liberally. All of this was accomplished in silence, and took less than an hour. Total cost: 590 Baht.

In the past, I always went to Jacky Bike off Nimman Soi 13, but they seem to have vacated the premises. The last couple of times I went over there, it looked like they were gone for good. This is surprising, because they had a great line of bikes and accessories, mostly Trek, and were always busy whenever I went there.

post-177823-0-25944100-1415943117_thumb.

The son of Thippanate Bike shop has a shop on Thipanet road. West side, about halfway down. He speaks good English, & did a good job replacing rear cassette, chain & BB set. He also sells bikes. They were both recommended by Chaitawat.

• 7 months later...

I have used that "bike shack" that Frank James has described. I needed a single ball bearing for a rear hub. No worries i thought every bike shop stocks the bearings found in bicycles. Well not in Chiang Mai. TCA nice workshop with tools hanging all over the wall. No they dont carry bearings but they could sell me 200,000 baht racing bike. Velocity they don't carry bearings either but i could have bought a carbon fibre disc wheel and a power meter. jacky bike had a couple of sealed bearing. These shops are all bling but have no depth. Washers, nuts and bolts, loose bearings no need for these, bikes only have about 100 bearings in them!

Last resort i went to this bike shack and the old guy took the bearing i was looking for. Picked up a ruler type thing with holes in it. Pushed the bearing through the holes to get its size. Rummaged at the back and sold me a new bearing for 2 baht. I doubt the other bling shops even carry the tool to size the bearing.