A Shipment of 20 Books from USA to Thailand

303player

Hello,

I wrote a book last year which is finally getting published. The publisher (in the USA) offered to send 20 free copies to me. As I am traveling in Asia until spring '15 and will frequently be in Chiang Mai, it makes most sense for him to send the books to Chiang Mai.

My question: Will there be complications with import duty or other taxes for such a shipment? I am not planning to sell the books or promote them in Thailand, they are mainly gifts for friends in Thailand and other ASEAN countries. If this is a hassle, I will pick up the books when I am back.

If anyone has experience with a similar case, I appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

I've never been charged customs duty on books sent here via the USPS' M-bag service, before it was canceled, and I used to send 4-5 boxes of used pocket books at a time.

Note, this was via the postal service which, I believe, enters a different Thai customs unit than items shipped via a courier service.

Mac

My experience as well. Sending USPS vs DHL or Fedex gives me a much lower chance of having to pay customs, say 10% vs 100%.

That the package enters a different unit might well be the case. Never thought about that.

• Like 1