Penang vs Pattaya for retirement?

I imagine if you are looking for somewhere with girly bars your Thai wife would prefer Penang!

The logical thing to do is to visit for a few weeks and maybe also visit other areas of Thailand.

Level of noise depends on your neighbourhood. We live in Phuket and very quiet where we are, though sure are plenty of noisy areas to live as well. Far less dogs as well now as Soi Dog Foundation here and sterilised most of them.

Thought about Langkawi at all? Only a boat ride to Satun and IMHO nicer than Penang. Thailand has more 'fun' and a sanuuk attitude but could be worth a look. Malaysia also has the MM2H scheme offering a long-term visa and better rights for expats which could be worth thinking about.

• Like 1

couple things I did not see mentioned...

Malaysian food is great! (Although, I think Thai food actually has more variety and is everywhere). Malaysia has fewer restaurants and their street food is there, but more organized - and maybe a good thing. Overall, Malay food is better than Indonesian or any other Southeast Asian country, except Thailand for quality and variety.

They seem to have more fruit and better attention to quality, than Thais.

Houses are better built as some people have pointed out.

Malays don't cut down every tree in sight!! This is great. They like to leave them up for shade :)

Also, there is great CHEAP Indian food in most major cities, including Penang.

Malay girls can be beautiful, but they tend to be very conservative. Red light districts I saw (very few) were dismal.

Chinese girls are nice and they dress like Thais, meaning they like to show skin, which is nice. They are much less conservative.

Thought about Langkawi at all? Only a boat ride to Satun and IMHO nicer than Penang. Thailand has more 'fun' and a sanuuk attitude but could be worth a look. Malaysia also has the MM2H scheme offering a long-term visa and better rights for expats which could be worth thinking about.

Good suggestion. Nice place.

Also, living close to border means you can get best of both.

I never been in Malaysia but considering to visit least as a tourist and if find it interesting then make a move. What is good about Malaysia is the visa. We can get MM2H (Malaysia my second home) visa for the foreigners. I think you should have around 3000 US$ salary a month to be able to get it. This is good as not everyone can move in there only. You get a 10 years visa. You can buy house, discounted first car, and I heard we can also get loan to by house.

What I don't like I heard it is quite boring and prices are around double the prices in Thailand. Being a Muslim country they also have restrictions that may effect us negative there.

It may be a good place to spend sometime when we get tired of Pattaya.

No comparison really...warts & all LOS wins hands down. I last went to Penang a few months ago, just for a visit, was pleasant enough but I wouldn't want to live there and was glad to get back to LOS.

Why does it have to be a choice between Penang or Patts?

I've lived in Patts but moved away a while ago, now living at Bangsean. There are nice places to live near Patts that are cheap and coastal but without many of the negative aspects of Patts....Bangsaen, Bang Saray, Sattahip, Sri Racha are all worth a look at.

Same here ! after a couple of days i found it very boreing, i also was glad to get back to LOS

Malays don't cut down every tree in sight!! This is great. They like to leave them up for shade smile.png

Malay girls can be beautiful, but they tend to be very conservative. Red light districts I saw (very few) were dismal.

Chinese girls are nice and they dress like Thais, meaning they like to show skin, which is nice. They are much less conservative.

Not so long ago flew into KL. Plane had to make a big circle before landing. Perhaps 100 sq km of countryside, not one tree visible that wasn't an oil palm. Frightening.

If you want a good time in Malaysia, visit a 'health club'. True scenario from my first ever visit around 1995. Some dialog paraphrased. At the hotel health club.

"Good evening. May we help you?"

"Yes, I'd like to exercise."

"What! Are you some kind of sicko? This is a health club!"

"Oh. Well, what can I do here?"

"You can have a massage."

"Okay. I'll have a massage."

"Chinese or Malay"

"The massage?"

"No, no, no. Your girl!"

You can imagine the rest.

Indian food is excellent, but be ready for rather more authenticity than in Thailand..

I would not like Penang or Pattaya for my retirement. I have got a 6 figure Pension as well(small 6 figure with decimal points in there) and WE ,my GF and I we bought some land in a small town near a big City, no problems with the things you said that you are so against. You go buy an deserted Island and you wont have any problems,,,You said your wife is married 13 yrs,,,what about you?if you are married to a person than it should say WE are married for 13 years, You crap on about avery thing here,,,So why don't you take you lady and go home and come visit the Family when you like,or is that to much for your 6 Figure salary? wai2.gif

Ok been there twice both times ok but the lack of horizontal boggie was big turn off. They should rename it to NOLAYSIA But other than that ok for a short change. Now Pattaya Not on a dare been there several times stood in nice hotel, Almost had cell phone ripped off three times in one day. so got smart keep in front pocket. The working girls in most of the bars Looked like they had a lot of miles on them Way to many druggie's there in small area for my liking. I don't mind Russians but drunk Russians are the worst. And noticed 90% of the Thai's there seemed angry or something or it just might have been me not sure. The beaches were the worse I have ever seen And the water well just say a cess pool would be cleaner. Hua HIN now the prices were good more laid back. Less stressful food good Especially at night when restaurants spill into street. Went to the money Temple there it was ok but road to went thru mudhut central different small mall but ok only thing bad all movies were in Thai slight draw back but good thing hop van to BKK cheap. Bars more relaxed and the working girls a lot fresher.

Hi Jaywalker

Penang. I live up in Issan and we go down to Pattaya quite a few times each year. Been to Penang 3 times great place, not any crazy drivers and not a lot of motor bikes and they drive very good no were near like Pattaya. Quite reasonable cost of living. Plenty of food market places. Big food halls in many places, great service, so cheap food is great. People so very nice and friendly. Plenty big stores. Up North East of the island great clean beaches, no beach venders, few jet skis but fully controllers, no umbrella places on the beaches like Pattaya.

I love it there so much more peaceful my Thai wife loves it, I have been thinking a lot of living there. If you have a care you can drive there. Property is not as cheap plenty of building going on large apartment buildings. Malaysia have an easy retirement scheme.

You should go for a Holliday AirAsia go direct. To find hotels go onto Google "www.hotelscommbined.com"

I would think this place would suit you.

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Hi Jaywalker
Penang. I live up in Issan and we go down to Pattaya quite a few times each year. Been to Penang 3 times great place, not any crazy drivers and not a lot of motor bikes and they drive very good no were near like Pattaya. Quite reasonable cost of living. Plenty of food market places. Big food halls in many places, great service, so cheap food is great. People so very nice and friendly. Plenty big stores. Up North East of the island great clean beaches, no beach venders, few jet skis but fully controllers, no umbrella places on the beaches like Pattaya.

I love it there so much more peaceful my Thai wife loves it, I have been thinking a lot of living there. If you have a care you can drive there. Property is not as cheap plenty of building going on large apartment buildings. Malaysia have an easy retirement scheme.

You should go for a Holliday AirAsia go direct. To find hotels go onto Google "www.hotelscommbined.com"

I would think this place would suit you.

Thats a good point actually , Penang is quite Thai friendly. There used to be a market stall on a Sunday that sold Thai veggie and spices

My misses and kids used to came and stay with me during school holidays and they were on the Nasi Lemak and Roti Chennais in days

Hi there!

Lived in Penang for about a year in 2009-2010. Now almost weekly in KL. Also live just outside of Pattaya for about 8 years.

In general nice island, great ex-pat community with many activities. If you like scuba diving, easy to go to Pulau Payar Marine Park by ferry. Marine parks are treated with respect unlike Thailand.

#1 - Traffic jams & sane-ness of drivers (especially motorcyclists).

Close to George Town can be pretty tough, especially during the festivals from the different ethnic groups.

#2 - Peace & quiet (i.e.: some clown drives by on a tricycle every day BLARING out in Thai that he's looking for scrap/junk).

Oh yes, no issue

#2.1 Peace & quiet (i.e. neighbour has a yapping poodle & feeds soi dogs right outside her gate & poodle yaps 24/7).

In general no issue. Living in a house, a burglar alarm is a must because there are many break-ins.

#3 - Soi dogs/stray dogs - Can I count 50 of them within a 5 minute drive of my house?

Muslim territory... so hardly any stray dogs

#4 - Cleanliness of the beaches

Beaches are clean but water polluted because of too much construction. The water between Penang and mainland often has a bad smell!

#5 - Access to shopping (ie: Tesco/Big C/Makro equivalents).

I love my cheese and it is cheaper in Penang than when I buy it in Europe. Of course it is a special address and the company sells whole-sale to hotels and supermarkets. Groceries are easy e.g. "cold storage". Also... no plastic bags!!!!

#6 - Parking (do they try to take up EVERY SQUARE MILLIMETER of parking space)..I mean every time I park somewhere in Pattaya I'm 2 inches away from the car next to me.

Get used to paying for parking...

In general I had a pleasant time and night life for me was Philippine live music in hotels. My Thai wife prefers (Malaysia) over Thailand.

I like both countries.

Pattaya Pro:

Asian food

Religion goes unnoticed

Sailing is great

Night Life can be anything you want it to be and your imagination sells you short!

Penang Pro:

Foreigners are not the usual cheapskates (generalising here)

Government is foreigner friendly

Cars are cheaper

Petrol is cheaper

Roads are very good

Internet / Electricity is stable

English speaking level by locals is high

Alcohol is expensive but if you know your shop you'll find Langkawi "imports".

Shorter distance to e.g. Bali

My advice: enjoy both cities for what they have to offer.