China Airlines discrimination or not?

Anthony5

To be fair unless you move house and take your furniture with your as luggage I can never see how people need over 20kg

I quite agree.

I have used China and Eva many times over the years. My wife and I have a combined limit before we leave home of 20 kg each which is enough for a three month stay. Despite being offered the extra facility I never use it.

We have all seen the Thai women trying to repackage or dump veg etc at BKK after being bumped from check in. If they had a 50kg allowance it would not be enough.

To be fair unless you move house and take your furniture with your as luggage I can never see how people need over 20kg

Or have twin kids under one !

I couldn't buy more then 40kg with AirAsia.

My luggage was a toothbrush, a change of undies and a carefully folded handkerchief ... laugh.png

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Or have twin kids under one !

I couldn't buy more then 40kg with AirAsia.

My luggage was a toothbrush, a change of undies and a carefully folded handkerchief ... alt=laugh.png>

I feel for you mete , same as when I travel with the missus and kids , I'm trying to go hand luggage for a quick exit from the airport and the missus and daughter need to check in 30kg of weekend Beauty equipment

235 euro will be the price without any taxes,the standard allowence is 20kg if you pay a lot more you can get 30kg,

235 Euro was the price for a one way ticket AMS-BKK all taxes paid.

20kg is the standard allowance on a China Airlines flight AMS-BKK, if you booked your ticket from Thailand, but it is 30Kg without paying any premiums if you bought your ticket from The Netherlands.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I quite agree.

I have used China and Eva many times over the years. My wife and I have a combined limit before we leave home of 20 kg each which is enough for a three month stay. Despite being offered the extra facility I never use it.

We have all seen the Thai women trying to repackage or dump veg etc at BKK after being bumped from check in. If they had a 50kg allowance it would not be enough.

There is may be a difference in needed luggage between people who make a holiday trip or those who permanently live here.

Similar issue with Cathay pacific, flying BKK - HKG - BKK. Was allowed one specific size and weight of carry on when flying from BKK to HKG, yet wouldn't let me board with the same size and weight on the way back. Took me to invoke the station manager to override to let me leave --- it's just regional rules and differences, and I wouldn't bother about it.

Racism? Certainly not. Don't be ridiculous.

Nothing to do with regional rules, the person who purchased his ticket in the Netherlands has a 30Kg allowance, while the passenger who purchased the same ticket in Thailand is allowed only 20Kg.

Short answer: FOOD

I always fly business class and make sure I am allowed 40 kgs + 10 for status.

Edited by tartempion

OP, thanks for posting.

I think you got screwed but am not sure what you can do about it. Probably nothing. Your post helps me, because I will think twice before flying China Airlines.

Out of curiosity, I went to their website and looked up the baggage fees/policies. They are so complicated I cannot understand them.

Here's a random quote.

"Baggage in excess of the checked baggage allowance shall be charged per kg at the rate of 1.5% of the highest normal direct adult one way Economy Class fare" Who can readily understand this?

Everyone? That's a standard charge that's made by many airlines. It's not confined to China Airlines

"The International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents the airline industry, says the ‘standard’ charge for excess baggage is 1.5% [per kg] of the highest one-way fare in economy class. So, typically a full price £1000 economy ticket carries an excess charge of £15 per kg."

"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Baggage+in+excess+of+the+checked+baggage+allowance+shall+be+charged+per+kg+at+the+rate+of+1.5%25+of+the+highest+normal+direct+adult+one+way+Economy+Class+fare%22&oq=%22Baggage+in+excess+of+the+checked+baggage+allowance+shall+be+charged+per+kg+at+the+rate+of+1.5%25+of+the+highest+normal+direct+adult+one+way+Economy+Class+fare%22&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8#q=standard+excess+baggage+charge+per+kilo+1.5%25

If you want 30 kilos then fly Jet via India next time.

If the 10kilos is that important you won't mind the hassle of the transfers and Mumbai and Delhi immigration.

Or Emirates where you don't have to go through immigration in Dubai.

As I said in the OP, China is one of the last airlines that still allows only 20Kg.