Muay Thai Lumpini Times Of Fights?

I got my fiancee to ring them and purchase the tickets, we paid 2000 baht each and they even delivered the tickets to our door and we were about 40 mins drive away.

THe THai 3rd class ticket price is around 200b, and few serious boxing fans are found ringside where tickets cost more with a worse viewing angle unless you are right up against the ring. That's why they can afford to deliver the tickets; probably costs a messenger 200b to drop them off :-)

They were ringside tickets, we were in the front row too. It was awesome.

some great fights last night and Nicolas Cage in the audience enjoying the action.

Yep, I am guessing you were wearing a blue shirt and taking photos ringside?!

We had a great time; Saengchai was the goods, and fought well. However, my fighter of the night other than Saengchai was in the warm up fights; I may have the fighter wrong as I have now forgotten, but was the southpaw Trijuk in red?; had a great left kick left cross (4 -2) combo that he used a few times; also was consistently able to drift to the right; nice lateral movement.

My girlfriend had never watched Muay Thai before live, so we had an awesome time sitting up the back. No gambling for me; sad really as I picked all the winners in the first round. :-0 no big surprises I thought.

yep that was me

Tryjak is southpaw yes fought in the 2nd preliminary fight. His father who was in his corner is also a former Lumpini champion.

I won a little on Saenchai, but don't normally bet as am too tight when it comes to losing money :o Saenchai is a real class above anyone else at the moment, this fight he came in at 122 pouns, the next one he will probably have to go up to fight at 127 with his opponent allowed to weigh 130 to try and even up the odds. I have only seen him fight 2 times in the last 2 years where he has been able to weigh in the same as his opponent and not have to give them a 3 or 4 pound advantage

Edited by Tingnongnoi

DO you have a list of where all these gyms are located? Is there some page on the web you can refer me to?

Thai language is fine, I read it.

I would like to train a bit, but needs to be a location close to either my home or my work. The place my family suggest where they know the trainer is way out near THe Mall BangKapi and there is no way I can get there on time....

Let me know when the next good fights are coming up; you are now MY MAIN MAN for this :-) :o:D:D

Ladprao Soi 94 has a famouse gym called Town In Town Gym. This is just opposite the Imperial Ladprao shopping center. You may also consider Pinsinchai Gym which is somewhere off of Ladprao 71 in the Chokchai 4 area. Pinsinchai is also a famous gym and I once worked with an Australian guy who trained/fought out of there.

Ladprao Soi 94 has a famouse gym called Town In Town Gym. This is just opposite the Imperial Ladprao shopping center. You may also consider Pinsinchai Gym which is somewhere off of Ladprao 71 in the Chokchai 4 area. Pinsinchai is also a famous gym and I once worked with an Australian guy who trained/fought out of there.

Both of these ones are a good 1 hour drive from Central Lard Prao; actually maybe I'll time the drive to Chok Chai 4, but anyway, it is getting too far to be able to realistically make training time if they start at 4.30pm or whatever.

Pinsinchai I have heard of though; I actually enjoy going to watch from time to time, and get motivated a bit, although not enough to make major sacrifice to train; might need to hurry up as time is running out :-)

If you work around Central Ladprao, there should be some gyms in that area. I think Jocky Gym (where Somluck Khamsing trained) is somewhere around there and that's a good one. There may be another one around the Bangsue area called "Bangsue Food Shop" but I'm not 100% sure with the name. Muaythai2000.com has loads of listings, but many of the numbers are wrong and many of the gyms simply don't exist anymore or have moved so it's real hit and miss with those webpages. With the traffic in BKK, even 10kms can be a long haul so you'll have to select your gym carefully.

As for the training sessions, the morning ones normally start around 6:30 or 7 with jogging which is then followed by the pad/bag work and perhaps some clinching/sparring. The afternoon session (the most popular one with the most trainers present) will usually begin around 3 and run until 6 or so. The afternoon jog is usually lighter than the morning one and since more boxers will be training during the afternoon session, you'll have more people to spar with.

Jitti's would probably be your best bet if you were not say a serious fighter living in the camp as it caters more to westerners and walk in people. The likes of Pinsinchai and Jocky gym are great gyms, but will probably not give you much attention, Jitti will though as long as you pay your fees you will get guarenteed pads and shown stuff too. He has a few good trainers there to including some former stadium champs.

Edited by Tingnongnoi

I have to agree with Tingnongnoi on this one, as I've been in those situations. Many of the local camps will allow you to train there, but they will often pay little or no attention to you as you're not a pro. Some local camps simply don't accept outsiders but I've found that many in BKK will and you just need to negotiate training fees, etc. If they allow you to train for free, they will probably pay no attention to you. If you pay a small fee (say 200 baht/session) you will probably get some one-on-one attention from the trainer, but unless you are persistent, they may want to stop working with you after just a round or two. A good start would be to head to any of the major boxing events featuring fighters from camps near your location. Have a chat with the coach/trainers and let them know what you want. Jitti's Gym for sure will give you some training, but you'll be paying about 400 baht or more per session so it comes down to the "You get what you pay for" principle. The good thing is, most of the boxers are really friendly and they may be happy to work with you unless they're busy with fight prep.

While I don't carry that much cache with the Muay Thai community (who for the most part don't watch telly) my small background on TV and my being 1/2 Thai is usually enough to get me past the 'just a foreigner who wants to train for a week so let's ignore him' phase.

However, the reality is that as a result of my small obligation to the entertainment indsutry, i cannot train regularly or hard, so being in a gym and learning by watching mostly is probably enough for now, until I get a bit fitter and more serious about it.

Thanks for the gyms; will probably consider either Jitti and Jocky as both nearby :-)

400b for a session though....they're dreamin'; my pals in Lard Prao 130 (yep, that's the one) were willing to teach for I think it was 1000b a month!

Mind you, compared to a 1 on 1 with Fanta, I think that would probably be at least 1000-2000b. So by comparision it isn't that bad :-)

its not so much the 'just a foriegner that wants to train for a week' thing thats hard to overcome, as the fact a lot of the serious gyms are run around the gambling that goes on when the boxers fight, so they cant afford to give much time to people that are not 100% part of the gym. Go and have a chat with Jitti and he will probably work something out for you, as you live and work here etc.... I will try and think of a few more gyms around there and let you know.

If you go to the Lumpini stadium for the late show on Saturday night will they still charge you way too much if you're farang? If you go during the week can you get it cheaper?

I have always read its just touts trying to overcharge you but if you go straight to the ticket booth you get the real cheap price. Or is another stadium better and won't overcharge?

I read your answers to the previous similair question. Could someone give me a straight answer on each of my three questions? Thanks a lot.

both the main stadiums charge the same prices and whenever one puts their price up the other usually shortly follows. I dont think you will get a different price at the window to be honest as the stadiums use the touts orr guides as they are known to provide a service to take people into the ringside area and look after them a little. Anf d the prices are the same any time of the week, whether its mid week or weekend.

Hmmm, sounds like if they're looking after you a little, they'll want more money from you, or at least a tip. I'd never actually heard of the prices being more for farangs, but I'd heard that the touts charge more. Either way, that sucks.