Nine army officers killed in helicopter crash in Phayao

Lite Beer

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of military helicopter crashes in Thailand. They might want to review quality of old equipment, servicing, spare parts, training of pilots, rules for flying in bad weather and whether so many helicopters and flights are really needed.

Perhaps it has something to do the excessive number of generals in the army.

Bodies of nine soldiers pulled from chopper wreckage
Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

PHAYAO: -- Rescue workers have retrieved the bodies of nine soldiers -- including a senior regional commander -- after an army helicopter crash in northern Thailand, authorities said Tuesday.

The bodies -- some charred -- were recovered late Monday several hours after the chopper went down in northern Phayao province killing everyone on board.

"We have taken the bodies to the provincial hospital," Chuchad Keelapaeng, provincial governor told AFP.

"Many of bodies were burnt beyond recognition," he said, adding the deputy commander of the third army which covers northern Thailand was among the dead.

"An army committee will investigate the reason for the crash," he said.

In July 2011 a series of helicopter crashes in the space of a week forced the Thai army to ground many of its fleet.

The choppers crashed in a province southwest of Bangkok claiming 17 lives.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-11-18

Seems like a helicopter crash here every other week,they must be running

short on copters, RIP ,not a nice way to go

regards worgeordie

Happens in other places too. Australia for instance, Cattle Mustering, News Reporting....(a number of colleagues have gone that way.) Reckon I was just Lucky in both Choppers and Fixed Wing aircraft over many years.

.post-42868-0-39309000-1416288686_thumb.jpost-42868-0-27645900-1416288744_thumb.j

Edited by Torrens54

RIP to the 9 soldiers and condolences to their families and friends; I still think the helicopter would be safer than traveling by road I don’t suppose the maintenance and safety regarding the helicopter and pilot training would be such an issue in Thailand as it would be in the west.

Bell 212 is a very trusted and field proven bird.

It was a variation on this same aircraft that had a hard landing two days ago--a Bell 205B, I think.

The deaths in this crash go to show how lucky the 15 passengers in the previous crash really were.

A real loss to so many families.

I hope they are performing their scheduled maintenance on these aircraft. I am guessing the Thais have their own version of the FAA to investigate.

Like i said before on a previous post,MAINTENANCE is an ugly word in Thailand.

I wasn't there and the investigation has yet to determine the cause.

Without knowing the details of this sad event, I do know that many of the recent Thai military chopper crashers have been due to "Push-On-Itis" continuing on visual with almost zero/zero viability.

Seems to be a cultural thing, be it developing Asian, Thai, or within the military, not sure but one huge issues with Asian multi crew flight decks is the inability of the 2IC to speak up, 100% due to cultural aspects.

Investigation proceeding into army helicopter crash
By Digital Content

14162888704444-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 18 -- Military authorities are collecting debris from the Bell 212 helicopter that crashed in Phayao province yesterday, even as Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha expressed his condolences for those who died.

Army deputy spokesperson Col Sirichan Nga-thong said the Army Aviation Centre helicopter crashed in Phayao's Ban Jerbua at 5.30pm yesterday.

The chopper was carrying 3rd Army deputy commander Maj Gen Songpol Thongchine and his team to inspect logistics units at Khunjueng Thammikrat Camp in Phayao.

All nine army personnel aboard the helicopter were killed.

The other eight included Col Kitti Suwancharoen, a deputy logistic director, Col Yutthapong Phuenfung, the post engineer chief of the 3rd Army, Lt Col Wuthisak Sunthornsook, logistics assistant of the 3rd Army, and Capt Worapong Changlak, the pilot.

This morning two more pieces of the helicopter's tail were found in a paddy field in Ban Jerbua village. They were spotted 20-30 meters from the crash site and were kept for air crash investigation.

The bodies of the dead soldiers were taken to Phayao Hospital, where their families are receiving their remains with grief today.

A royally sponsored bathing ceremony will take place at Khuha Sawan temple in Phitsanulok province.

Army chief Gen Udomdej Sitabutr said the army would take the best care of the families of all the military killed in the crash.

Gen Udomdej said deputy chief of Army Region 3 Maj-Gen Khucheep Lert-ngim would visit the province to inspect the crash scene today.

The army chief said Gen Prayut expressed his condolences to the families of the victims. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-18

Bell 212 is a very trusted and field proven bird.

It was a variation on this same aircraft that had a hard landing two days ago--a Bell 205B, I think.

The deaths in this crash go to show how lucky the 15 passengers in the previous crash really were.

A real loss to so many families.

I hope they are performing their scheduled maintenance on these aircraft. I am guessing the Thais have their own version of the FAA to investigate.

Like i said before on a previous post,MAINTENANCE is an ugly word in Thailand.

Stop assuming. After all the other crashes I would say maintenance has been upgraded.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

Several years back an acquaintance was involved with unpacking/processing some newly arrived helicopters at Don Muang.

They needed all the shrink wrap removed, blades installed, tail gears set up & connected to the drive shaft etc...

That tail gear is set up at a 45 degree angle to the drive shaft gear & runs in an oil bath.

The local mechanics were checking the oil temperature.....Had make sure everything back there was 45 degrees ya know.

unbelievable....but not

waiting for # 3

Edited by Showbags

This must have been a sudden and catastrophic failure of main frame or engine, as a skilled

heli pilot will have, under certain circumstances, some maneuverability abilities for soft

crash landing.....

There were comments it was a new pilot.

New pilots can fly things but nothing replaces hours when it comes to handling the abnormal.

This must have been a sudden and catastrophic failure of main frame or engine, as a skilled

heli pilot will have, under certain circumstances, some maneuverability abilities for soft

crash landing.....

Very true, unless there was a catastrophic failure with the rear rotor. RIP lads. My son is in the RT Navy and stuff like this worries the crap out of me

I have over 15,000 hours in various helicopters, and suspect if the pilot was new, maybe felt the pressure from so many high ranking officers on board, to continue pressing on into bad weather.I have over 5,000 hours in Bell products. Both the Bell 212 and 412 have 2 engines and usually, depending on the weight and density altitude, can continue flying on a single engine, if an engine fails.The Bell 212 is certified to fly with one pilot, but it is unusual for an US Army helicopter to be flown single pilot. I am not sure what the Thai military SOP is, but would have thought that with this many high ranking personnel on board, it would have had 2 pilots f lying the mission.

I thought g/box or tail rotor drive shaft, but the Mrs said Thai news reports mid air explosion. So if these reports are correct then maybe high tension wires or ordinance going off are among the many possibilities.

In cases like this I'd say time will tell, but incidentally I went to a Huey crash site in Surin months after it went in and I couldn't believe the stuff not collected for the crash investigators, so I have little faith in their investigators.

I have over 15,000 hours in various helicopters, and suspect if the pilot was new, maybe felt the pressure from so many high ranking officers on board, to continue pressing on into bad weather.I have over 5,000 hours in Bell products. Both the Bell 212 and 412 have 2 engines and usually, depending on the weight and density altitude, can continue flying on a single engine, if an engine fails.The Bell 212 is certified to fly with one pilot, but it is unusual for an US Army helicopter to be flown single pilot. I am not sure what the Thai military SOP is, but would have thought that with this many high ranking personnel on board, it would have had 2 pilots f lying the mission.

Perhaps a case of press-on-itis?

Billd 766

That would be my guess! I flew in Germany for three years with a C&C, Command and Control, unit flying Generals and their staff around. There is always pressure to get where the General needs to be NOW. I was a young and dedicated, to the mission aviator at the time. Because of fog, I literally flew up a ravine trying to get over a ridge line trying to get to Graffenwher, had to come to a hover over a tree, and do a pedal turn, and fly back down the ravine. I got the General there later by flying in the clouds, after the threat of icing in the clouds had disappeared. So yes, I know only to well how the pressure of trying to please high ranking generals, or other VIP's can affect your judgement to fly, or not to fly.

I was fortunate to learn from my mistakes, and am still here after a 38 year career of flying helicopters. Of course I did pi*s off a few generals and other VIP's along the way, oh well at least they are still around to moan about missing that meeting

• Like 1

Several years back an acquaintance was involved with unpacking/processing some newly arrived helicopters at Don Muang.

They needed all the shrink wrap removed, blades installed, tail gears set up & connected to the drive shaft etc...

That tail gear is set up at a 45 degree angle to the drive shaft gear & runs in an oil bath.

The local mechanics were checking the oil temperature.....Had make sure everything back there was 45 degrees ya know.

OK------sorry but what are you trying to tell us,------"ya know"---- no I don't

Correction not a 45Degree, but it is call 42 degree along with a 90 degree gear box housing the Tail Rotor..ya want facts ask..Rotor Ron