Generic Anti-Viral medication

acepredator

Hello. Could anybody please tell me if the anti-viral medication valacyclovir is currently being sold in generic form by any pharmacy anywhere in Thailand? The brand name version, Valtrex, is prohibitively expensive, so the opportunity to purchase the much cheaper generic version would be extremely welcome. An exhaustive Internet search has produced exactly zero results to my query. I'm hoping that one of the members here might have had a more positive experience finding that which I desperately seek. Thanks very much in advance for any information that will point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much for your replies. I've looked into ordering the medication online, but it's hard to establish exactly how reliable overseas sellers are. In reading the online reviews, I've seen major complaints by former customers of all the online vendors I've investigated. I'd rather not take a chance on paying less for what turns out to be inferior medication. I will, however, look into ordering from Ranbaxy.

And I'll discuss with my doctor the possibility of switching to the cheaper acyclovir. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

While valaciclovir is not available in local brand, acyclovir is. Multiple local brands, very inexpensive. Needs more frequent dosing but works almost as well. Suggest you discuss with your doctor a switch to acyclovir.

From all the research I have seen... Including WHO and CDC, it works the same. Only difference as you mentioned, you need to take acyclovir more often.

• Like 1

I'm looking furthering into the effectiveness and cost benefit of acyclovir versus valacyclovir. Also, Ranbaxy does manufacture a generic version of valacyclovir that is a fraction of the cost of Valtrex. The reviews of Ranbaxy and their products so far are very positive. If I can have the valacyclovir reliably delivered here to Thailand, then that may be the way to go. Thanks again for your invaluable feedback.

It seems that based on the exorbitant cost of the Valtrex and the complications of trying to import the generic version from abroad that I will follow all the excellent and helpful advise offered here and go with the acyclovir. Your responses are much appreciated.

I'm fighting against Herpes Simplex since very long time, I'm unfortunately very expert about it. There are many thai brands producing Acyclovir, I suggest you to get Vilerm tablets, from Siam Bheasach , a very trusted company , it worked fine with me, or you can ask to any good pharmacist.

The wisest and most knowledgeable voice is the voice of experience. Since you have been dealing with this condition for a long time, I will put the utmost faith in your judgement and advice. I'll look for the Vilerm tablets and with a little bit of overdue luck I will achieve the same encouraging results as you. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...