Superstition suspected behind Americans' attempts to smuggle stolen body parts out of Thailand

webfact

Superstition suspected
Kamonchanok Teekakul
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- POLICE now suspect that superstition might be behind two Americans' recent attempts to smuggle stolen human body parts out of Thailand - including a skin patch tattooed with spiritual lettering.

"These tattoos are different from those familiar to the Western world. Such Thai tattoos are said to have magical powers," Pol Maj-General Sombat Milintachinda of Metropolitan Police said yesterday.

Ryan McPherson and Daniel Tanner are wanted for allegedly stealing the specimens from a state medical museum.

This is not the first time body parts have disappeared from a medical institute. Back in 2003, two Thais were caught at a flea market peddling human body parts that they had pilfered from Siriraj Hospital. The suspects confessed that the items could be used in cult rituals.

"People from across the world have expressed interest in using Thai amulets," said Wanchai Pongsompetch, who is a veteran in the market for the traditional objects.

Customers came from various places including Europe and the United States.

Superstitious beliefs still prevail in Thailand.

Last year, Chow Hok Kuen was arrested at a hotel in Bangkok for carrying six foetuses.

The 28-year-old man told police that he did it on the order of another Taiwanese man who wished to turn unborn foetuses into good-luck charms.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Superstition-suspected-30248159.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-20

"These tattoos are different from those familiar to the Western world. Such Thai tattoos are said to have magical powers," Pol Maj-General Sombat Milintachinda of Metropolitan Police said yesterday.

Does this bloke think everyone is as stupid as he is believing the "magic" of inert objects. He should travel a little to discover how few people hold this superstition.

Actually, McPherson's tats have a lot of satanic symbology, so there could well be a connection.

Thai at Heart's post is on the money.

Why is it when a crime story or the like embarrasses the Thai Police or other authorities, they rush out and release ridiculous whoppers in their press statements. It is so childish and pathetic.

• Like 1

"Magical powers" BIB, I think you better quite your day job too..

These guys are opportunists, plain and simple and not very bright if they thought an Int'l courier company does not scan packages. I think they're lucky this was not found out States side.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

The police, and anyone associated with them, should just stop talking. Every word that comes out underlines just how idiotic the whole farce/force is. Do some research before you open that gap. These two fellows make films. I won't opine on them, but I think it is safe to speculate that the items they stole were for some 'new projects'. Something like that. Sheesh... do these people think the whole world subscribes to these superstition-ghost-spirit mumbo-jumbo the way they do???

• Like 2

Please explain what the hell is a foetuses? I know what a fetus is but a foetuses Is beyond my learning. could that be an Un born Japanese Baby with a camera?

Foetus (Br. Eng) : An unborn child. pl. foetuses

You might like to stay off the beer till noon. thumbsup.gif

Does this bloke think everyone is as stupid as he is believing the "magic" of inert objects. He should travel a little to discover how few people hold this superstition.

...after completion of a re-start of his school education in a halfway developed country.

Shock jocks...These guys are in the entertainment industry and specifically in that niche market that focuses on over-the-top subject matter designed to shock, provoke and dismay their audiences like horror movies. Always an audience for this. I doubt they have the intelligence or imagination to seriously engage in occult matters....just your typical exploitation film makers on the prowl for new opportunities and material...

• Like 1

...after completion of a re-start of his school education in a halfway developed country.

I don't understand you: how is Mr Nitwit BiB supposed to complete school in a 'halfway developed country' without having to leave Thailand first?

If this was an attempt by these two nefarious characters to do a media production in the sense that "Anything can be had in Thailand!" Such as Human Body parts amongst everything the mind can imagine, then the Law must come down and come down HARD on them for their stealing and attempted smuggling of Human body parts out of the Kingdom. Thailand faces many challenges ahead in it's future and doesn't need anyone's help in heaping negativity on it as it is quite capable of doing that to itself alone. Perhaps, if these two characters were found guilty and put in remand for a period of time, they will be able to do a production by recreating their daily lives behind bars. However, I'm sure it would probably be rated NSFW upon completion.

Edited by SinCityGr8One
  • Like 1

Thank you for that I stand corrected and a bit more educated. Again Thank you to lazy to look up.

No, this is ThaiVisa. You are supposed to argue with me. You can't be nice. That is not the way things are done here. You should insult me. wink.png

Aren't you supposed to be insulting him for being to lazy to look up that word? So the both of you are being too nice in here. Get a hotel and be happy together heheee!

Unbelievable the police would actually release this stupid report.

Maybe they are setting the stage to use that excuse for the Thais who helped the Americans. After all, ghosts and spirits have closed the PM's office and home more than once

Must be true, as so many Tattoos on bar girls seem to do the magical trick that foreigners buy houses, buffaloes, cars and lose their minds.facepalm.gif

Thank you for that I stand corrected and a bit more educated. Again Thank you to lazy to look up.

No, this is ThaiVisa. You are supposed to argue with me. You can't be nice. That is not the way things are done here. You should insult me. wink.png

Aren't you supposed to be insulting him for being to lazy to look up that word? So the both of you are being too nice in here. Get a hotel and be happy together heheee!

Unbelievable the police would actually release this stupid report.

Maybe they are setting the stage to use that excuse for the Thais who helped the Americans. After all, ghosts and spirits have closed the PM's office and home more than once

Don't forget... that ghosts and spirits also cause mishaps at Suvarnabhumi's runway too!

As strange as it might seem, there is a very informative article regarding the body parts and the 2 Americans involved, in a newspaper from the USA. There is more info there than any where's being reported in Thailand, IMHO. It gives quite alot of details within 5 Questions and their Answers. It can be accessed here: http://www.beloitdailynews.com/news/national/questions-answers-about-thai-body-parts-case/article_6163e463-e4f1-523c-851d-90cfa30ede82.html. I don't think these 2 creepy characters fit anywhere's near the newly proposed Thai "Quality Tourist" agenda. The Kingdom wants them and has asked Cambodia for their help in locating them if they are there. This is getting interesting.

post-6579-0-59185300-1416499739_thumb.jp

post-6579-0-45201700-1416499767_thumb.jp