Deadly snowstorm hits northern US

webfact

Deadly snowstorm hits northern US

(BBC) A massive snowstorm has wreaked havoc in the north-eastern US and left seven people dead, five in upstate New York.

After sweeping across the Great Lakes, the storm dumped 5ft (1.5m) of snow in the Buffalo area, with more forecast.

The storm caused five deaths in that area - one in a car crash, one trapped in a car and three from heart attacks.

Freezing temperatures were recorded across all 50 US states, including Florida and Hawaii, and there were more deaths elsewhere in the country.

"We have tried to get out of our house, and we are lucky to be able to shovel so we can open the door," said Linda Oakley, a resident of Buffalo.

"We're just thinking that in case of an emergency we can at least get out the door," she added. "We can't go any further."

Residents were reported trapped in their homes and cars, and strong winds and icy roads caused motorway accidents and forced school closures in parts of the US.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30118783

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-20

Here where I am the temperatures went below freezing November 10th and has stayed below freezing day and night

since then. A meter of snow is on the ground and more in the forecast. Winter has come early and appears to have settled

in for the duration. I will be moving up my Thailand departure date. Time for another year in the land of the coconut palm. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Mauna Kea on the island of Hawaii (big island) dropped below freezing during the nation wide cold snap

that wreaked havoc over the entire NE part of the US. Have a look at the link below below...

http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/

A Google link...https://www.google.com.my/search?q=Mauna+Kea+Cold+Weather&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=w2RtVLuHOMa4mwWAt4KoCw

Mind you at the beaches is was a pleasant 60 F give or take a few degrees but for residents used

to warmer weather high 50's - low 60's is kinda cold!

As for the rest of the USA...have a look here....

https://twitter.com/NWSTwinCities/status/534692622950862848/photo/1

As John Wayne once said....Suffer pilgrims....

I live in that area of New York State, just southeast of lake Ontario. We have record snowfalls every year. What makes us unique, is the "lake effect" snowfall. Lake Ontario is a huge lake, and the water can be relatively warm, compared to the cold air, blowing down from Canada. When conditions are right, a band of snow (snowbelt) can result in huge flakes, and fast buildup of snow, in a narrow corridor.... In Central New York, Just east of the lake...it is quite normal to see 4 to six foot snowfall, in one night, and just 30 miles wide. Nothing new for us.

Yup so much for global warming - oops sorry 'they' call it climate change now.

OK its a cheap shot - cannot base a whole theory on a single incident despite the fact that global warmers do this when there is a record high temperature in New York. Record high temperatures in New York coincides with setting up of the IPCC.

(The hottest day of 1988 was June 14, with a high temperature of 32°C. For reference, on that day the average high temperature is 23°C)

Edited by pattayasnowman

Yup so much for global warming - oops sorry 'they' call it climate change now.

OK its a cheap shot - cannot base a whole theory on a single incident despite the fact that global warmers do this when there is a record high temperature in New York. Record high temperatures in New York coincides with setting up of the IPCC.

(The hottest day of 1988 was June 14, with a high temperature of 32°C. For reference, on that day the average high temperature is 23°C)

You are right and all scientists are wrong, we get that.

I live in that area of New York State, just southeast of lake Ontario. We have record snowfalls every year. What makes us unique, is the "lake effect" snowfall. Lake Ontario is a huge lake, and the water can be relatively warm, compared to the cold air, blowing down from Canada. When conditions are right, a band of snow (snowbelt) can result in huge flakes, and fast buildup of snow, in a narrow corridor.... In Central New York, Just east of the lake...it is quite normal to see 4 to six foot snowfall, in one night, and just 30 miles wide. Nothing new for us.

I quite agree having spent some time in the Upper Peninsular north of Detroit.

The ice storms and sub zero temps are no big deal as they occur pretty much every year.

Given the current mid November gloom here in the UK give me a Michigan winter any day.

I quite agree having spent some time in the Upper Peninsular north of Detroit.

The ice storms and sub zero temps are no big deal as they occur pretty much every year.

Given the current mid November gloom here in the UK give me a Michigan winter any day.

Been a lovely day here in Devon.

The US has widely varying terrain and elevations, even within the same state.

Where I am in Western Oregon we haven't had freezing or snow yet. But just East of me there are the Cascade Mountains which have peaks higher than 9,000 feet where there is snow and ice. So it would be true to say that we have had snow in our state but nowhere near me. Many states except the Northernmost states are like that.

I would avoid living in an area which is known to get hard freezing and heavy snows.

If we do get snow for a few days around the first of January I'll simply chain up one axle of my 4x4 F150 pickup and get around fine. The snow would rarely be as much as 6" deep which I'd guess would be around 150 mm. The land is fairly level and my pickup will hardly notice it Cars would quickly beat it down and it would melt off in a matter of days.

So this story is not a complete picture "of the US."

Where I am in Western Oregon we haven't had freezing or snow yet. But just East of me there are the Cascade Mountains which have peaks higher than 9,000 feet where there is snow and ice. So it would be true to say that we have had snow in our state but nowhere near me. Many states except the Northernmost states are like that.

I would avoid living in an area which is known to get hard freezing and heavy snows.

If we do get snow for a few days around the first of January I'll simply chain up one axle of my 4x4 F150 pickup and get around fine. The snow would rarely be as much as 6" deep which I'd guess would be around 150 mm. The land is fairly level and my pickup will hardly notice it Cars would quickly beat it down and it would melt off in a matter of days.

My pick-up's bigger than your pick-up.

V_A30D_D9_566x228.jpg

• Like 2

_79159878_datapic.png

'Historic' US storm returns to snow-covered north-east

A fierce storm is bringing more snow to parts of the US north-east, with officials warning residents to be prepared for 3ft (1m) of new snow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30124729

Looks suspiciously like a photoshop job. 55555

What about the 3 heart attack deaths. Are we sure they wouldn't of occurred anyway?

_79159878_datapic.png

A fierce storm is bringing more snow to parts of the US north-east, with officials warning residents to be prepared for 3ft (1m) of new snow.

Looks suspiciously like a photoshop job. 55555

What about the 3 heart attack deaths. Are we sure they wouldn't of occurred anyway?

Beats me. But they're having one helluva lot of snow over there.

I doubt AP News togs photoshop their photos. Results in instant career disaster I've heard.

When snow packs down, it gets quite heavy and quite solid. If he stops or turns suddenly there might be a few extra deaths.

He has that W T F look on his face. I'm just surprised the roof hasn't crushed in the way they build cars these days.

Ps: edit to say. Maybe the photog was using one of those dodgy mirrorless cameras and it distorted the amount of snow on his roof :P

Edited by neverdie

V_A30D_D9_566x228.jpg

Dude, my pickup will carry 4 of your pickups. There I am standing by a tire that is 12' (3.65 meters) tall. Just compare the size and height of the cabs for perspective. Look at the ladders it takes to get into my pickup.

You don't want to buy a pickup unless you're serious. tongue.png

downl.jpg

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

When snow packs down, it gets quite heavy and quite solid. If he stops or turns suddenly there might be a few extra deaths.

He has that W T F look on his face. I'm just surprised the roof hasn't crushed in the way they build cars these days.

Ps: edit to say. Maybe the photog was using one of those dodgy mirrorless cameras and it distorted the amount of snow on his roof tongue.png

I guess the physio didn't work then? biggrin.png

I told you before not to carry heavy loads.

• Like 1

V_A30D_D9_566x228.jpg

Dude, my pickup will carry 4 of your pickups. There I am standing by a tire that is 12' (3.65 meters) tall. Just compare the size and height of the cabs for perspective. Look at the ladders it takes to get into my pickup.

downl.jpg

Mate Sheila's drive those things in Australia, except they're bigger. I'm being serious too. :P

V_A30D_D9_566x228.jpg

downl.jpg

Seen loads of those in the mines north of Perth in Western Australia . So normal like the road trains you would not even email a picture to a friend. Be good in the villages of rural Thailand for taking the folks downtown when the Farang returns with his ATM card :-) Edited by Jay Sata

I've dragged this disastrously off-topic haven't I?

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

You have but you have a nice mod style.

Now the bottom line here is loads of snow and ice plus sub zero temperatures are normal for the Great Lakes

Region every year so don't worry.

If you every get a chance fly with Buffalo Airways in Northern Canada to discover real snow and low temperatures.

Edited by Jay Sata

Ps: edit to say. Maybe the photog was using one of those dodgy mirrorless cameras and it distorted the amount of snow on his roof tongue.png

Actually the roofs on vehicles are built extra strong for rollover protection. I can't remember when they started that but they are tested. They actually drop them from some height and they have to withstand it.

I agree he would easily go out of control on a slick surface. He's probably hoping it will fall off somewhere other than on his driveway where he'd have to shovel it.

_79159878_datapic.png

Too funny. Having spent 1/2 my life in places with snowfalls like this, I can relate! I was trying to find the pic of my Dodge van 100% covered by the snow. Took 4 days to get it out as you had to wait for the main roads to be cleared, then the smaller roads, then our even smaller road. And it had a "roof" of snow just like that. Not uncommon.

Places I loved when I was younger, but could never live there again. Too cold! I hated shoveling snow....or worse, scraping ice off windshields.

• Like 1

_79159878_datapic.png

Too funny. Having spent 1/2 my life in places with snowfalls like this, I can relate! I was trying to find the pic of my Dodge van 100% covered by the snow. Took 4 days to get it out as you had to wait for the main roads to be cleared, then the smaller roads, then our even smaller road. And it had a "roof" of snow just like that. Not uncommon.

Places I loved when I was younger, but could never live there again. Too cold! I hated shoveling snow....or worse, scraping ice off windshields.

We never get snow like this. We get a light dusting and the entire country ceases to function.

The problem for much of the Norther part of the US (and Canada), isn't that this is a lot of snow, it's that it is a lot of snow very, very early in the year and will stay around all winter. Snow doesn't go away. High winds blows it around and roads get blocked again.

Further South, it should melt away.

• Like 2

In Alaska, they don't plow the roads down to the cement/base. All winter, you drive on compacted snow. In the spring, they have what they call "breakup". It's an absolute mess. Sometimes the packed snow is 8-12 inches deep. For about a week, it's almost impossible to drive around unless you have a truck. They even have a website to predict when it will happen:

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/products/fcst.php?product=SRAK48PACR

post-5869-0-63358200-1416534069_thumb.jp