Thailand eyes becoming regional trade centre

webfact

"If we say it is so, then it must be".

"If we create a panel, commission or ministry, then it must be successful".

"If there are difficulties, it must be as a result of outside sources".

"We have determined the world is flat".

Are you joking me or what?

No, it's just Friday again. Time to make the last conflicting report on the same subject before the week is over.

Be fair it's a cunning plan. Amend the tax regimes for foreign businesses, with a few other incentives thrown in, to make it appear an attractive location. Hopefully they won't all read the small print regarding 51% Thai ownership of your 100% investment; or the proposed change in regulations to ensure that Thais also have full control of your business decisions and voting rights.

What could be more perfect? And they say Thailand lacks innovative thinking. A new business model like this will have all the foreign investors queuing up.

Look out G20!

Lets move our Asian business hub to a "Military Junta" controlled counrty. Company executives might get sacked by making such a suggestion.

The former Government looks smarter and smarter everyday after these recent press releases.

Companies and other governments don't care at all that the military is in charge. They might say something to hat effect in public but behind closed doors that are making deal. Japan has already caved in and is busy doing deals. UK and USA not far behind. USA, UK, etc work with some very dodgy regimes around the world. Money talks. Not much democracy in Middle East, but I don't see that stopping Western governments from bending over backwards for them. Maybe you don't understand international business. Businesses care about making money not who's in charge of the country. I bet it doesn't stop you spending money here.

Yes they do care. The coup has been devastating in some tourist industry sectors and has been estimated to cost the thai economy 700 billion loss over two years. You must believe these daily unbelievable press releases that seems more like comedy than reality.

The daily spin seems to be believed by many people though.

I don't believe this spin, nor the spin and blatant propaganda of the Thakisn arse-lickers.

The coup isn't 2 years old. The tourism industry decline was because costs were increasing but quality and value for money wasn't. The baht had strengthened significantly adding to the increase in costs for visitors. People were finding new destinations with better value propositions. Add onto that the wide circulation of scamming stories etc. The Shin regime attempt to ram through a blanket whitewash for their boss caused the mass protests which reduced numbers of visitors as people were rightly worried about the daily murderous attacks and apparent breakdown of law and order whilst a caretaker government was in melt down.

Suggesting the coup was the only reason, or was the "devastating" factor, is just nonsense. If the price and value for money are right, people will come.

Lets move our Asian business hub to a "Military Junta" controlled counrty. Company executives might get sacked by making such a suggestion.

The former Government looks smarter and smarter everyday after these recent press releases.

Companies and other governments don't care at all that the military is in charge. They might say something to hat effect in public but behind closed doors that are making deal. Japan has already caved in and is busy doing deals. UK and USA not far behind. USA, UK, etc work with some very dodgy regimes around the world. Money talks. Not much democracy in Middle East, but I don't see that stopping Western governments from bending over backwards for them. Maybe you don't understand international business. Businesses care about making money not who's in charge of the country. I bet it doesn't stop you spending money here.

Yes they do care. The coup has been devastating in some tourist industry sectors and has been estimated to cost the thai economy 700 billion loss over two years. You must believe these daily unbelievable press releases that seems more like comedy than reality.

The daily spin seems to be believed by many people though.

"The former Government looks smarter and smarter everyday after these recent press releases."

You must believe the contradictory lies spouted at every opportunity by the former one man controlled government?

Rice scheme - no losses, financial issues or quality problems here. Farmers will be all paid next week, we vow.

G2G deals - massive orders secured - but we can't tell you, it's confidential.

We are for democracy - but not electing provisional governors. We want to appoint our friends, and only our friends.

Lies are o k, even ethical, if they make the people feel happier.

2.2 trillion baht loan - off budget, with no parliamentary oversight. Trust us smile.png

You certainly seem to believe the PTP book of fairy stories.

• Like 1

Another Hub ... for Christ sake give it a rest.

Tell me ... would this be helped along with the proposed changes in the FBA which will see foreigners having to hand over 51% of their assets to a bunch of greedy and corrupt morons? Yeah that'll help the economy.

I'd like to hear from anyone who thinks doing business in Thailand is considered a sensible investment strategy because I fail to understand why any foreigner would take such an onerous risk with an ultra-nationalistic society where they feel they have a right to own and control anything even if they didn't pay for it just because it happens to be on Thai soil.

I spent 10 years in Thailand and the number of idiots (real estate agents) who tried to convince me that buying property was A) a sound investment and; B) safe was unreal and yet there are a number of my friends who were lured in and they have all lost money and most continuously worry what draconian measures the gov will come up with next in order to effectively steal what they paid for.

I live in Phuket ... take away all the foreign businesses and what have you got left ... SFA!

x14165495636606-640x390x1.jpg.pagespeed.

I bet the bow tie spins round and the flower squirts water.

Thailand eyes becoming regional trade centre…

And in the background they play the Eagles song:

You can't hide your lying eyes and your smile is a thin disguise

I guess by now you realize there ain't no way to hide your lying eyes

Sometimes it seems their right hand thinks they are wa*king and the left hand thinks they are pis*ing.

Congratulations that he can say it with a straight face though!

That in itself speaks volumes about the quality of the delusional leadership here. Maybe he actually believes it, which is very worrying.

It will not happen in my childrens' lifetime.

On second thoughts, he has the inkling of a smile, and a nice little bow tie: maybe he has ambitions to be a clown.

Funny

Edited by eddie61
  • Like 1

They've had companies come here in the past, wanting to make Thailand their regional base for South-East Asia, or even Asia as a whole.

After all, it's got the decent hotels for head office managers flying in to do the tour of local offices.

It's got, in Bangkok, a city of a decent size, that's a lot less expensive than Hong Kong, Tokyo or Singapore.

The problem is - even, as in the case of SAP (who, if you don't know are a big software house), who have large numbers of clients in Thailand, and where they'd already made the decision to base in Thailand, they then talk to immigration.

Once they find out all the hoops they have to jump through to transfer staff to Thailand from other Asian countries (Thai's don't exactly speak a lot of other Asian languages, so if you set up an Asian regional centre here, you end up having to hire people that speak Malay, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Urdu, Hindi, etc.), let alone transferrees from head office, the idea of Thailand being their Asian centre dies very quickly.

(Foreign companies can set up a local branch, at least banks can, and still keep 100% control of that branch. But they aren't allowed to grow a network).