'Billions' of Baht worth of assets found at Thai CIB chief's home

webfact

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is done to prevent the next chief to do the same thing?

To late my friend!!sad.png

He is at it as we type!!

Hint: Major shareholder in WAT, AQ, SLC and MLINK.

Codename for this crackdown: "Cut out the middleman"

Hats of the the powers that be on this one.

Lets hope this case is pursued properly and appropriate custodial sentences dished out.

Its a tiny tip of a huge iceberg, but its a start.

I expect these guys have stepped on the wrong toes, or pinned their flags on the wrong ship.

Hopefully its a sign of things to come, not just a purge of a few wrongly aligned ones.

It's a purge of those that have the wrong political affiliations, friends or paymasters, nothing more, nothing less and it won't go any deeper than that.

If this is true it would be a good and necessary action, considering there is only one very influential paymaster who caused a lot of havoc to this country and made the military coup necessary in the end.

• Like 1

Well well well - i guess most of us was wrong, looks like there are going to be some cleanup after all, good!

It will set a good example down the ranks. About time some of the big boys got named....

Let's hope the boys in green have the courage to clean up a bit in their own camp, as well rolleyes.gif

Let's hope it's not the end of it.

The whole force from top to bottom needs reform.

Including those that have a blitz near the end of the month.

Get off your fat <deleted> and police.

Hope they use part of that money to compensate the innocent Burmese boys in Koh Tao!

The two men arrested for the murders there have not even been appeared in court yet, so unless you have access to the ThaiVisa crystal ball you don't know whether they are innocent of those crimes or not.

OK. Wait until either their innocence is proven - or the proof of their guilt fails.

Edited by sweatalot

It's nice to see the doubters start to eat their words.

Try to connect the dots!!

This is a trade. The PM gets rid of some inconvenient (and corrupt) red policeofficers and in return he will turn a blind eye to the actions of the guys in charge of the RTP now!!

Edited by JOC

This is a trade. The PM gets rid of some incovenient (and corrupt) red policeofficers and in return he will turn a blind eye to the actions of the guys in charge of the RTP now!!

And the roundabout continues to turn.

• Like 1

Ordinary Thais could start by not always wai'ing the wealthiest government official in their street. Once the blind respect is gone, people might realise that they are just criminals and should be treated as such. And without the respect someone might even dare reporting and checking these people's wealth.

• Like 1

What great news,, I do my fair share of winging with all the disgusting corruption that goes on so credit where credit due.

I may be a relative newcomer to Thailand compared to some but I am sure this is very rare and I certainly have not seen such a senior figure in the Police collared.

I hope this is the start of the ball rolling, I hope this sends all the other corrupt coppers running for the hills. Nothing like a spell of high profile arrests to send a message that you are not untouchable after all...

Keep it up Thailand, for the good of your own country,,

This is a trade. The PM gets rid of some inconvenient (and corrupt) red policeofficers and in return he will turn a blind eye to the actions of the guys in charge of the RTP now!!

Ah right, of course - easier to bark up the tree of paranoia and continued conspiracies. I forgot. Thanks for reminding me of that (rolls eyes)

1 billion baht in cash seems rather a lot to keep in your house. If these were in 1,000 baht notes, then that's a million notes. 1 million baht in 1,000 baht notes is a 'wad' about 7cm in height. So I calculate that there was about 700 metres total height of cash. If the room height is say, 3 metres (nice house), then that still makes 233 piles of cash from floor to ceiling.

Where did he sit to eat breakfast???

'Simon said' you have a vivid imagination, alas maths contradict you: when your 7cm. are correct, 7cm. x 1,000 : 100/m. = 70m. = less than 70 shoeboxes will do, ask your wife whether she could stash 70 boxes with new shoes in the cupboard, yes will be the answer... And don't forget either there were also US$, and gold bars too... maybe a lot less shoeboxes, but some very heavy ones...

Edited by bangrak

‘Billions of Baht worth of Assets’ .. Even if it’s only 2 billion, that’s more than $70,000,000 and could take an awful lot of explaining. It’s a shocking amount of money & property to be found in one persons home, but perhaps more shocking to me is the initial response from some of my Thai colleagues. Many seem to see whatever’s been perpetrated here as a 'victimless crime', and in a way, see these people as being good at what they did, except of course, when it came to getting caught. They seem to think that those assets have materialised out of thin air and can’t see that whatever’s been taken has been taken from some person, or from some organisation. They simply can’t see that this, along with the many other forms of corruption here, is taking money directly out of the economy, and indirectly, out of their own pockets.

Hat’s off to the authorities for going after the juicier fruit.

Sadly, there is much the same sort of attitude to corruption by the ruling elite in Laos . Instead of outrage by ordinary people there is passive acceptance verging on admiration for the way these people have manipulated the system and a desire to copy them.

It is the same when it comes to cheating in education institutions. Most really don't see it as something wrong. Their main regret is they do not have the money to cheat themselves.

There is little understanding of how corruption is a cancer that affects everyone in the country.

Edited by ironbark

The Pm is doing some awesome job. However, I don't think he will ever get to the end of the line of millions of corrupt people in here.

He deserves credit for trying hard - so far, he is far more effective than the last 10 administrations put together.

Also, a convenient side effect is that by clearing out the corruptions, he's also clearing out all the political acolytes of Thaksin, who rose to the top via corruptions - so yes, removing corrupt officials serves both purposes, both of which benefit Thailand positively.

<snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Dangerous reference deleted
  • Like 2

1 billion baht in cash seems rather a lot to keep in your house. If these were in 1,000 baht notes, then that's a million notes. 1 million baht in 1,000 baht notes is a 'wad' about 7cm in height. So I calculate that there was about 700 metres total height of cash. If the room height is say, 3 metres (nice house), then that still makes 233 piles of cash from floor to ceiling.

'Simon said' you have a vivid imagination, alas maths contradict you: when your 7cm. are correct, 7cm. x 1,000 : 100/m. = 70m. = less than 70 shoeboxes will do, ask your wife whether she could stash 70 boxes with new shoes in the cupboard, yes will be the answer... And don't forget either there were also US$, and gold bars too... maybe a lot less shoeboxes, but some very heavy ones...

Gold bars are the way to go, will not turn mouldy in the humid climate.

• Like 1

so will the assets and cash be seized or simply given to his family?, for some reason here the proceeds of crime are never seized and the families benefit from all the corruption plagues offences of the criminal. Its way past time all proceeds were seized including bank accounts, property etc, if the families have to struggle then that is part of being involved in criminal activities, they have lived off the benefits for long enough, take everything.

That's like the Israeli's do. They bulldoze the house of the family of a suicide bomber.

Gold bars are the way to go, will not turn mouldy in the humid climate.

Ex-cop??tongue.png

• Like 1

1 billion baht in cash

What a disgusting piece of sh*t

When are Thais going to take to the streets and demand the police force is ripped up from the roots and reformed

This is a completely naive point of view. Police forces the world over have proved themselves to be corrupt if left unsupervised, hence the proliferation of Integrity Commissions and Corruption Commissions with independent supervision and often the ability to hold extensive public hearings where the right to silence and self-incrimination do not exist. The best of them investigate politicians and bureaucrats. The only country or territory in SE Asia with a comparable commission is in Hong Kong but I'm not sure that they have the right to conduct open hearings - too much "face" at stake.

Edited by SaintLouisBlues
  • Like 1

Hats of the the powers that be on this one.

Lets hope this case is pursued properly and appropriate custodial sentences dished out.

Its a tiny tip of a huge iceberg, but its a start.

I expect these guys have stepped on the wrong toes, or pinned their flags on the wrong ship.

Hopefully its a sign of things to come, not just a purge of a few wrongly aligned ones.

It's a purge of those that have the wrong political affiliations, friends or paymasters, nothing more, nothing less and it won't go any deeper than that.

Yes, It's a good thing for corruption to be rooted out, just a shame that it's politically motivated and therefore targeted. No problem vis a vis slinging these guys in jail, that's surely a good thing, but because it's politically motivated, it means others get away.

And if the other guys ever get back in power, they'll do the same right back.

Does the overall level of corruption ever decrease? I'm not sure. Perhaps yes in terms of large abuses as the last elected government seemed to tolerate high levels of corruption. But year on year, I'm not sure there's much in the way of a decrease and definitely low level "way of life" bribes never change.

The Pm is doing some awesome job. However, I don't think he will ever get to the end of the line of millions of corrupt people in here.

He deserves credit for trying hard - so far, he is far more effective than the last 10 administrations put together.

Also, a convenient side effect is that by clearing out the corruptions, he's also clearing out all the political acolytes of Thaksin, who rose to the top via corruptions - so yes, removing corrupt officials serves both purposes, both of which benefit Thailand positively.

<snip>

Mr Daffy!!

You clearly refuse to see, there are dirty cops with yellow affiliation.

For starters, may I suggest, you do a little research on the guy behind this crackdown: Somyot Pumpanmuang. Please report your findings back here!!

There are dirty cops on both sides of the political spectrum. So sadly IMO this is not a cleanup, but merely a redirecting of the cashflow!!coffee1.gif

1 billion baht in cash

What a disgusting piece of sh*t

When are Thais going to take to the streets and demand the police force is ripped up from the roots and reformed

I agree. People must protest. BUT, people must reform also. If all citizens would wish to be in a positition of power where graft is possible and also able to be concealed, then there is no hope at the present stage of development. The test, to determine 'maturity' as far as the readiness to resist graft, I think, is the measure of the will of a population to pay taxes. Paying taxes because they feel it is the right thing to do. I think some advanced societies in the west are on the right track.

Bottom line:

If people believe that given the opportunity they will dip their finger in honey then the actions of the officer are understood in the sense that he is doing what everybody wants to do. A society improves when the urge for personal gain is somewhat decelerated when confronted with the moral dilemma.

So what has this guy done to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar? He has been nailed to the cross for something?

Will he have a lot to tell? If not why not? Will he keep some of his spoils as they turn out to be his wife', children, mum and dad, housekeepers, gardeners, the dogs monies that they had forgotten they lent Dad?

What they need to do these guys is get them to come clean and tell how they have invested their weekly officers wage to turn into millions and in this case billions of baht. Could solve GDP for this year?

Well well well - i guess most of us was wrong, looks like there are going to be some cleanup after all, good!

It will set a good example down the ranks. About time some of the big boys got named....

Let's hope the boys in green have the courage to clean up a bit in their own camp, as well rolleyes.gif

Don't jump into conclusion yet.

This is Thailand and with any change scores will be settled. Although I am not heart broken about this guy.