US defence secretary Chuck Hagel resigns

webfact

US defence secretary Chuck Hagel resigns

WASHINGTON: -- Chuck Hagel has resigned as US defence secretary after less than two years in the top post.

President Barack Obama confirmed his resignation and paid tribute to his "class and integrity".

Mr Hagel, 68, a Vietnam war veteran and former Republican senator, said it had been his life's "greatest privilege".

Last month, it was reported that he was sharply critical of the US strategy against Islamic State and in relation to the Syria regime.

He will stay on as secretary until his successor is confirmed.

An unnamed official told the Associated Press news agency that Mr Hagel and Mr Obama both "determined that it was time for new leadership in the Pentagon" and had been discussing the move for weeks.

Mr Obama said Mr Hagel had come to him to discuss the "appropriate time to complete his service".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30182410

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-25

I know that some here would like to bash Obama, but Secretary Hagel was most likely not suited for this position. This is what the information coming out seems to suggest. This without insulting a man who has served his country honorably in uniform, in politics and as Secretary of Defense.

• Like 1

When Chuck Hagel and the Leader of the Military went to the press and TV to expose the ISIS threat while Obama was vacationing...I predicted that Hagel's days would be numbered...so also we might see a new leader named for the Military by Obama...

Obama had refused to take seriously the ISIS threat...and Hagel exposing this threat to the public...forced Obama's hand...

The Commander and Chief of the US Armed Forces...which is Obama...was not amused at Hagel's seemingly lack of loyalty and seeing Hagel as not being a good yes man to confirm the President's lack of leadership in this issue...Obama forced Hagel to resign...

America has few patriots left to challenge the elite fools of Washington...

Amen Brother! USAF 1968-1972

I know that some here would like to bash Obama, but Secretary Hagel was most likely not suited for this position. This is what the information coming out seems to suggest. This without insulting a man who has served his country honorably in uniform, in politics and as Secretary of Defense.

Yes, he was the only cabinet member that was a Republican...

When Chuck Hagel and the Leader of the Military went to the press and TV to expose the ISIS threat while Obama was vacationing...I predicted that Hagel's days would be numbered...so also we might see a new leader named for the Military by Obama...

Obama had refused to take seriously the ISIS threat...and Hagel exposing this threat to the public...forced Obama's hand...

The Commander and Chief of the US Armed Forces...which is Obama...was not amused at Hagel's seemingly lack of loyalty and seeing Hagel as not being a good yes man to confirm the President's lack of leadership in this issue...Obama forced Hagel to resign...

America has few patriots left to challenge the elite fools of Washington...

Yes men ( and women )

The scourge of the West.

Whether he walked or was pushed, I hope he keeps his head held high.

I am not a fan of Ted Cruz, but if it is to protest Obama ignoring the constitution on other matters, it may be appropriate. He is not the only one who can misuse his powers.

I was being sarcastic UG.

Since he's been party to blocking just about every nomination that Obama has put forward, what difference does one more make?

He's just a useless and obstructive politician.

Edited by Chicog

This is what happens when you tell the truth as a cabinet member in the Obama administration...

No, this is what happens when you go against your commander-in-chief's policy.

Which is what???

Oh, now you want me to explain Obama's policies. I understand most anti-Obamaists use Fox News to explain their president's policies.

Oh, now you want me to explain Obama's policies. I understand most anti-Obamaists use Fox News to explain their president's policies.

There are plenty of democrats that are against Obama's policies and they don't watch Fox. Didn't you pay attention to the midterm election and see all the democrats running away from him and his policies?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Democrats-against-Obama/371305109602093

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

He was overwhelmingly confirmed, vets and military support him.Who thinks he was not suited other than potus?

What has this topic got to do with Thailand. I have topics removed with the moderator saying "Nothing to do with Thailand"

Did you read the title of the topic, many news stories here on TV are of an international nature and have nothing to do with Thailand.

This is what happens when you tell the truth as a cabinet member in the Obama administration...

Which is what???

So you obviously have other news sources so can easily explain, potus's policies "Which is what?"

Jumped or pushed it matters little. I would have thought its a case of rats leaving a sinking foreign policy, but for the narcissist in charge heads had to roll after the mid terms.

In other dept's I would agree with you but this is the Defense dept. where it is important that does not happen.

Poor argument rule # 14: Ignore all statements that include, "seems to" and "most likely"...

Edited by dukebowling

The question is: Do you embroil the US military in another full on Middle East ground war? It hasn't exactly been a roaring success trying that so far. If Hagel was for it and everyone else against, it does render his position somewhat futile.

There are plenty of democrats that are against Obama's policies and they don't watch Fox. Didn't you pay attention to the midterm election and see all the democrats running away from him and his policies?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Democrats-against-Obama/371305109602093

Yeah, and many Republicans voted for Obama in 2008 because they were tired of Bush. Our two-party politics is like bumper-cars in the carnival; we go right (Republican) until it hurts; then we go left (Democrat) until it hurts; then we repeat the same cycle. However, my statements concerned the ousting of Hagel for speaking against his commander-in-chief's policies.

it can be pretty amazing at times how the GOP conducts itself. They don't give a rats ass about the country, just whatever they can do to be contradictory and spiteful to the current president. I don't have a whole lot of love for Mr. Obama but good god, these republicans aren't fooling anyone with their actions either.

Which is what???

Obama had only one policy and that became Obamacare. For the rest, if it is inconvenient he just goes and plays golf and pretends it's not happening. Only if it is perceived as being good for him will he do anything, as with the raid that killed Bin Laden. Pity he wasn't as concerned for the ambassador in Benghazi.