booking hotels in vietnam

stevehaigh

how are prices for hotels in vietnam in the bigger cities online vs. show up at the door?

i've booked a few places in hanoi, sapa, HCM etc via hotels.com (agoda is about the same price) and the initial price looks good, about 800-1200b/nightbut then the taxes and fees jumps it up 30%.

if i was to book say one night online then extend while in the hotel, do you think it would be cheaper?

thx

• 3 months later...

Well, I think cash over the counter is always welcome and your rate would probably be no better or worse than from a booking site. The exception would be when there are some online bonus discounts on offer. If it turns out worse, step aside, sit down and book over your smartphone right in front of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot say it always or mostly happens, but when you book a certain type of room, you may arrive and get a lessor room. Also, responding to email inquiries and hence, common sense is maybe lacking at times. That said.... Cash IS king in VN. AeVERYTHING is negotiable in VN. Be firm, direct, polite, and have cash. Always bargain.