Wi-fi Adapter For Laptop

cnnaing

Generally you should buy an adapter of the same brand of the access point. So go find the acess point, and see what brand it is.

That is OK in principle as the manufacturers have done some tweaks to get better speed.

However if you plan to roam, then any brand will do.

I have a Linksys which has done good service for several years.

I particularly like the connection sw that tells you what networks are available

and when you do connect, whether an Internet gateway is available.

I use the zyxel g-220 usb wireless adapter (and an older b-220)

Am very happy with them, advantage of the USB version is you can use them with any computer, desktop or laptop.

Also, with the small (supplied) USB extension lead you can move the adapter a fair bit around to get best signal.

I do however had a bad experience with a zyxel PCMCII card, it worked but reception was pretty awfull. Had to be standing almost under the accesspoint!

The Linksys WUSBF54G incorporates a network finder, which will display all detectable networks on its little LCD, including their signal strength and whether they are locked or open. You can sit in a shopping centre or office building restaurant and detect all the open wifi networks around, before powering up your laptop.

Bought mine at Panthip for about 2800 baht.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Linksys_WUSBF54G_W...7-31530150.html

However, see related thread re legality of using open networks ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77928

Edited by Hmmm

i used to have a linksys card too - never had any problems - and before that one from enterasys which was fine with enterasys AP but a pain in the ass with some others. Now i use a Samsung Q30 plus notebook which hast, as most other new notebooks, the WIFI part built in.

cheers

cyber

As many notebooks have wireless built in you may find what you want in one of the second hand shops in the computer malls.

Just make sure it supports both 802.11B and G protocols.

The G is the faster and what you really need.