Union wants Thai Labour Ministry to keep out foreign helicopter pilots

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

""Foreign captains usually earn double or about Bt400,000 per month compared with Bt200,000 for locals. However, operators like to use foreigners maybe because of the company's image and also the pilots' expertise," Saran said."

I would say that last point is kind of important when you are flapping about 1,000m+ above the ground in single engined wingless aircraft.

Its pretty important at 33thousand 2

"Foreign captains usually earn double or about Bt400,000 per month compared with Bt200,000 for locals. However, operators like to use foreigners maybe because of the company's image and also the pilots' expertise," Saran said.

Companies are willing to pay double for foreign pilots expertise, shocking! I suppose the purchase, maintenance and insurance costs of helicopters might have something to do with wanting an expert pilot.

Particularly when it comes to landing on oil rigs.

I would want the best pilot available and if thats a foreigner, that's a foreigner.

If I have to chose between a pot smoking Vietnam veteran pilot and a THAI trained chopper chauffeur I'd know what to do.

I really hate to intrude in your little fantasy world, but here's a news flash for you: Not all Vietnam vets are, or ever were, pot heads.

If I have to chose between a pot smoking Vietnam veteran pilot and a THAI trained chopper chauffeur I'd know what to do.

Ummm...You do know the war ended in 1975. The youngest would be at least 60. Anyway, many of the pilots are Canadians. The Thai pilots seem to come mostly from the military.

I really hate to intrude in your little fantasy world, but here's a news flash for you: Not all Vietnam vets are, or ever were, pot heads.

Having met quite a few of the foreign pilots, I'd have to say they are a very serious group. Well trained and love flying.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would say that last point is kind of important when you are flapping about 1,000m+ above the ground in single engined wingless aircraft.

Helicopters aren't 'wingless'. They have a wing that rotates rather than remaining stationary.

Kind of like kiwis flapping their wings.

Helicopters aren't 'wingless'. They have a wing that rotates rather than remaining stationary.

Kind of like kiwis flapping their wings.

Kiwis can't fly. Helicopters (rotary winged aircraft) can...

2.5 billion a year to train one pilot in Thailand?

Oh well ban foreigners then other countries ban all Thais then listened to the cries from Thais about racism and discrimination.

I am curious as to how many qualified Thai pilots are looking for jobs and are out of work due to farang taking their jobs. Almost all commercial pilots in the U.S. come from the military. It is the only way they can get the number of hours they need to find a job. Are there helicopter pilots coming out of the Thai military or do they expect someone to pick up their training from scratch? Good luck with that.

Many operators in Thailand prefer to hire foreign pilots because they do not want to spend Bt5 billion on two years of training to produce one pilot.

most pilots I've worked with in Australia and Canadian civilian pilots wear that financial burden themselves.

Is there anything unusual for a country to give preference to their own citizens rather than to foreigners?

Is there ANY country in this planet that does so? give preference to foreigners when locals are available.

(Some I do know - they pay a pittance for the foreigner to make their pocket fat)

"However, operators like to use foreigners maybe because of the company's image and also the pilots' expertise," Saran said."

5 billion spent in training and the pesky foreigner is still a better pilot. Might want to revise the training programme.

• Like 1

Is there anything unusual for a country to give preference to their own citizens rather than to foreigners?

Is there ANY country in this planet that does so? give preference to foreigners when locals are available.

(Some I do know - they pay a pittance for the foreigner to make their pocket fat)

There's a difference between exercising a preference and banning foreign competition because they have better expertise.

• Like 1

This wouldn't be an issue if Thai pilots are getting the 400k per month and the foreigner 200k.

The skill sets aren't the same. Thus, the difference in pay. Also, not as many flight hours. So in several ways, they are not as experienced.

Just spoke with my friend, he says they welcome Thai pilots and the ones they work with are good. But there aren't enough. Get rid of the foreigners and the companies requiring these services would be in trouble.

The foreign pilots sign up for 1-2 year contracts. These contracts pop up all over the world. Burma, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. Quite the demand for experienced pilots.