Greek diplomat killed trying to jump onto a moving train in Kanchanaburi

webfact

KANCHANABURI: -- A Greek diplomat was killed when she tried to jump onto a moving No 257 train from Thonburi to Nam Tok railway station in Saiyok district of Kanchanaburi province this afternoon.

She was identified as Mrs Aristea Liapi, an attaché attached to the Greece Embassy in Bangkok.

She missed the step of the train and rolled into the wheels of the moving train.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/74402

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-26

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greek diplomat killed at Nam Tok station by train

KANCHANABURI: -- A Greek diplomat was killed when she tried to jump onto a moving No 257 train from Thonburi to Nam Tok railway station in Saiyok district of Kanchanaburi province this afternoon.

The incident happened at 1.00 pm at Nam Tok station in the Duan Saiyok park in Saiyok district.

She was identified as Mrs Aristea Liapi, an attaché at the Greece Embassy in Bangkok.

An eyewitness said the victim jumped out of the slow-moving train for photographing and jumped onto the train again.

However she missed the steps and rolled into the rails.

Saiyok forensic officials and police were inspecting the scene.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/greek-diplomat-killed-nam-tok-station-train

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-26

Such a waste.

ust reminds me that farangs should not attempt to do what Thais do on a daily basis - they can get away with the most risky actions because they are more skilled/practised/lucky and have benevolent angels watching over their shoulders (or around their necks).

Greek diplomat killed by train near Bridge on River Kwai town
Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

A Greek diplomat based in Bangkok was killed Wednesday after she fell under a moving train while visiting a popular Thailand tourist region known for inspiring the classic film "The Bridge on the River Kwai", police said.

The woman, who was in her early 50s and worked as an attache at the Greek embassy, died during a family trip to Kanchanaburi, a town in western Thailand famous for its World War II-era bridge spanning the River Kwai and nearby national park.

Local police said the accident occurred as the woman dashed to get off a train as it pulled out of a station where her family had already disembarked. During the rush she slipped and fell under the train's wheels.

"She came with her family. At the train station all of her family disembarked but she was left behind," Lieutenant Kasan Para of Sai Yok police station told AFP by telephone.

He added: "She rushed to get off the train but it was already moving and she fell and got pulled underneath. She died instantly at the scene."

Kasan said the woman's body had been taken to Sai Yok district hospital.

Tourists flock to Kanchanaburi to see a bridge spanning the River Kwai, which was constructed by POWs who endured brutal treatment at the hands of their Japanese overlords.

Their experiences building what came to be known as the "Death Railway" was later captured in the 1950s classic movie "The Bridge on the River Kwai".

Sai Yok, 100 kilometres (62 miles) northwest of Kanchanaburi, is the jumping off point for a national park famed for its picturesque waterfalls.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-11-26

She "rolled into the wheels"?

Trying to figure the translation issues with this.

RIP and condolences to the family.

Edit.

Just read the update and am more confused than before. Jumping off, with your momentum taking you away from the train and reversing course to get caught in the wheels?

Its true I guess the laws of physics do not apply in Thailand.

Edited by dcutman

Sounds... odd to say the least. Maybe, maybe not.

Just out of curiosity, what happens in your version of events?

I have no version, if you are wise-assin' it. Don't know what would prompt her to do something so foolish- we don't know, weren't there.

• Like 1

I have no version, if you are wise-assin' it. Don't know what would prompt her to do something so foolish- we don't know, weren't there.

Just curious as to why it would not be taken at face value.........

We all do dumb stuff from time 2 time.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Just read the update and am more confused than before. Jumping off, with your momentum taking you away from the train and reversing course to get caught in the wheels?

Its true I guess the laws of physics do not apply in Thailand!!!!!

So many people (in every country in the world) have fallen under train wheels just like this, the train momentum takes you along with it if you do not let go quickly enough.

My understanding is there is a psychological explanation, people feel the train speeding-up and cannot let go in time, self-preservation fear makes the brain stop you opening your hand.

“Possibly something to do with the "fight or flight response”?

• Like 2

Just curious as to why it would not be taken at face value.........

We all do dumb stuff from time 2 time.

incoherent, hungover, absent minded..who knows? Not typical behavior of a diplomat. A local country bumpkin, I could imagine it..but this is surprising being a diplomat..

Pretty stupid action of a diplomat.

Yes, we know, you're so much better, and not a diplomat! That really sets you apart.

Hes not a diplomat, but whos the smartest a dead diplomat or a live poster with common sense. And since when does a persons status have anything to do with intelligence. A lot of people get top jobs because of the old boy network and cronyism. I would rather be a live road sweeper, cleaner or other type of job you would properly look down on than a dead diplomat or a dead billionaire.

Edited by MRDave

Its true I guess the laws of physics do not apply in Thailand!!!!!

So many people (in every country in the world) have fallen under train wheels just like this, the train momentum takes you along with it if you do not let go quickly enough.

My understanding is there is a psychological explanation, people feel the train speeding-up and cannot let go in time, self-preservation fear makes the brain stop you opening your hand.

“Possibly something to do with the "fight or flight response”?

There is another report somewhere that says her bag got caught on something as she was getting off.

• Like 2

RIP Mrs Aristea Liapi and sincere condolences to family and friends another tragic accident in Thailand soon wont have a chance to jump on to moving train in Thailand once the high speed Chinese trains are rocketing by at 300 mph through the station.