Phil Hughes: Australian batsman dies, aged 25

webfact

^ DEFINATELY bad luck, but it's so easy, even for a great batsman like this for one to slightly misread the ball, or slight deviation of the ball off the seam, whatever and all of a sudden it's past you and into your neck at 140 odd km/h. It's a hard ball as you well know. Cripes getting hit in the side of the thigh, even thru pads hurt. I've never faced a ball travelling that fast, thank heavens.

I don't know what the answer is.

Phil Hughes was a champion young man, living his dreams, didn't have a mean bone in his body and now this. terrible.

Cricket is such a wonderful game that brings joy to so many. It brings nations together.

TODAY EVERYONE MOURNS. :(

• Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R.I.P. and thoughts also with the bowler.

Let's hope there's support for him and no stupid remarks, chanting etc when he plays.

I don't know one fan that would think of doing that, but I know plenty that would club them unconscious if they did.

I sincerely hope u are right and it never happens.

In some sports he would be targeted unfortunately.

Horrendous news.

Shows that basically other than a glancing blow to the top of your head, a helmet offers little protection.

I played cricket to a high enough level and saw 2 or 3 horrendous injuries from top edges into the face. So everyone started wearing helmets and then they became compulsory for kids playing.

But recently 2 through the grill and peak last year and one fractured skull. The helmets need a serious redesign and rethink. Or batsmen, and I am not singling Hughes in any way here, need to start ducking and weaving a bit more instead of being happy hookers and thinking their helmet will save them.

Times have changed, and virtually no batsmen leave bouncers anymore. Bowling machines and helmets mean that even numbers 7/11 are happy hookers these days. It isn't meant to be that way, but time have changed.

Very tragic for the Hughes family and cricket in general. He was a good player and well liked it seems. A little unlucky with selection I think.

Anyone who can get 100 at wanderers in their 2nd or 3 rd match off ntini and morkel can't be a bad player. Rip.

Mate, the ball hit him at the base of the scull-top of the neck, at the rear/side. The ball crushed and split the artery. Apparently it's happened once before by a cricket ball. I can't recall it though.

It's absolutely tragic, The helmet would need to come way, way down to cover that area.

He was a great cricketer and country boy from Macksville on the NSW mid north coast.

Its horrendously bad luck. The only other story of a death batting I remember reading was a kid getting hit over the heart and then batting on.

The design has been essentially the same for 30 years. They will come up with something now. A shroud? A skullcap? Its a life and death issue tragically and it deserves a rethink.

Bear in mind, there have been plenty of cases of it going between peak and grill. Now I am not sure about you, but if doubt there isnt one company out there with a solution.

The problem is that a helmet that protects the neck/lower skull will really restrict the batsman's head movements.

• Like 1

Horrendous news.

Shows that basically other than a glancing blow to the top of your head, a helmet offers little protection.

I played cricket to a high enough level and saw 2 or 3 horrendous injuries from top edges into the face. So everyone started wearing helmets and then they became compulsory for kids playing.

But recently 2 through the grill and peak last year and one fractured skull. The helmets need a serious redesign and rethink. Or batsmen, and I am not singling Hughes in any way here, need to start ducking and weaving a bit more instead of being happy hookers and thinking their helmet will save them.

Times have changed, and virtually no batsmen leave bouncers anymore. Bowling machines and helmets mean that even numbers 7/11 are happy hookers these days. It isn't meant to be that way, but time have changed.

Very tragic for the Hughes family and cricket in general. He was a good player and well liked it seems. A little unlucky with selection I think.

Anyone who can get 100 at wanderers in their 2nd or 3 rd match off ntini and morkel can't be a bad player. Rip.

Mate, the ball hit him at the base of the scull-top of the neck, at the rear/side. The ball crushed and split the artery. Apparently it's happened once before by a cricket ball. I can't recall it though.

It's absolutely tragic, The helmet would need to come way, way down to cover that area.

He was a great cricketer and country boy from Macksville on the NSW mid north coast.

Its horrendously bad luck. The only other story of a death batting I remember reading was a kid getting hit over the heart and then batting on.

The design has been essentially the same for 30 years. They will come up with something now. A shroud? A skullcap? Its a life and death issue tragically and it deserves a rethink.

Bear in mind, there have been plenty of cases of it going between peak and grill. Now I am not sure about you, but if doubt there isnt one company out there with a solution.

The problem is that a helmet that protects the neck/lower skull will really restrict the batsman's head movements.

Not necessarily if its done right with the right design. I was thinking if a design myself actually.

Was busy cutting it out yesterday. Batsmen stand sideways, so everything behind them and to the right shoulder (if right handed) is unnecessary. Need to protect over theledt shoulder for a right handed batsman. Doesns t need to be big, just big enough to deflect or reduce the impact

• Like 1

whistling.gif Sorry for being a dumb yank, but what exactly is a "short pitched delivery"?

The delivery part I understand, but the term "short pitched" has me confused.

Oh dear, for a country that has "world series" games, surely you must understand cricket? But I will let those of greater cricketing knowledge than me to explain what a "bouncer" is.

And for us other dumb farangs, may I now ask how you guys have world series games where only local (USA) teams take part? Hardly worthy of "world series" status whistling.gif

Ok, a bit of a wind up but I am still curious.

A sad day, my thoughts go out to the family of Phil Hughes.

Also to Sean Abbot.

Other than encasing them in suits of armour, it is difficult to see how injuries to batsmen can be totally eliminated. Though, thankfully, tragedies such as this are very rare.

• Like 1

whistling.gif Sorry for being a dumb yank, but what exactly is a "short pitched delivery"?

The delivery part I understand, but the term "short pitched" has me confused.

Oh dear, for a country that has "world series" games, surely you must understand cricket? But I will let those of greater cricketing knowledge than me to explain what a "bouncer" is.

And for us other dumb farangs, may I now ask how you guys have world series games where only local (USA) teams take part? Hardly worthy of "world series" status whistling.gif

Ok, a bit of a wind up but I am still curious.

It is a potentially lethal ball every time it's used. After this, I can see them having to inform the batsman in advance, or possibly the short pitched delivery being outlawed completely, unless they can find protective gear that does the job.

A terrible loss, condolences to his family and friends, also to cricket Australia. Must share a thought for Sean Abbot, can't begin to imagine what he is going through now.

Yes, poor bloke.

Having said that it is a freak injury. There have only been 100 recorded before, and only one ever in cricket.

But it doesn't mean they should not take steps to prevent it if they can, even one life wasted is too much.

As a cricket lover I'm mortified. Although a pom I have the greatest respect for the Australian players, who play aggressively but fairly.

I understand the ball hit him on the side of the neck and burst the artery. An inch either way and he would have survived.

My thoughts are equally with his family and the bowler. It will be a long time before he can take the field again.

• Like 2

In the late 80's the poms introduced a nape protector to be added to military helmets as protection against bricks etc in an urban environment. I have no idea whether something similar could enhance a cricketers attire but here's what it looked like (minus the visor/wearer would be facing left):

DSCN2990_tm.jpg

RIP to the deceased and condolences to his family.

Edited by evadgib

A true champion of the game. Played it well and his life was an inspiration to others. Hope schools in OZ talk about this man' life today. He came from a beautiful part of the world, Macksville.

Clarkie is also an inspirational young man, together with all those that supported Phil Hughes.

A lot on the radio, that share a brilliant life lost so early. A real tragedy.

I am from the UK and offer sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. I am also concerned for the bowler and his family because he will be most effected

Sean Abbott is totally devastated and is undergoing counselling. Phil Hughes family have been in touch with and are offering him support and encouragement. Lovely photo of pill Hughes sister giving Abbott a hug.
  • Like 2

A tragedy, a great loss to world cricket, so sad sad.png

Thank you for your brilliant contribution to test cricket

Thank you for providing entertainment in the English county championships.

You will be missed by many people.

RIP.....An admiring pom.

phillip-hughes-sum_3119597g.jpg

• Like 2

In the late 80's the poms introduced a nape protector to be added to military helmets as protection against bricks etc in an urban environment. I have no idea whether something similar could enhance a cricketers attire but here's what it looked like (minus the visor/wearer would be facing left):

DSCN2990_tm.jpg

RIP to the deceased and condolences to his family.

Jonathon Agnew was talking about such a thing on BBC radio yesterday. He said it had been trialled but batsmen didn't like it as they felt it restricted their head movement too much.

See also Phillip Hughes: How does cricket move on from batsman's death?

Former International Cricket Council president Jagmohan Dalmiya has called on the game's current administrators to work on upgrading the safety of helmets, which were only recently standardised.

However, Chris Taylor, a former England Under-19 international who now works as a cricket retailer, says it is impossible for a helmet to provide complete protection.

"Once the helmet starts trying to cover the neck as well, it's going to restrict your movement as a batsman," he said.

"You need to be able to move quickly so if it's restricting your head and your neck, we could get to the stage where you just wear full body armour because at the end of the day you can get a blow on your chest that can cause you serious problems."

_79357040_crickethelmets.jpg

Edited by 7by7

There has been a Social Media campaign (for want of a better term) to 'Put out your Bat'.

Just to place your Cricket Bat outside your home as a show of respect.

Even Goggle got on board ... thumbsup.gif

Google-putoutyourbats.jpg

I'll try and find a few other tributes ... there have been many.