Limes in concrete rings.

zlodnick

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's no secret that there will be an over supply of Limes sometime in the future just as there is going to be an over supply of mangos. I am not to worried about it as I had planned on value adding further down the track. We will be looking at processing fruit or making juice....or both and the less distance we have to pay to get it to our processing centre the better. We will be looking at export markets before we outlay the bucks. A small operator needs to look for the niche markets. But like I said, that's down the track away!

Dragon fruit are another product we are interested in...but not this year.

A friend of mine in Suratthani has planted about 10 rai with Durian. He says that when they produce he will make a small fortune by exporting them straight Singapore ???

• 8 months later...
On 31/1/2559 at 2:49 PM, JungleBiker said:

To the best of my knowledge, learned from someone more knowledgeable than me.. the primary reason for growing in the concrete rings is related to what Kickstart said in post #10. If the roots are not allowed to get moisture from above (irrgation or rain) or below (from the soil), the roots can be dried out sufficiently to induce a flush of flowers out of season (by allowing the soil to dry out and then irrigating). As Dr TreeLove said, you will need drainage in the rings (the drainage holes could be in the sides near to the base) to allow water out or the plants may be killed by waterlogging. You also need to separate the soil in the ring from the soil below. That might be done by plastic sheeting or concrete.

having just seen this thread,i can tell you a neighbour who has 2 pots outside his house,is only home on weekends sometimes,the lime trees are covered in fruit all the yr.round and are never watered unless it rains or my dog pisses on them.

today he has only been home 1day in the past 2weeks and there must be 20-30 limes on each tree.

we have a tree in our garden and the past 2yrs.have had nowt.

In some of the photos I see what appears to be signs of 'citrus leaf miner', a common citrus insect pest with Asia origin.
BSJ and  Kwaibah . You may want to consider implementing IPM to minimize damage:

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r107303211.html

http://tastylandscape.com/2013/06/20/citrus-leafminer-diagnosis-and-treatment/

Edited by drtreelove