Wasp ? Hornet ?

seedy

Anyone know what this nest is made by ? In a tree beside our porch, they never bother us, just want to learn more about them. Species, what they eat, etc.

Size is about two footballs (soccer balls for us across the pond)

Thanks

post-81192-0-92074300-1417077800_thumb.j

Do they have a yellow or orange ring around the end of them? If so, it's definetly a hornets nest.

Orange band around the abdomen.

Any idea which species - as said, they do not come near the porch or house. Nest about 3 meters up in the tree.

A stay clear, also from me. Can be VERY agressive and attack, can sting multiple times, hurts first a little, then swells up and gives you pain and discomfort for about 3-4 days; i dont know what happens to someone who happens to be allergic...

Got stung a few times already, once 4-5 times in one attack (hand,forehead) while standing on a ladder on our balcony checking the compressor from the air. The pain from the sting is lesser than from a bee but the following days are not nice.

Told a nurse friend about it who also sold us health and accident insurances, he told me next time i should go to the hospital for treatment, it would be covered by my accident insurance, he was actually scolding me for missing out on a few thousand ฿ pain and suffering money...

He also said he have seen some real bad cases with 100+ stings, inpatient of course...

They'll carry on minding their own business, but if disturbed they can be dangerous. If you have any children around, I suggest you get it removed.

They can be dangerous. A young boy and an elephant have been killed this year by them that I know of. Yeah, and elephant! But a swarm of large wasps can do a lot of damage. If you ever drive south of Lamphun on highway 11, about a kilometer north of Maeta is a vendor that sells nests as curiosities. Yeah, bigger than an ottoman. Some, much bigger.

Edited by connda

I know that there are a few species, but the really scary one is this one. Thais call it "Dtor Hua". . Lesser Banded Wasp. I know about this one because I was attacked on a golf course once after sticking my head into a nest. They are extremely aggressive and they go for your head. I suffered over a dozen stings to my head and face.

Get rid of this nest, that's my advice. Pest control. Don't mess with them unless you know what you're doing.

• Like 1

They'll carry on minding their own business, but if disturbed they can be dangerous. If you have any children around, I suggest you get it removed.

anybody that has been stung will know these HORNETS are very dangerous,i am one who felt the full might of one of these luckily i had anti-istamine tabs.you do need to get rid of it tonight.there should be some locals who will burn the nest and all that stays,you need to close all windows and doors,all lights must be out,and warn any neighbours nearby to do the same.

Move the nest pronto, get an expert to do it and also make sure your property is fumigated to clear any survivors there may be.

Believe you me if these creatures are upset you would be in mortal danger.

Run .... Run away !!!!!

del shannon 1961.

there has been 2 the last month or so not more than 200yds from us.oh no you cant ged rid of them they will bring you luck.

yes i said if they sting me you will get bad luck.both are now gone,one burnt to a crisp and the tuther they all left,so i told the owner of the house she must be wicked,that didnt amuse her at all.

• Like 1