Don Muang

mumbojumbo

Could someone explain to me the new and old airports, if and when the new becomes operational. Originally, the new was going to be international, and Don Muang domestic. They were talking about having a sky train in between. A news item says Don M might become a market. Is the new one going to cover both, which would be good??? :o

Could someone explain to me the new and old airports, if and when the new becomes operational. Originally, the new was going to be international, and Don Muang domestic. They were talking about having a sky train in between. A news item says Don M might become a market. Is the new one going to cover both, which would be good??? :o

Who really knows, my current understanding is that 'some' domestic flights will move to Suvarnabhumi mid September with everything else moving on the 29th.

The old airport will become 'something else' at this time.

Better answers will be available at the start of November :D

Could someone explain to me the new and old airports, if and when the new becomes operational.
The simple truth is that at the moment, nobody knows.

Keep reading the “Thailand Travel Forum” for the latest developments, and in particular look out for the posts of flightcrew1, who has access to inside information.

---------------

Maestro

The simple truth is that at the moment, nobody knows.

I would somewhat agree although to clarify; there is a clear plan, but the confusion is whether the plan will be executed or not.

As far as my own conversations with AOT people, the plan is for all flights including all domestic and all international and all low cost airline to move to the new airport within a day or so of the 29th of Sept.

There was previously discussion about leaving low cost/domestic etc at Don Muang; however at least some of that was trying to find a solution for the low cost airlines like AirAsia who don't want or need to pay for many of the 'features' of a new airport, they just want a cheap price. This whole category didn't really exist in Asia back in 2000/01 when the airport plans (well, the first batch anyway) were laid out. To cater for them, it has finally been decided that the new airport will have an additional low cost terminal built out to the southern side of the airport with its own carpark, terminal and so on. The AOT is going to strip out some of the services they would otherwise provide to other airlines, in order to reduce landing costs for the low cost brigade. Low cost terminal will be complete in about 16 months I am told, but could be faster, depending on govt level of support and pushing.

So...for now the aim is to move the operation across to the new airport in its entirity. While I personally like the idea of running two airports specifically to help the low cost guys, and while that idea is still popular AFAIK with people like AirAsia (a decision made on price) it has been dropped, and everything will go to the new airport. Sadly, my personal opinion, being that I am not running the country or whatever is not considered that important. No one seems to be factoring in that I will now have to drive slightly longer to get to the new airport than the old. How selfish. What a lack of consultation. :o

It is possible that the new airport might not be ready; no doubt it will come down to the wire, but it is certainly possible that it gets delayed; for that to happen I suspect there would be a major intervention perhaps from the civil service, and would possibly have a major bearing on the election result (which is why the Sept deadline is so important).

my understanding is that the old don muang airport will be used for :

1. extension of exisiting airforce airbase to the north of don muang.

2. to handle government domestic/international flights (new government center is moving to chaeng wattana close by),

3. to handle private charters

2. to handle government domestic/international flights (new government center is moving to chaeng wattana close by),

That sounds sensible.

Any other arrangement will make travel in and out of Thailand a nightmare.

The TIT factor also has to be considered. :o

As far as my own conversations with AOT people, the plan is for all flights including all domestic and all international and all low cost airline to move to the new airport within a day or so of the 29th of Sept.
Whatever plan there was yesterday, the Prime Minister may change it tomorrow, and tomorrow’s plan may again be changed the day after tomorrow.

The latest I read was that the Prime Minister suggested that domestic flights should move from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi “two weeks ahead of the September 28 opening schedule”. This does not seem very practical and I doubt very much that it will happen.

---------------

Maestro

That sounds sensible.

Any other arrangement will make travel in and out of Thailand a nightmare.

The TIT factor also has to be considered. :o

Or option 4.....http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77937