where can i get stainless steel 316L?

jikwan

@jikwan, @h90

I work at a multinational steel pipes and components stockist/distributor in Thailand. (we're one of the biggest players worldwide)

I can get you 316/L plates or any other grade you desire. From an entire sheet to only a small cutting. You name it.

Grades more exotic than 316/L will need to be imported though, simply as there's no availability in Thailand. (At least not of reliable quality).

If you know exactly what you want (size, quantity, grade), please send me a PM and I can assist you with an offer.

I think all stainless is imported.

Nope at least 3 or 4 mills that I know of that produce stainless in Thailand

Some of the more exotics are imported ie your duplex and super duplexes for example

I buy a fair amount of stainless, and while I would love to be proven wrong, I think you are incorrect.

Edited by mogandave

As far as differentiating between 304 & 316:

Most sheet nowadays is marked with continuous "inkjet" type labeling showing the manufacturer, the material grade, and the heat number.

You can also buy inexpensive grade specific reagents that will change color to indicate grade.

How much and how thick?

The colour reagents are not a reliable or definitive way of identifying the grades, without subjecting a sample to a proper lab test, the only portable way which is accepted by industry is a PMI (positive material identification) which is a portable instrument which can identity the constituent elements and percentages in the alloy and based on the percentages primarily of nickel, chrome and a few others can determine the grade based on ASTM classifications of the various alloys.

Assuming they are fresh, the reagents are fine for differentiating between 304 & 316L, and they only cost about US$20.

What does a PMI cost?

souty,,

you sure yhour not a welding inspector,,,lol

good stuff mate,,

as for the OP, if your near samut prakarn, find a company called ,shape solids handling and process engineering,

there on google,

i was operations manager there, pop in there they make convayers ect for the food industy, they would sell you a bit of 316L

ask for mike the managing director

hey jake, if i cant get it closer to home i ll take a hike

down there. sounds like a dead cert. thanks

• Like 1

@jikwan, @h90

I work at a multinational steel pipes and components stockist/distributor in Thailand. (we're one of the biggest players worldwide)

I can get you 316/L plates or any other grade you desire. From an entire sheet to only a small cutting. You name it.

Grades more exotic than 316/L will need to be imported though, simply as there's no availability in Thailand. (At least not of reliable quality).

If you know exactly what you want (size, quantity, grade), please send me a PM and I can assist you with an offer.

Some of the more exotics are imported ie your duplex and super duplexes for example

The stainless steel base material is imported!

Indeed stainless and also duplex end products are produced here. Buy them monthly :)

As far as differentiating between 304 & 316:

Most sheet nowadays is marked with continuous "inkjet" type labeling showing the manufacturer, the material grade, and the heat number.

You can also buy inexpensive grade specific reagents that will change color to indicate grade.

How much and how thick?

The colour reagents are not a reliable or definitive way of identifying the grades, without subjecting a sample to a proper lab test, the only portable way which is accepted by industry is a PMI (positive material identification) which is a portable instrument which can identity the constituent elements and percentages in the alloy and based on the percentages primarily of nickel, chrome and a few others can determine the grade based on ASTM classifications of the various alloys.

This is indeed the only way which is acceptable in the industry.

Actually, all mills producing a stainless product will conduct the PMI test already, which is mentioned on the mill test certificate. You only need to use material which is really coming from that (reliable) mill.

Doing it again in Thailand is no problem, only you will be asked a minimum charge usually. Or you should find a friendly guy who will do it for you for free.

If you're testing many pieces, it's only 5 USD per tested point. (1 point per piece is sufficient )

souty,,

you sure yhour not a welding inspector,,,lol

good stuff mate,,

as for the OP, if your near samut prakarn, find a company called ,shape solids handling and process engineering,

there on google,

i was operations manager there, pop in there they make convayers ect for the food industy, they would sell you a bit of 316L

ask for mike the managing director

Jake,

In another life, many years ago my original schooling was in physical metallurgy, AKA materials science, these days, there is a lot of stuff I have forgotten, but still do know my way around WPS/PQR/WQT :D

• Like 1

@jikwan, @h90

The stainless steel base material is imported!

Indeed stainless and also duplex end products are produced here. Buy them monthly smile.png

Who is making sheet or bar from ingot here?

if you are selecting 316L for the corrosion resistance alone and not strength the are other non-ferrous materials that can be considered and that are more easily obtained...most industrial water treatment plant that I'm used to working around doesn't have a lot of stainless steel, mostly plastic like PVC, GRP and etc...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

if you are selecting 316L for the corrosion resistance alone and not strength the are other non-ferrous materials that can be considered and that are more easily obtained...most industrial water treatment plant that I'm used to working around doesn't have a lot of stainless steel, mostly plastic like PVC, GRP and etc...

device im making is for making hydrogen gas.has to use metal. no one

has ever had success using any other material. i hear titanium is the best

but its expensive

i need to avoid the leaching of impurities from the metal as much as poss

someone is sending me some 304 plates. good enough

When I want scrap sheet metal I go to a shop that makes things from sheet metal. I mean the type of shop that makes one-off things for industry such as commercial range hoods or anything else that's needed.

They always have scraps and they always know what it is. Sometimes if it isn't a really big piece they just give it to me, but usually they sell it by weight. It never costs very much.

device im making is for making hydrogen gas.has to use metal. no one

has ever had success using any other material. i hear titanium is the best

but its expensive

i need to avoid the leaching of impurities from the metal as much as poss

someone is sending me some 304 plates. good enough

What are temperatures are involved in your process ? You would expect only to see possible leaching at very high temperatures, if your looking for very good cleanness would suggest you do a pickle and passivation on your stainless, which will remove any surface contamination and "beef up" the protective chrome oxide layer on your material

I suspect your biggest problem is keeping things gas tight seeing as your using hydrogen

hi southy,

device im making produces gas from water

2 plates. posative wire (from battery/mains) is connected

to 1 plate, the neg to the other plate. put both into a

container of water and they produce hydrogen and oxygen gas

if you want much more gas bring the plates very close together

if you want more than that increase the volts/amps. can get it so that

it billows gas (50 liters per min+) thats when the plates get hot

i want moderate amount--the plates would only get warm

put a lid on the container with an outlet pipe---you can then

direct the gas to wherever you like. some mechanics can run

their cars on this gas. exclusively-no petrol added

anyway, the gas from theplates goes into another sealed container

filled with water, it rises through the water to the surface.that gas

is cleaned-any impurities should remain in that water

this gas can be added to your drinking water and theres many

reports of it being beneficial to your health

collodial silver is made in the same way, instead of using ss youd

use pure silver. but with the silver water- you drink it without

'cleaning' it. it contains nano silver and these particles give health benefits

if low grade ss is used the plates get dirty and the water gets dirty too

copper plates produce a lot of gas but the plates get covered with gunk

and water is very dirty within minutes

When I want scrap sheet metal I go to a shop that makes things from sheet metal. I mean the type of shop that makes one-off things for industry such as commercial range hoods or anything else that's needed.

They always have scraps and they always know what it is. Sometimes if it isn't a really big piece they just give it to me, but usually they sell it by weight. It never costs very much.

brilliant idea

I agree absolutely...and probably the most useful post in this tread...

it's been years since I did any DIY and I was a Volkwagen freak back in the 70s...I could wander around a VW breaker's yard just looking at stuff all afternoon... wanted to have a rebuilt long block available to pop into my '66 van when needed..but those were poverty days and I never had a garage available to keep it in...too busy surfin'...

(tutsi! what's this greasy piece of junk doin' in our living room??!!...' 'aw, if I leave it outside it will get stolen...' lowlife, low rent

Venice, CA but just a couple of blocks from the beach...)

right on, NeverSure...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

hi southy,

device im making produces gas from water

2 plates. posative wire (from battery/mains) is connected

to 1 plate, the neg to the other plate. put both into a

container of water and they produce hydrogen and oxygen gas

if you want much more gas bring the plates very close together

if you want more than that increase the volts/amps. can get it so that

it billows gas (50 liters per min+) thats when the plates get hot

i want moderate amount--the plates would only get warm

put a lid on the container with an outlet pipe---you can then

direct the gas to wherever you like. some mechanics can run

their cars on this gas. exclusively-no petrol added

anyway, the gas from theplates goes into another sealed container

filled with water, it rises through the water to the surface.that gas

is cleaned-any impurities should remain in that water

this gas can be added to your drinking water and theres many

reports of it being beneficial to your health

collodial silver is made in the same way, instead of using ss youd

use pure silver. but with the silver water- you drink it without

'cleaning' it. it contains nano silver and these particles give health benefits

if low grade ss is used the plates get dirty and the water gets dirty too

copper plates produce a lot of gas but the plates get covered with gunk

and water is very dirty within minutes

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=548&q=hho+wet+cell&oq=hho+wet&gs_l=img.1.0.0l3j0i24l3.1680.5597.0.10792.7.7.0.0.0.0.791.1379.5-1j1.2.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.58.img..5.2.1379.Bey_RfB4DLc

http://www.naturalnews.com/038579_colloidal_silver_healing_water.html

What your doing is based on a high school chemistry experiment, which has practical application in various forms as impressed current cathodic protection, electro-plating and hydrogen production, nothing new here

Re your comment about high quality stainless and leaching, this would not be leaching that's occurring, it would be an anodic process going on because stainless is an alloy made up of multiple phases/elements, some of which are more anodic/cathodic to others, it not really to do with quality as such, titanium is better as its less of an alloy ie commercial Ti is closer to its elemental form, therefore less anodes/cathodes, not considering cost, the ideal materials would be gold or platinum for this application

No going to comment on the "health benefits" as personally would think this sits in the category of tinfoil hattery :lol:

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

yeah well one day i shall read a thread "southpeel lays dying

in hospital suffering from multiple maladies"

off i go to pay my last respects and burst into your room.

strong, muscular, eyes sparkling--exuding health and vitality

youll know its me by the foil trilby i ll be wearingbiggrin.png

• Like 1

yeah well one day i shall read a thread "southpeel lays dying

in hospital suffering from multiple maladies"

off i go to pay my last respects and burst into your room.

strong, muscular, eyes sparkling--exuding health and vitality

youll know its me by the foil trilby i ll be wearingbiggrin.png

Uncle Soutie will not be lying in a hospital bed suffering from multiple maladies, he intends to go out with a "bang" and I don't mean the fire arm variety of bang either :D