Alternative Retirement Destination?

moonseeker

I live in Florida. Visiting Thai tourists have commented to me that things are more organized here compared to Thailand. I concur. The infrastructure is good, weather is really good and Florida does not have a State income tax. It is my opinion, Florida is a viable option.

• Like 2

Taking in account the monthly budget you have and the languages you speak, only 1 country would come up in my mind, and that is Portugal.

Very friendly population, good deals to be done on real estate currently, clean beaches and oceans and favorable weather at least 6 months a year at the time that the weather is less favorable in Thailand.

So why can't iwait to get out of here ?

I hate this place and everything in it eg:

the ex Prime Minister is now in jail, it

says a lot for the country, corruption,

high taxes, mindblowing beaurocracy,

the country is going broke, one new

clever way to get more money is to fine

people (as recently a group of brit ex pats

were fined for playing bingo without a licence)

This place is joke, can't wait to leave,

• Like 1

Taking in account the monthly budget you have and the languages you speak, only 1 country would come up in my mind, and that is Portugal.

Very friendly population, good deals to be done on real estate currently, clean beaches and oceans and favorable weather at least 6 months a year at the time that the weather is less favorable in Thailand.

the country is going broke,

The Irony is that many of the countries mentioned in this thread, including Portugal, are actually broke biggrin.png

• Like 2

the country is going broke,

The Irony is that many of the countries mentioned in this thread, including Portugal, are actually broke biggrin.png

Not only broke, but most have the exact same issues....or worse.

If you speak good Portuguese and Spanish, my best advice, by my personal and direct experience of many years in those countries, will be Mexico or Brazil. Mexico at this moment still less expensive than Brazil, specially in small provinces. In Mexico, the best option and beaches are situated on the east coast, south of Cancun, called Riviera Maya. Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Island will be perfect beach spots, safe, clean, and cheap... just one hour driving to Cancun, and one hour flight to Havana, Cuba or Puerto Rico. Do not need more than $3000/month in total expenses to have a very confi life in Mexico or Brazil. Because for foreigners is easy to have access to cultured people in those countries, is also easy to meet English and French speakers.

In Brazil, many options. Close to Rio de Janeiro, small beach spots like Cabo Frio, Buzios, Angra dos Reis or small beach spots close to Salvador, in Bahia State. Brazil real estate prices increases in the last 5 years.

If you are single, Mexican and Brazilian women are very friendly with foreigners, and it is very easy to make a lot of friends in short time. If you need connections in Mexico or Brazil, let me know.

My favorite place if I will move from Thailand, will be the East Mexican coast, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen...to spend weekends in Cuba and Puerto Rico few times a year. The west coast of Mexico is where all the violence is happenning.

Good morning Umbanda and all. Thank you for the positive info. It is a tough decision to move away once more at a certain age. But like many others, I am becoming more and more negative and bitter here. Just can't adjust to the country/culture Thailand has become....And I won't end like so many here pretending all is paradise.

I am very grateful to anybody contributing to this move and right now I am 75% Mexico and 25% Portugal. I have lived & loved in NE Brazil for 5 yrs. in the 90's and left because of crime & cost. Still miss the place, so.

The Yucatan seems to tick most of my boxes. Hot, clean sea, holiday-feeling, but option to settle in a not so touristy place, exotic, great culture, westernized and most goods available, healthcare, near other great destinations etc. etc.

I hope to make a first trip there begin of 2015. If anybody has some specific spots, areas, towns that are a MUST-VISIT, kindly post them. I used to travel a lot, but this time feel a bit apprehensive starting on this adventure. But I am serious, have already sold most of my properties here and starting to learn Spanish.

To remind: Beach, clear waters for snorkeling & diving, affordable home near beach, keeping dogs and other animals, nature, internet, healthcare and good shopping within 25 miles.

I am dreaming of a large open home, hacienda type.Hopefully don't have to spend more than 3-400K $. I am an all-rounder and can resolve most problems that present themselves, learned that in various countries but mostly during a very busy and active life here in Thailand.

I would move to FL anytime, lived there too for several years, but major tax consequences prohibit this, as I am not US citizen.

Thank you all and have a nice Sunday. wai2.gif MS>

• Like 2

I live in Florida. Visiting Thai tourists have commented to me that things are more organized here compared to Thailand. I concur. The infrastructure is good, weather is really good and Florida does not have a State income tax. It is my opinion, Florida is a viable option.

New South Florida condo unit with 1,000 square feet will come with an average monthly maintenance bill of $760 – and a bill of $690 on a median basis - Generally, a mainland condo project in South Florida will charge a monthly maintenance fee between 50 and 60 cents per square foot. On the barrier island, the monthly maintenance fee is typically between 70 and 80 cents per square foot. Condominium associations collect maintenance fees – typically on a monthly basis – from unit owners based on the square footage of their respective condos. The maintenance fees, which are set by a condo project’s board of directors as part of an annual budget, are collected from unit owners and used to pay for security, management, upkeep, amenities, insurance and property taxes.

http://therealdeal.com/miami/blog/2014/04/29/a-look-at-south-florida-condo-maintenance-costs/

So 1000 sq foot Florida condo maintenance fee about 25,000 baht.

My new 2000 sq foot home Thailand including electricity, water, trash pick up and dog food costs around 20,000 baht.

New South Florida condo unit with 1,000 square feet will come with an average monthly maintenance bill of $760 – and a bill of $690 on a median basis - Generally, a mainland condo project in South Florida will charge a monthly maintenance fee between 50 and 60 cents per square foot. On the barrier island, the monthly maintenance fee is typically between 70 and 80 cents per square foot. Condominium associations collect maintenance fees – typically on a monthly basis – from unit owners based on the square footage of their respective condos. The maintenance fees, which are set by a condo project’s board of directors as part of an annual budget, are collected from unit owners and used to pay for security, management, upkeep, amenities, insurance and property taxes.

http://therealdeal.com/miami/blog/2014/04/29/a-look-at-south-florida-condo-maintenance-costs/

My new 2000 sq foot home Thailand including electricity, water, trash pick up and dog food costs around 20,000 baht.

That might be the monthly maint fee for some new condos in that area, but it's quite high. My friends is about $500/mo for a 1,000+ SF condo in Naples. He purchased it last year for about 250k USD. Right near the beach, which is absolutely gorgeous. Unlike where I live near Pattaya and literally can't swim in the ocean.

If you speak good Portuguese and Spanish, my best advice, by my personal and direct experience of many years in those countries, will be Mexico or Brazil. Mexico at this moment still less expensive than Brazil, specially in small provinces. In Mexico, the best option and beaches are situated on the east coast, south of Cancun, called Riviera Maya. Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Island will be perfect beach spots, safe, clean, and cheap... just one hour driving to Cancun, and one hour flight to Havana, Cuba or Puerto Rico. Do not need more than $3000/month in total expenses to have a very confi life in Mexico or Brazil. Because for foreigners is easy to have access to cultured people in those countries, is also easy to meet English and French speakers.

In Brazil, many options. Close to Rio de Janeiro, small beach spots like Cabo Frio, Buzios, Angra dos Reis or small beach spots close to Salvador, in Bahia State. Brazil real estate prices increases in the last 5 years.

If you are single, Mexican and Brazilian women are very friendly with foreigners, and it is very easy to make a lot of friends in short time. If you need connections in Mexico or Brazil, let me know.

My favorite place if I will move from Thailand, will be the East Mexican coast, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen...to spend weekends in Cuba and Puerto Rico few times a year. The west coast of Mexico is where all the violence is happenning.

Good morning Umbanda and all. Thank you for the positive info. It is a tough decision to move away once more at a certain age. But like many others, I am becoming more and more negative and bitter here. Just can't adjust to the country/culture Thailand has become....And I won't end like so many here pretending all is paradise.

I am very grateful to anybody contributing to this move and right now I am 75% Mexico and 25% Portugal. I have lived & loved in NE Brazil for 5 yrs. in the 90's and left because of crime & cost. Still miss the place, so.

The Yucatan seems to tick most of my boxes. Hot, clean sea, holiday-feeling, but option to settle in a not so touristy place, exotic, great culture, westernized and most goods available, healthcare, near other great destinations etc. etc.

I hope to make a first trip there begin of 2015. If anybody has some specific spots, areas, towns that are a MUST-VISIT, kindly post them. I used to travel a lot, but this time feel a bit apprehensive starting on this adventure. But I am serious, have already sold most of my properties here and starting to learn Spanish.

To remind: Beach, clear waters for snorkeling & diving, affordable home near beach, keeping dogs and other animals, nature, internet, healthcare and good shopping within 25 miles.

I am dreaming of a large open home, hacienda type.Hopefully don't have to spend more than 3-400K $. I am an all-rounder and can resolve most problems that present themselves, learned that in various countries but mostly during a very busy and active life here in Thailand.

I would move to FL anytime, lived there too for several years, but major tax consequences prohibit this, as I am not US citizen.

Thank you all and have a nice Sunday. wai2.gif MS>

I've used this site many times for info on Mexico:

http://www.mexicomike.com/index.html

Merida is ranked very highly as a nice place to live. I've been there and it's a nice Mexican town. Playa del Carmen is a very international town, but very touristy. That whole area has some fantastically beautiful beaches.

A couple of interesting articles:

http://www.munknee.com/the-10-best-places-to-retire-in-mexico/

http://www.expatexchange.com/ctryguide/4392/77/Mexico/Expat-Mexico-5-Best-Places-to-Live-in-Mexico

http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/livable-communities/info-07-2010/best-places-retire-abroad-mexico-puerto-vallarta.html

That might be the monthly maint fee for some new condos in that area, but it's quite high. My friends is about $500/mo for a 1,000+ SF condo in Naples. He purchased it last year for about 250k USD. Right near the beach, which is absolutely gorgeous. Unlike where I live near Pattaya and literally can't swim in the ocean.

I lived in Florida near Naples; my condo maintenance fee was also around 16.500 baht ($500). I lived in a condo in Rayong total rent/utilities and maintenance fee with all the amenities for 16,500 baht. I think it's fair to say that total living expenses; condo payment, maint and utilities are the same as the maintenance fee alone in Florida.

The big difference to me is transportation. I don't need a car in Thailand. Public transportation is great and so is the availability of taxis to go anywhere at any time of the night and day. Florida has a lot of racial problems and the last year I was there my home got hit with 4 hurricanes. There are major tax advantages in Florida for Americans and that's why OJ used to live there.

Florida is hard to beat for an old retired couple but I find so many old people depressing even the bag boys at Publix (the grocery store chain) are ancient. And old folks on the beach is visually polluting especially the European old gents in speedos.

If one is married and don't play around Florida might be ideal.

My first trip to Florida was in 1955 and I moved there the first time in 1980 so I know the place pretty well. East coast is younger and has colder water and some surf and the West coast has warmer water cheaper housing and lots of old folks.

The keys have one road in and out (in case of a hurricane). Cuba is 90 miles away and you can sail there if you know the right people.

Florida has a lot of Brits and Canadians but most go home half the year thinking the summers are too hot and for health care. It's not but that hoax has been perpetrated on snow birds since time immemorial in Florida.

Florida is a lot like Thailand with housing far more expensive and women with blue hair. Florida has a lot more crime than Thailand but if you stay in the right places you can avoid it. Roads? I drive a motorcycle locally in Thailand and I sold my motorcycle in Florida. I saw too many motorcycle accidents in Florida because the old people can't turn their necks around to see you.

Like I said before, married Florida is a good choice; single no way.

The time to buy in Florida was when the real estate market crashed a few years ago. Now prices are back up.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

A place that hasn't been mentioned yet is Tenerife.

I have a few friends who have made it their second home, and who have visited Thailand several times already, and they all say living cost is lower than Thailand.

It belongs to Spain but has it's own administration as is considered to have the best climate in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife

• Like 1

We've had this argument before. Rayong ain't Naples. And I'm sure my buddies condo is a tad bit nicer than ones in Rayong. Night and day difference, as you well know.

100% agree with the rest of your post about Florida. Though my uncle said he never had so much fun as an older single guy. At 70, he'd set a minimum age limit of 50. And had more offers than he could ever imagine. He lived a great life.

Public transport here in Pattaya is horrible if you live outside the central area a bit. I'm near the Ambassador. To get a baht bus back after midnight is not cheap. And you're still in the back of an open air pickup truck. No fun. Getting one from here to Pattaya is also very difficult. You basically have to know somebody and even then, availability is iffy.

A place that hasn't been mentioned yet is Tenerife.

I have a few friends who have made it their second home, and who have visited Thailand several times already, and they all say living cost is lower than Thailand.

It belongs to Spain but has it's own administration as is considered to have the best climate in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife

Was there about a year ago,looking and thinking,but no,not for me. Just seemed like life on the edge,of the ocean as well. Too many people hanging on to life by their bootlaces,just cheap beer places with no atmosphere

We've had this argument before. Rayong ain't Naples. And I'm sure my buddies condo is a tad bit nicer than ones in Rayong. Night and day difference, as you well know.

100% agree with the rest of your post about Florida. Though my uncle said he never had so much fun as an older single guy. At 70, he'd set a minimum age limit of 50. And had more offers than he could ever imagine. He lived a great life.

Public transport here in Pattaya is horrible if you live outside the central area a bit. I'm near the Ambassador. To get a baht bus back after midnight is not cheap. And you're still in the back of an open air pickup truck. No fun. Getting one from here to Pattaya is also very difficult. You basically have to know somebody and even then, availability is iffy.

There is Naples and Marco Island. Naples is one of the wealthiest cities in the United States, with the sixth highest per capita income in America, and the second highest proportion of millionaires per capita in the US. Real estate is among the most expensive in the country, with houses for sale in excess of $40 million. You are right Rayong is not Naples/Marco Island.

I should probably explain what I meant by transportation. Locally I ride a motorcycle further than that I take Nakhon Chai air buses. If I need a taxi I call up a friend who has a taxi.

Most towns in Thailand have tuk tuks, song taus, motorcycle taxis and buses. I speak Thai and I get a few phone numbers - never a problem. Then again I can't remember the last time I was out after midnight. I'm real old. I poop out around 10 PM at the latest.

• Like 1

I suggest you all WAKE_UPcoffee1.gif to the coming ASEAN reality, and begin looking for a more full-time alternative to LOS. Singhapore is spearheading the transition to AEC, with Bangkok as the central (geographical) hub location.

After the BIG (temporary) dip, the Thai economy will (afterwards) skyrocket to cost of living levels equal to Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo. Don't believe it will happen in LOS? Keep dreaming, and good luck, Amigos.

• Like 2

I suggest you all WAKE_UPcoffee1.gif to the coming ASEAN reality, and begin looking for a more full-time alternative to LOS. Singhapore is spearheading the transition to AEC, with Bangkok as the central (geographical) hub location.

After the BIG (temporary) dip, the Thai economy will (afterwards) skyrocket to cost of living levels equal to Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo. Don't believe it will happen in LOS? Keep dreaming, and good luck, Amigos.

You mean I should cancel the sale of my house, as it will double in price in the next few years?

Why do you think the Thai economy will sky rocket, when other members like Indonesia and Vietnam are much more attractive to do business. I take it that you have noticed the current outflow from major foreign businesses to these countries already, which will only be accelerated once Asean is established.

• Like 1

Just for Farang or are the Thais going to pay these increased prices also? Is this going to happen without an equivalent increase in productivity? I assume the minimum wage will also go up 1000%?

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

You mean I should cancel the sale of my house, as it will double in price in the next few years?

Why do you think the Thai economy will sky rocket, when other members like Indonesia and Vietnam are much more attractive to do business. I take it that you have noticed the current outflow from major foreign businesses to these countries already, which will only be accelerated once Asean is established.

One trifling matter that Vietnam will have to get a currency that is worth more than monopoly money.

San Diego

Sure...No doubts the best city in the US..and minutes from Mexico for "latin weekends"...but...with $8,000/month you are low mid class in California, and with $300,000 with luck ...will buy a small condo in a good area...or a medium house in a bad area. Better no talk about California women.....very friendly only when its are drunk...and if you drive a Porche.

The bargirl mentality is a global phenomenon, and not just restricted to Thailand. Welcome to California (the land giggle.giff fruits & nuts), especially if you drive a Porsche.

Just for Farang or are the Thais going to pay these increased prices also? Is this going to happen without an equivalent increase in productivity? I assume the minimum wage will also go up 1000%?

Unfortunately for the locals that logic does not always apply. For example in Bulgaria they joined the EU, got lots of money for new roads etc, prices went to German levels, but the locals were still paid pre-EU wages. Most Bulgarians now really regret joining -- but that is another topic. The point is that ASEAN will not drag Thai wages up to Singapore levels, only the prices ;)

Unfortunately for the locals that logic does not always apply. For example in Bulgaria they joined the EU, got lots of money for new roads etc, prices went to German levels, but the locals were still paid pre-EU wages. Most Bulgarians now really regret joining -- but that is another topic. The point is that ASEAN will not drag Thai wages up to Singapore levels, only the prices wink.png

OK we'll do it the long way. What will happen to land prices?

Unfortunately for the locals that logic does not always apply. For example in Bulgaria they joined the EU, got lots of money for new roads etc, prices went to German levels, but the locals were still paid pre-EU wages. Most Bulgarians now really regret joining -- but that is another topic. The point is that ASEAN will not drag Thai wages up to Singapore levels, only the prices wink.png

Land prices have risen considerably over the past 2 years. Compared to last year everybody seems to have simply added 1 million/Rai .

I know you always need a buyer to make a sale, but have you ever seen a Thai back down?

Land prices have risen considerably over the past 2 years. Compared to last year everybody seems to have simply added 1 million/Rai .

I know you always need a buyer to make a sale, but have you ever seen a Thai back down?

Land prices didn't come down after 1997, the prices from finished buildings came down

Yes they did when figured in my currency which is what I thought you were asking. One day 25 baht to the dollar and the next 45. So for me land prices almost cut in half.

Did they ask less Baht per Rai?

We are in Thailand and Thais make a living in Baht, not Dollar, Euro or Pounds.

Is the price of fuel dependent on what? Is the price of electricity dependent on what? Is the price of fertilizer dependent on what? I could go on but I think you get the idea. Thailand is not an island.

My salary is denominated in US dollars so when I buy something in Thailand I think in terms of dollars.

You asked me if the price of land came down. For me it did. Does the price of rice go up when the price of fuel and fertilizer goes up? Sure it does.

Thailand has very few natural resources that are not dependent on the price of the dollar.

It is what makes Thailand such an attractive place to retire. The cost of housing is a fraction of what it is in other countries. Food and many other things are the same or more expensive but the overwhelming difference in the cost of housing is what makes Thailand so affordable.

This thread no matter how boring is about what the dollar/pound/Euro will buy in Thailand or another country and how long that savings will last. If you can't keep up why not post a big picture of a person yawing and go to sleep.

Edited by thailiketoo

Did they ask less Baht per Rai?

We are in Thailand and Thais make a living in Baht, not Dollar, Euro or Pounds.

Is the price of fuel dependent on what? Is the price of electricity dependent on what? Is the price of fertilizer dependent on what? I could go on but I think you get the idea. Thailand is not an island.

My salary is denominated in US dollars so when I buy something in Thailand I think in terms of dollars.

You asked me if the price of land came down. For me it did. Does the price of rice go up when the price of fuel and fertilizer goes up? Sure it does.

Thailand has very few natural resources that are not dependant on the price of the dollar.

Original question fron Thaiiliketoo

What will happen to land prices?

End result after answering his question

2487173-1097535_clipart_sleepy_emoticon_

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1

One trifling matter that Vietnam will have to get a currency that is worth more than monopoly money.

OK!