Alternative Retirement Destination?

moonseeker

I am also in the same predicament. After 20 yrs in Thailand, places change and people change....not bad not good....just different. In South East Asia, nothing beats Thailand though. This last year I have been bouncing back and forth between Bali and Thailand on Surf trips....and I appreciate Bali but do not see the attraction apart from the Surf (which is way too crowded), after having contracted Chikungunya( which put me out of action for a few months) I do not care much for their medical facilities and extortionate prices, pollution, traffic etc.... Therefore I am also looking for a second home, tax friendly and Surf friendly....Costa Rica and Portugal were my top choices. S.Africa was a contender until I read more into it, shame really because it is a beautiful country. Funny, people speaking of Naples, Florida. I grew up there when we moved to the States, from '81-85...never went back but life was fantastic as a child back there. I think Sri Lanka and a few Sumatran Islands North of Nias will pick up in the coming years as a Surf/holiday destination. In regards to S. America, maybe Uruguay. Very interesting topic!

• Like 1

Now I don't go to the USA at all - not even for transit. They don't have a transit hall facility at airports -- you must actually enter USA to get the next flight - even if it's only a couple of hours, so immigration delays are a major factor in planning an itinerary. The US has become more of a police state than many countries I could mention.

The first time I went to the US I did so by accident on a flight from France to Mexico. As you say, I was hauled off the plane, made to stand in a queue with signs "do not stand beyond the yellow line", asked why I was coming to the US ("I'm not!"), and generally made to feel like a cross between the poor, huddled masses of Ellis Island and an Ebola-carrier.

With a couple of exceptions I've managed to avoid the US ever since, though annoyingly there are some places there I would like to visit but probably never will.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 2

In SE Asia, there has only been one other place apart from Phuket where I thought to myself "I could live here".

The Philippines had been kicked to the kerb decades ago for bad food, gun culture and dirtiness.

Imagine my surprise when I was in the largest town on the island of Palawan, Puerto Princessa, and there wasn't any litter in the streets.

You could go out at night on your own and it felt safe. The people are very friendly and take a pride in their island and how it is relatively well run compared to the rest of the country.

The north end of the island, El Nido is well known for it's diving. There are beautiful beaches all over, the people are refreshingly nice and helpful, it's cheap and there are hardly any tourists.

Manilla is one hour away by air. What's not to like?

I have spent a lot of time in the RP over the years. If it wasnt for the dull food and taxation I would probably be living there now. Filpinos are infinitely easier to deal with than Thais. Not only because they can speak English and because they use Latin script (so even if you dont quite understand something you can still read it and pronounce it), but above all because they think like Westerners do, which is something that Thais just don't do and probably never will.

• Like 2

In SE Asia, there has only been one other place apart from Phuket where I thought to myself "I could live here".

The Philippines had been kicked to the kerb decades ago for bad food, gun culture and dirtiness.

Imagine my surprise when I was in the largest town on the island of Palawan, Puerto Princessa, and there wasn't any litter in the streets.

You could go out at night on your own and it felt safe. The people are very friendly and take a pride in their island and how it is relatively well run compared to the rest of the country.

The north end of the island, El Nido is well known for it's diving. There are beautiful beaches all over, the people are refreshingly nice and helpful, it's cheap and there are hardly any tourists.

Manilla is one hour away by air. What's not to like?

I have spent a lot of time in the RP over the years. If it wasnt for the dull food and taxation I would probably be living there now. Filpinos are infinitely easier to deal with than Thais. Not only because they can speak English and because they use Latin script (so even if you dont quite understand something you can still read it and pronounce it), but above all because they think like Westerners do, which is something that Thais just don't do and probably never will.

Why do all the Filipinos I know work in Thailand and tell me they could never go back home?

Why do all the Filipinos I know work in Thailand and tell me they could never go back home?

Probably because they don't have enough money to pay for their overstay.

No, the Filipinos I know all are working at jobs that pay much more than the equivalent jobs they could get in the Philippines. Thousands of Filipinos come to Thailand to work but almost no Thais go to the Philippines to work. Why? Language is the obvious one but also almost no one wants to live in the Philippines. Meet a lady from the Philippines and she wants to go to your country. Meet a lady from Thailand and she wants you to come to her country.

Just for Farang or are the Thais going to pay these increased prices also? Is this going to happen without an equivalent increase in productivity? I assume the minimum wage will also go up 1000%?

Unfortunately for the locals that logic does not always apply. For example in Bulgaria they joined the EU, got lots of money for new roads etc, prices went to German levels, but the locals were still paid pre-EU wages. Most Bulgarians now really regret joining -- but that is another topic. The point is that ASEAN will not drag Thai wages up to Singapore levels, only the prices wink.png

OK we'll do it the long way. What will happen to land prices?

Land prices have risen considerably over the past 2 years. Compared to last year everybody seems to have simply added 1 million/Rai .

I know you always need a buyer to make a sale, but have you ever seen a Thai back down?

Old adage...never buy anything after the age of 60

I suggest you all WAKE_UPcoffee1.gif to the coming ASEAN reality, and begin looking for a more full-time alternative to LOS. Singhapore is spearheading the transition to AEC, with Bangkok as the central (geographical) hub location.

After the BIG (temporary) dip, the Thai economy will (afterwards) skyrocket to cost of living levels equal to Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo. Don't believe it will happen in LOS? Keep dreaming, and good luck, Amigos.

You mean I should cancel the sale of my house, as it will double in price in the next few years?

Why do you think the Thai economy will sky rocket, when other members like Indonesia and Vietnam are much more attractive to do business. I take it that you have noticed the current outflow from major foreign businesses to these countries already, which will only be accelerated once Asean is established.

If you own a house, in a "community" (not a "barking" Soi) where most of your neighbors are Sino-Thai, that's near a major shopping mall & with easy access to an elevated toll road, then definitely hold, for the next 2-3 years, @ least. Capiche?coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

I suggest you all WAKE_UPcoffee1.gif to the coming ASEAN reality, and begin looking for a more full-time alternative to LOS. Singhapore is spearheading the transition to AEC, with Bangkok as the central (geographical) hub location.

After the BIG (temporary) dip, the Thai economy will (afterwards) skyrocket to cost of living levels equal to Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo. Don't believe it will happen in LOS? Keep dreaming, and good luck, Amigos.

You mean I should cancel the sale of my house, as it will double in price in the next few years?

Why do you think the Thai economy will sky rocket, when other members like Indonesia and Vietnam are much more attractive to do business. I take it that you have noticed the current outflow from major foreign businesses to these countries already, which will only be accelerated once Asean is established.

If you own a house, in a "community" (not a "barking" Soi) where most of your neighbors are Sino-Thai, that's near a major shopping mall & with easy access to an elevated toll road, then definitely hold, for the next 2-3 years, @ least. Capiche?coffee1.gif

Wanna invest in a property that, according to your own statement, will deliver big profits in the next 2-3 years?

Easy money while enjoying your coffee coffee1.gif . Capiche?

Edited by Anthony5

Old adage...never buy anything after the age of 60

=============================

Try telling that to the next cute little lady who's smiling sweetly at you wink.png

Off-topic, but appropriate. Why bother telling her/him giggle.gif anything at all. Just catch, pay the bar fine, and then release. Keep your "hard-earned" money in your own bank account; and not the account of the free-loading Thaiguy, who's perpetually hiding in the background of your gf's life, back home in Isaan. Let a word to the wise be sufficient,whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Just for Farang or are the Thais going to pay these increased prices also? Is this going to happen without an equivalent increase in productivity? I assume the minimum wage will also go up 1000%?

Duh? R u looking to learn some more "farang" lessons, in SEA, or what? Hmm? whistling.gif

Back to OP, I'm in a similar situation in that after 15 years here, it's time to scout for something new. I'm looking for pretty much the same as the OP, and the best two places I have come across is the Riviera Maya ( as discussed previously in this thread) and Mauritius. Mauritius ticks all the boxes except for the affordable home part, but for a bit over OP's budget, you can own as a foreigner for 500K. Mauritius is safe, warm, great diving and fishing, multi cultural, English is an official language though French is more commonly used, and is a couple hour flight away from Africa, a few hours from the UK, and a few hours from SE Asia via KL. I'm leaning towards the Maya Riviera myself, but until I go to both places, the jury is out.

I like to get an idea about the place from an expats point of view, so I look for forums about locations. This forum is mostly based around Playa Del Carmen, but also has links to various other areas in the Quintana Roo/Yuctatan area. http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/ For Mauritius, there's not as much info in their forums, but this one is decent http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=108

• Like 1

Back to OP, I'm in a similar situation in that after 15 years here, it's time to scout for something new. I'm looking for pretty much the same as the OP, and the best two places I have come across is the Riviera Maya ( as discussed previously in this thread) and Mauritius. Mauritius ticks all the boxes except for the affordable home part, but for a bit over OP's budget, you can own as a foreigner for 500K. Mauritius is safe, warm, great diving and fishing, multi cultural, English is an official language though French is more commonly used, and is a couple hour flight away from Africa, a few hours from the UK, and a few hours from SE Asia via KL. I'm leaning towards the Maya Riviera myself, but until I go to both places, the jury is out.

I like to get an idea about the place from an expats point of view, so I look for forums about locations. This forum is mostly based around Playa Del Carmen, but also has links to various other areas in the Quintana Roo/Yuctatan area. http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/ For Mauritius, there's not as much info in their forums, but this one is decent http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=108

I'm surprised that after 15 years here in Phuket you never grew roots of any kind.

For me, Phuket has changed drastically since I first started staying here, but, for better, or worse, it has become my home. Too many people I know and many memories here, to be able to abandon this place and go somewhere as a complete newbie.

Duh? R u looking to learn some more "farang" lessons, in SEA, or what? Hmm? whistling.gif

I have no idea what you are talking about. What do you expect will happen to land and housing prices as a result of the AEC?

I have no idea what you are talking about. What do you expect will happen to land and housing prices as a result of the AEC?

Property in the capital and major business centers will rise in price, and landowners upcountry will be too stupid to realize the reason for the price rise and consider that their land also is worth more now, and will not find a buyer for that reason. After which they will rise the price further in accordance wih Thai logic.

as far as moving to another location one has to differentiate between people who's belongings fit in a backpack plus a carrier bag for their laptop and those who moved with a 40 foot high cube container loaded to its full capacity of 60m³.
whistling.gif

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that after 15 years here in Phuket you never grew roots of any kind.

For me, Phuket has changed drastically since I first started staying here, but, for better, or worse, it has become my home. Too many people I know and many memories here, to be able to abandon this place and go somewhere as a complete newbie.

Some people and their families want to see and live in other parts of the world :).

Mexico has lost its glow as a place to live, due to the kidnappings and drug wars, no one is safe from collertal damage in the latter and any foreigner can be seen as a easy target in the former.

Most of South America are fairly safe, if you stay out ofr local affairs and keep your nose cleaan but all of these areas have been reviewed quit nicely already..

One country that I almost retired to, instead of Thailand, was Bulgeria. I have not been there recently but it used to be one of the best kept secerts in the many places I had lived/worked. The weather is nothing to brag about. I never required living like a prince/king but do enjoy my comforts and a good variety of choice in food, wine, song and women. I have not heard much about the living conditions there recently, the contacts I have are natives and Bulgeria is all they know. If you live in the same area all/majority of your life you seem not to notice the changes or inconviences

Naam makes a valid point which reminds us that we are all different, but it's useful to share experiences to make eliminations easier. I'd go back to Spain if I was minded to move. I speak Spanish, I have friends there, it's more expensive than Thailand but cheaper than UK for renting or buying and the climate is good - maybe better than Thailand in that it has a real winter. ;)

I'd also be tempted to go back to Peru - same reasons, but flights are damned expensive. The point is that as an older someone gets the less capable he is to go somewhere newand start all over again, so I'm in the "going back to somewhere I know" category ;)

as far as moving to another location one has to differentiate between people who's belongings fit in a backpack plus a carrier bag for their laptop and those who moved with a 40 foot high cube container loaded to its full capacity of 60m³.

whistling.gif

What's so special about that? Imelda Marcos loaded that size of a container only with her shoes.

• Like 1

I'm still interested in Cuenca Ecuador even though I haven't even been to Ecuador. If I ever visit I think I think I'll wait for their new world class tram system to be finished because that's going to transform the place.

Dunno about Cuenca, but I liked Guayaquil -- if you must live in a city. ;) Salinas is a nice enough town nearby with easy access to beaches. Public transport was ok. The beach towns further north have a bus service several times a day and are worth a visit. They use US$ - there is no ecuador currency. Prices are higher than here, but you can shop around for deals and I was pleasantly surprised quite a few times.

Property in the capital and major business centers will rise in price, and landowners upcountry will be too stupid to realize the reason for the price rise and consider that their land also is worth more now, and will not find a buyer for that reason. After which they will rise the price further in accordance wih Thai logic.

Why did you answer for native son? Are you the same guy?

Please next time add to your posts who is allowed to reply to it, maybe I answered as a favor to you, because it seems that the majority of posters isn't interested to answer to any of your posts.

Please next time add to your posts who is allowed to reply to it, maybe I answered as a favor to you, because it seems that the majority of posters isn't interested to answer to any of your posts.

Why? That is what the quote function is for. The question I was trying to have answered is this, "Duh? R u looking to learn some more "farang" lessons, in SEA, or what? Hmm? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1YLr" If you know what it means by all means give it a shot.

Why? That is what the quote function is for. The question I was trying to have answered is this, "Duh? R u looking to learn some more "farang" lessons, in SEA, or what? Hmm? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1YLr" If you know what it means by all means give it a shot.

That's strange because the post I quoted to read.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780486-alternative-retirement-destination/?p=8771490