Alternative Retirement Destination?

moonseeker

check out Sayulita, Nayarit, Mexico. I lived there in the winters for 20 years and then year round for 11 years and against my better judgement married and divorced a local girl........which forced me to leave. I bought land in Isla Colon, Bocas del Toro, Panama and like it there but my Thai wife is not willing to relocate there. Check out Raiatea, French Polynesia also. I have lived there and still own property there. It can be expensive but if you are not into nice cars, fancy homes, etc. and learn to live like the locals, it can be affordable. Crystal clear waters, great fishing, good food, beautiful women and nice weather. Sri Lanka fits most of your criteria but my own experience, on the east coast, with medical facilities wasn't favorable. Like stepping back in time. I have been told that the west coast is much different. I , like you, was/am looking for the same things with a surfing destination as one of my priorities and have purchased land in all of the above locations. I am now thinking of going to Ecuador to check things out as I have researched it fairly extensively for the last 4 years and it seems to fit my requirements. If I do like it I guess I will have to think of selling all my other properties as I am 67 now and by the time I make the move and settle in I doubt I will travel to the other destinations. Time to settle down I guess.........Been here in Thailand for 13 years and I have had about enough........ If you would like any further information about the above locations , or photos, pm me. Good luck with your search/adventure.

My cousin lives in a quiet suburb of Cuernavaca. She's been robbed (house breaking) 3 or 4 times and attacked in the street twice - once by a guy trying to steal her son!!!

Mexico is said to be a big open prison and the only way to live there is behind bars - to keep the bad guys out.

check out Sayulita, Nayarit, Mexico. I lived there in the winters for 20 years and then year round for 11 years and against my better judgement married and divorced a local girl........which forced me to leave. I bought land in Isla Colon, Bocas del Toro, Panama and like it there but my Thai wife is not willing to relocate there. Check out Raiatea, French Polynesia also. I have lived there and still own property there. It can be expensive but if you are not into nice cars, fancy homes, etc. and learn to live like the locals, it can be affordable. Crystal clear waters, great fishing, good food, beautiful women and nice weather. Sri Lanka fits most of your criteria but my own experience, on the east coast, with medical facilities wasn't favorable. Like stepping back in time. I have been told that the west coast is much different. I , like you, was/am looking for the same things with a surfing destination as one of my priorities and have purchased land in all of the above locations. I am now thinking of going to Ecuador to check things out as I have researched it fairly extensively for the last 4 years and it seems to fit my requirements. If I do like it I guess I will have to think of selling all my other properties as I am 67 now and by the time I make the move and settle in I doubt I will travel to the other destinations. Time to settle down I guess.........Been here in Thailand for 13 years and I have had about enough........ If you would like any further information about the above locations , or photos, pm me. Good luck with your search/adventure.

Great post! We spent about 4 days in Sayulita. Very interesting small town. Very much a surfers town. So had a bit too many young people bumming around. But beautiful beaches.

How was the "green" season in Bocas? We were there for about 4-5 days and the guest house owner said it was pretty tough. Constant rain. I know in Costa Rica, most leave the country during this time.

One of my best friends almost moved to Ecuador. Found a nice community right on the sea. But, didn't make the move.

I can only imagine French Polynesia would be amazing. But expensive!

As Mexico is one of the hot topics here I'll throw up a place which I certainly enjoyed when I was there but that was many, many years ago but google indicates its still popular and that is Mazatlan. I didnt even know about the place previously but had got off the Copper Canyon train without a plan and ended up there. Certainly the fishing reports are still good but no idea about current situation in the town. Anyone?

Great post! We spent about 4 days in Sayulita. Very interesting small town. Very much a surfers town. So had a bit too many young people bumming around. But beautiful beaches.

How was the "green" season in Bocas? We were there for about 4-5 days and the guest house owner said it was pretty tough. Constant rain. I know in Costa Rica, most leave the country during this time.

One of my best friends almost moved to Ecuador. Found a nice community right on the sea. But, didn't make the move.

I can only imagine French Polynesia would be amazing. But expensive!

Puerto Lobo in Ecuador was lovely about 12 years ago. Property cheaper than USA but infrastructure obviously not so good. You'd need a jeep of some sort to cope with the wet season on some of the unmade roads. The locals were great - no English at all but full of friendly helpfulness -- and most people who've been around already speak enough Spanish to get them started. ;)

• Like 1

Alright then last one from me and I havn't even been to this one but have a mate who claims its a great place to live and he's lived in many a land.

Noosa, Queensland.

No major drug problem, warm in winter, great beaches and fishing and by all accounts affordable living.

• Like 1

Great info from people who been there. Much appreciated. Mexico sounds interesting. Portugal, too. But I would prefer a Carrebean, all year warm-sea type setting. Please keep them coming. Nice to "talk" with friendly, intelligent & traveled TV-members. THX. MS>

I visited Tahiti about ten years ago and it's magic and not expensive. Great for a visit but not sure about living there - except maybe in 6-month stretches. No idea about long term visas but probably not hard to find out. Not much to do there and I got the impression that whilst the locals were very welcoming and friendly, they were like that 'cos they knew I wasn't staying long... if you know what I mean ;)

I visited Tahiti about ten years ago and it's magic and not expensive. Great for a visit but not sure about living there - except maybe in 6-month stretches. No idea about long term visas but probably not hard to find out. Not much to do there and I got the impression that whilst the locals were very welcoming and friendly, they were like that 'cos they knew I wasn't staying long... if you know what I mean wink.png

European citizens don't need a visa or residence permit as Tahiti is French territory.

I visited Tahiti about ten years ago and it's magic and not expensive. Great for a visit but not sure about living there - except maybe in 6-month stretches. No idea about long term visas but probably not hard to find out. Not much to do there and I got the impression that whilst the locals were very welcoming and friendly, they were like that 'cos they knew I wasn't staying long... if you know what I mean wink.png

European citizens don't need a visa or residence permit as Tahiti is French territory.

I gathered they didn't need a visitors visa for my UK passport, but I was unaware of the long term possibilities. How long did you stay ?

I gathered they didn't need a visitors visa for my UK passport, but I was unaware of the long term possibilities. How long did you stay ?

i only stayed there twice vacationing for a couple of weeks. as a EU passport holder you neither need a visa nor a residence permit for a long time stay in territories of another EU country no matter where they are located but you must register with the local authorities if you are planning a long term stay.

this applies besides Tahiti also to several French and Dutch territories in the Caribbean and South America.

800px-EU_OCT_and_OMR_map_en.png

• Like 1

Some might not know that some years ago Mexico greatly increased their financial requirements for retired expats. I was surprised. Seems to say not welcome anymore to those only with US social security income.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

In SE Asia, there has only been one other place apart from Phuket where I thought to myself "I could live here".

The Philippines had been kicked to the kerb decades ago for bad food, gun culture and dirtiness.

Imagine my surprise when I was in the largest town on the island of Palawan, Puerto Princessa, and there wasn't any litter in the streets.

You could go out at night on your own and it felt safe. The people are very friendly and take a pride in their island and how it is relatively well run compared to the rest of the country.

The north end of the island, El Nido is well known for it's diving. There are beautiful beaches all over, the people are refreshingly nice and helpful, it's cheap and there are hardly any tourists.

Manilla is one hour away by air. What's not to like?

• Like 1

Great info from people who been there. Much appreciated. Mexico sounds interesting. Portugal, too. But I would prefer a Carrebean, all year warm-sea type setting. Please keep them coming. Nice to "talk" with friendly, intelligent & traveled TV-members. THX. MS>

Mexico has some absolutely fantastic beaches. It's no longer a cheap destination and crime (and corruption) is a big concern. But, there are some great places to be.

IMHO, you need to be south of Ixtapa on the West coast for warm weather and water. Anywhere on the East coast is fantastic, with some really great places south of Cancun.

I second Portugal.

Worked in Lisboa one week per month during a year and my preferred get away became Carcavelhos, some 30 minutes by train, nice beach, plenty of good restaurants.

Travelled and worked a lot in other places to choose Thailand in the end.

After 13 years I have enough of this country, but found the love of my life, a one year young girl, now heading to 4. I have no authority whatsoever and doubt I could leave her behind ever.

Without her I would stay 6 months in Portugal, 3 months in Montreal (my preferred city nowadays) and 3 months somewhere else, maybe changing every year, Italy, Germany, Belgium, France

Nice. I spent several years living in Estoril/Cascais and loved it. Great food, great beaches, great weather.

NeverSure is correct! however, it was not a problem to get permanent residency but the restrictions placed on us foreigners (who had valid 10-year visas) after the sept11 terror attack. these 10-y visas where subject to a maximum stay of 6 months at a stretch, a restriction which did not bother us at all because we spent some months in our German home and of course did quite some travelling.

two years after sept11 the validity of our driver's licences were reduced to six months respectively months spent, id est whenever we reentered the states we had to apply for a new DL. in the meantime the insurance for our cars was automatically canceled and had to be applied again presenting the new licenses. these were rather small problems which could have been solved with the help of American friends... but

immigration started to act "strange" with questions such as "who are you, what are you and why are you?" (i exaggerate a bit wink.png )

carrying our income tax returns with us when travelling did not count... "we are the INS and not the IRS!" in december 2003 my wife flew to London to attend some sort of class reunion with colleagues who attended the same university. sobbing she called me from Atlanta that she missed her connecting flight to Orlando because she was held for 2 hours at immigration. when asked "what is the purpose of your visit" she answered "we are a retired couple and own since more than a decade a home in Florida where we spend 6-8 months a year." the answer was "owning a home in Florida is not valid reason to enter the Yewnighted States!"

three months later our home and the two homes i built for two German friends were sold.

Speaking of Naam, in a thread at least a year ago, someone asked where would be the best place in the world to live. Naam posted simply "The United States of America."

this is correct. we would have never left the States if the situation (as described above) had not changed. and if i'd tell my wife today "i've found a way to live undisturbed in the Greatest Nation on Earth" she'd be busy tomorrow morning to call real estate agents and moving companies in Thailand and google for homes for sale in the U.S. (one in Central Florida and one in West Virginia).
Pretty much the same reasons I have a home in Texas that I haven't visited for nigh on 6 years. There's only so many 'secondary inspections' I could take before I spat the dummy at the ignorant oik who repeatedly asked me 'But what do you do in Taiwan?'
  • Like 1

puerto vallarta.was quite nice when i visited, but that was some years back.

there is a cushy feeling in mexico i have never felt anywhere in asia. im from the states though so it could just be more familiar for me not sure.

anyhow pv and esp yelapa nearby wad quite affordable and could really see settling down there and being happy. no complaints about things while there like i get in asia, just a lot more relaxed, expats and visitors seemed more geniunely happy and content.

problem is your kind of stuck in that general location. if you wander out crime gets bad and you cant het stuff you need etc. not as easy to travel around and experience different places like in asia.

im considering returning to pv at some point to try for a year or so, after being in se asia for anout 3 years. i think it will be a nice change.

Taking in account the monthly budget you have and the languages you speak, only 1 country would come up in my mind, and that is Portugal.

Very friendly population, good deals to be done on real estate currently, clean beaches and oceans and favorable weather at least 6 months a year at the time that the weather is less favorable in Thailand.

Exactly how I feel too. Did a cost of living/income survey etc. for Portugal recently and have to say it is remarkably cheap ,even comparing with Thailand.

Lot of Yanks on this thread,so South America is cancelled out for Europeans,and as earlier poster quoted Thailand offers nothing any more and he wants a move before old and tired,same-same here

Get a bit phased too with military rule,and all the problems reported from other quarters concerning Thailand. Feel sad at leaving all the soi dogs I take care of,spaying,feeding etc.,but Ill probably take a couple with me,but still bit sad,hope they all manage through life without any cruelty

• Like 2

Very surprised how many nice, friendly & like-minded people are posting. Thailand might still be OK. for newcomers who can't compare to the good old times and people who are flexible enough to adjust to the major negative changes, but maybe it is just us getting too old.....But I really have to put on my very pinkest glasses every morning to not become desparate. Have a nice weekend. Yes, Portugal & Mexico will be investigated further. THX. MS>

Edited by moonseeker
  • Like 1

If you speak good Portuguese and Spanish, my best advice, by my personal and direct experience of many years in those countries, will be Mexico or Brazil. Mexico at this moment still less expensive than Brazil, specially in small provinces. In Mexico, the best option and beaches are situated on the east coast, south of Cancun, called Riviera Maya. Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Island will be perfect beach spots, safe, clean, and cheap... just one hour driving to Cancun, and one hour flight to Havana, Cuba or Puerto Rico. Do not need more than $3000/month in total expenses to have a very confi life in Mexico or Brazil. Because for foreigners is easy to have access to cultured people in those countries, is also easy to meet English and French speakers.

In Brazil, many options. Close to Rio de Janeiro, small beach spots like Cabo Frio, Buzios, Angra dos Reis or small beach spots close to Salvador, in Bahia State. Brazil real estate prices increases in the last 5 years.

If you are single, Mexican and Brazilian women are very friendly with foreigners, and it is very easy to make a lot of friends in short time. If you need connections in Mexico or Brazil, let me know.

My favorite place if I will move from Thailand, will be the East Mexican coast, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen...to spend weekends in Cuba and Puerto Rico few times a year. The west coast of Mexico is where all the violence is happenning.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

San Diego

Sure...No doubts the best city in the US..and minutes from Mexico for "latin weekends"...but...with $8,000/month you are low mid class in California, and with $300,000 with luck ...will buy a small condo in a good area...or a medium house in a bad area. Better no talk about California women.....very friendly only when its are drunk...and if you drive a Porche.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

If you speak good Portuguese and Spanish, my best advice, by my personal and direct experience of many years in those countries, will be Mexico or Brazil. Mexico at this moment still less expensive than Brazil, specially in small provinces. In Mexico, the best option and beaches are situated on the east coast, south of Cancun, called Riviera Maya. Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Island will be perfect beach spots, safe, clean, and cheap... just one hour driving to Cancun, and one hour flight to Havana, Cuba or Puerto Rico. Do not need more than $3000/month in total expenses to have a very confi life in Mexico or Brazil. Because for foreigners is easy to have access to cultured people in those countries, is also easy to meet English and French speakers.

In Brazil, many options. Close to Rio de Janeiro, small beach spots like Cabo Frio, Buzios, Angra dos Reis or small beach spots close to Salvador, in Bahia State. Brazil real estate prices increases in the last 5 years.

If you are single, Mexican and Brazilian women are very friendly with foreigners, and it is very easy to make a lot of friends in short time. If you need connections in Mexico or Brazil, let me know.

My favorite place if I will move from Thailand, will be the East Mexican coast, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen...to spend weekends in Cuba and Puerto Rico few times a year. The west coast of Mexico is where all the violence is happenning.

Several years ago we hired a taxi to take us from Rio to Buzios. I remember the driver being very anxious about getting there and back before dark. Something about bandits on the highway and he wouldn't drive that route after dark. This was in January or so and Buzios was dead. Nothing going on at all. But seemed like a happening place in the summer????

We've got a member here who rents a very nice 1BR condo in San Diego just a few hundred yards from the beach for about $1,100/month. Near Mission Bay. But I'd hate to be single there as an older guy. Much better here. smile.png