Australia Plus will no longer be available from Intelsat 19

joncl

A bit late into this debate.

It did go off on my BTV Cable service, but is now back on - same channel as it used to be, so presumably the cable providers in Pattaya have re-tuned to the new satellite.

I have to say that from the little bit that I've seen of Australia Plus, it is not as good as Aus network used to be. But having said that, Australian network was getting quite bad with their schedules getting clogged up with cooking, property and other reality shows....

Whatever happened to Jim Middleton???? He was my favourite news /documentary presenter.

When Australian Network closed Jimm Middleton took a redundancy package and left the ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-03/jim-middleton-signs-off-for-the-last-time/5716152

A bit late into this debate.

It did go off on my BTV Cable service, but is now back on - same channel as it used to be, so presumably the cable providers in Pattaya have re-tuned to the new satellite.

I have to say that from the little bit that I've seen of Australia Plus, it is not as good as Aus network used to be. But having said that, Australian network was getting quite bad with their schedules getting clogged up with cooking, property and other reality shows....

Whatever happened to Jim Middleton???? He was my favourite news /documentary presenter.

When Australian Network closed Jimm Middleton took a redundancy package and left the ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-03/jim-middleton-signs-off-for-the-last-time/5716152

That's so sad. He was one of the few truly professionals left - anywhere, including the BBC which has gone downhill so fast I can't keep pace.

I see Jim has been hired by Sky - good luck to him..

I also see he has a baby daughter..... he hasn't acquired a nice young Asian wife by any chance has he?

As I said, good luck to him...

Will27, I have investigated doing this with my 7.5ft dish and after consulting my SAT expert I am unable to move my dish any further than 160 deg east whereas INTELSAT 18 is located at 180 deg east.Also it is not possible to receive this SAT if you are located in the Chiang Mai area. I have now decided to move with the times and go over to IPTV via my internet where I am then able to receive 5 aussie channels and heaps more and same offered by Truevisions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

A sad day indeed when Australia + went black here in Thailand.

True Visions does appear to offer it as part of a paid cable package, but I cannot really justify that expense.

For those interested, here is the option that I now successfully use:

ABC iview ( http://iview.abc.net.au/ ) is a streaming service, and offers a catch up ability for a heap of shows including state news bulletins, current affairs and drama. Due to some obscure copyright reason it is only available to folks with an Australian ip address?!

I did a bit of research and found a VPN provider who had servers in Oz, and a fairly good rep on forums. They are called Vyper VPN and here’s a link –

https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/refer-a-friend/get-a-free-month?ar=ccffaqlp95ib7_1

(Disclosure. This link is coded to my account with them, and apparently if someone signs up after their free trial period, I get a free1 month sub extension. Otherwise I have no financial connection to them).

You need to d/load the applicable app – Windows, Mac OS, IOS and Android.

So here’s how I end up being able to watch ABC iview channels –

1. I signed up for a 1 month free trial with Vyper.
  2. They let you choose between 3 Oz locations – Syd, Mel & Perth, and you easily can do a ping check within their program as often as you want to see which one is currently the fastest.
  3. I connect to the fastest one, and then open ABC iview.
  4. I can then watch whatever program I want as a stream.
  5. This is optional – but I have a cable connecting my laptop to my TV so I can watch it on that bigger screen.
  6. As it works for me here in Jomtien, I went on to pay for a 12 month sub @ $80.00usd per year.

Things to note:

1. As with all VPN’s and proxies, you do lose some speed (around 10% in my case). So if the streamed shows stagger and struggle you may want to look for a faster ISP package, or forget the idea of continuing with a paid subscription.
  2. I maximize my speed by choosing :
  • the lowest encryption option they have (PPTP 128 bit)
  • by pausing all other ‘hungry’ programs, such as a torrent client, &
  • Using an adsl cable(cheap from an electronics store) from my router rather than wi-fi, as it seems to give slightly higher speed.

All the best with it, and have a great Christmas and 2015,

Cheers Nick

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Will27, I have investigated doing this with my 7.5ft dish and after consulting my SAT expert I am unable to move my dish any further than 160 deg east whereas INTELSAT 18 is located at 180 deg east.Also it is not possible to receive this SAT if you are located in the Chiang Mai area. I have now decided to move with the times and go over to IPTV via my internet where I am then able to receive 5 aussie channels and heaps more and same offered by Truevisions.

I'm just about the set up my 7 foot move dish again after some wind loading modifications.

I live about 70 Km from Mukdahan and looking at the Intelsat 18 footprint, I may be able to get Aus+ reception.

What's the consensus, Yes or No?

I seem to remember having a similar conversation over a year ago, but don't remember if it was Intelsat 18 or not.

Another question: Is Intelsat 18 below the horizon from Thailand? And, how do I check my location and the satellites location and know it's below the horizon? Excuse my ignorance.

Another question: Is Intelsat 18 below the horizon from Thailand? And, how do I check my location and the satellites location and know it's below the horizon? Excuse my ignorance.

There are MANY web services that will help you with the theoretical.

My favorites are:

SatBeams Satellite footprint, Provider, Channel and other Technical information

Choosing SatBeams "footprint", selecting a satellite, then tapping the MAP will usually

"pop up" EIRP and Recommended Dish Size, with dish pointing info in a side window.

LyngSat Satellite Provider, Channel and Technical information site

DishPointer Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps

But there's nothing like chatting with a neighbor who's already doing it with your birds of interest.

Intelsat 18 at 180.0°E, Info: SatBeams LyngSat

shows 1° Elevation from most of Thailand. Hope you live on a tall building or a tall mountain.

So no Australia Plus on True Visions in Bangkok eh?,,,,,,, not even on cable ?

I'm on TrueVisions cable in Bangkok...just checked at 10:00pm 2 Dec 14/a few minutes ago/before making this post and Australia Plus is still on....channel 170.

Edit: just went to the TrueVision website and Australia Plus in the channel lineup is asterisk coded saying on TrueVisions "cable" only, which I guess means it's not on TrueVisions satellite.

I guess for a new yearly contract TRUE can switch someone from satellite to cable feed.

There are MANY web services that will help you with the theoretical.

My favorites are:

SatBeams Satellite footprint, Provider, Channel and other Technical information

Choosing SatBeams "footprint", selecting a satellite, then tapping the MAP will usually

"pop up" EIRP and Recommended Dish Size, with dish pointing info in a side window.

LyngSat Satellite Provider, Channel and Technical information site

DishPointer Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps

But there's nothing like chatting with a neighbor who's already doing it with your birds of interest.

Intelsat 18 at 180.0°E, Info: SatBeams LyngSat

shows 1° Elevation from most of Thailand. Hope you live on a tall building or a tall mountain.

Did the homework before I saw your reply.

We pointed the dish in the correct position for intelsat 18, swung it, raised it, lowered it but still could not find AusPlus.

The tricky thing is or was, that some of the parameters are given in a polorised form and not in V or H.

So I did a search to see what this all meant and found answers from people who don't know what it means also.

The best answer, that I could understand, is that Vertical equates to R and horizontal equates to L, and if that doesn't work change R to H and L to V.

So we tried all this and still no luck.

Then I read somewhere else that you need a different LNB.

So we gave up on that and are now continuing to set the dish up for all the other satellites we can find.

My friendly Pattaya Satellite man was a bit frustrated, but he had a great solution to me being able to watch AusPlus, get all the Aussie Rules and the Leage and the Union for B2500 per year, plus more.

So happens he has an IPTV server in Pattaya with all the stuff I need on it. He was showing me some of the extensive programs on his android through out wifi.

When he drives off today back to Pattaya (and airconditioning, hot here mate!), I'll get him to send me a IPTV box which I plug into my tele.

[...]

We pointed the dish in the correct position for intelsat 18, swung it, raised it, lowered it but still could not find AusPlus.

The tricky thing is or was, that some of the parameters are given in a polorised form and not in V or H.

So I did a search to see what this all meant and found answers from people who don't know what it means also.

The best answer, that I could understand, is that Vertical equates to R and horizontal equates to L, and if that doesn't work change R to H and L to V.

So we tried all this and still no luck.

Then I read somewhere else that you need a different LNB.

So we gave up on that and are now continuing to set the dish up for all the other satellites we can find.

[...]

Use of a Ratio Spectrum can be double by the use of polarized signals, meaning 2 groups of signals can be sent in the same space as one if each uses a unique polarization.

Linear Polarization

Horizontal plane

Vertical plane

Circular Polarization

Right-Hand (or Clock-Wise)

Left-Hand (or Counter-clock-wise)

The LNB "FEEDHORN" contains the antenna type designed to capture signals from a particular polarization type.

satellitesignalpolarity.jpg

Depending on how 'tight' the focal area of your dish is, some user might place 2 dedicated LNBs right next to each other so they can capture either the common V/H or the R/L signals (cutting the scalar rings and slapping the two units as close together as possible.

Or, stuff a A Dielectric Plate in the feedhorn to convert circular polarisation to Linear (with a -3dB insertion signal loss). Put it in for Circular, take it out for Linear.

• Like 1

It is free on IPTV as normal (free is the word - not pay) and you have never been able to see IS18 here in Thailand on Satellite TV as it is below our eastern horizon, 180e always has been below our Thai horizon. Spot the word "Thai" ..

screenshot173.png