Undoubtedly moronic question - but humor me

LittleLew

In a couple of years I will be liquidating all my fixed US assets and converting into liquid stuff so I'll have no responsibilities back here.

My plan is to move to Chiang Mai, which I've visited a couple of times, to see if I can sustain a decent activ life here.

My concern is integrating into the community relatively quickly, finding buddies, etc.

I am an avid reader and semi-pro photographer and I plan to continue with those hobbies, but they are relatively solitary activities.

I have taught to graduate students - and enjoyed that.

Not a drinker, nothing against it, just I get hangovers like you can't believe.

Any suggestions about where to live, how to procede, the chances or usefulness of trying to teach, the chance of meeting middle aged, educated women who are not interested in marriage.

TIA,

LittleLew

Living inside or outside the old city will depend on your mobility / transport. Will you drive , or ride a bike / motorbike. There are markets and shops , such as Big C , all around the city.If you wish to visit certain places daily (shops , bars , pools , markets) then you may want to be nearer. Where have you stayed before.Maybe best to stay in hotel / guest house for a month or two to find your feet.There is an expats club that meets up - sorry - dont know where.Politeness , a smile , and trying to speek Thai , will go far. welcomeani.gifwai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

With liquid assets you will fit in just fine.

They won't be sloshing in my pocket but I meant to imply that I won't have anything to take care of in the US.smile.png

Living inside or outside the old city will depend on your mobility / transport. Will you drive , or ride a bike / motorbike. There are markets and shops , such as Big C , all around the city.If you wish to visit certain places daily (shops , bars , pools , markets) then you may want to be nearer. Where have you stayed before.Maybe best to stay in hotel / guest house for a month or two to find your feet.There is an expats club that meets up - sorry - dont know where.Politeness , a smile , and trying to speek Thai , will go far. welcomeani.gif.pagespeed.ce.WEO6J5z5nm.g width=60 alt=welcomeani.gif> wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

I think that staying at a hotel for a month would be the best plan.

TBH, while I'm not concerned about the travel, I am a bit worried about finding a social group.

I'm not a bar kind of guy, having been more of an academic or researcher my entire life and so teaching or somehow being involved with a university seemed like a decent entree.

If I am really wrong about this, please let me know.

TIA,

LL

Chiang Mai Expat club has many different groups with varied interests from coumputers - gardening - photography groups - treking groups....many interests....once here get involved with a few and the rest will take care of itself....

Do you suffer from respiratory problems? If so Pattaya-by-the-sea might be better. When I came here I knew no-one. I signed on with a pool team; then a quiz team. You learn lots from other ex-pats. A thriving ex-pats club every Sunday morning.

Yeaaahhh, thats it, how to make a small fortune in Thailand?.....come her with a BIG one, then once you have made stupid decisions and poor choices, you can join the rest of the poor downtrod sour bunch and moan and blame it all on Thailand and its people just like all the other ****

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Do you suffer from respiratory problems? If so Pattaya-by-the-sea might be better. When I came here I knew no-one. I signed on with a pool team; then a quiz team. You learn lots from other ex-pats. A thriving ex-pats club every Sunday morning.

Nope, and I hate the beach.

Yeaaahhh, thats it, how to make a small fortune in Thailand?.....come her with a BIG one, then once you have made stupid decisions and poor choices, you can join the rest of the poor downtrod sour bunch and moan and blame it all on Thailand and its people just like all the other ****

Thanks, I don't need to make money.