Renting a motorcycle in Bangkok - Good or bad idea?

wbholder

Hello everyone!

I just arrived in Bangkok a couple of days ago and was wondering about renting a motorcycle in the city. I looked up some info online and found this article advising against it. Does anyone else agree with this? Is it better to just rent motorcycles outside of big cities? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you all,

Walter.

Roads in bangkok are confusing. You cannot take expresseays, under and overpasses. So if you dont know bangkok, better get a motorsai taxi to ride you around. Outaide of bangkok at smallers places, you can rent and ride one easier.

It is not impossible of course but traffic here has different dynamics.

• Like 1

I agree with II2, roads can be confusing, and you miss a turn and have to ride several miles for a u-turn...

I wouldn't say Bangkok is dangerous at all, in fact I'd say the traffic is very forgiving because people ride quite 'defensively', in that they're not necessarily expecting other riders to signal or mirror-check. However you do need to be confident and a bit bold at times. Perhaps start off somewhere that isn't too busy.

It's useful if you can get a Thai license, but if not an international driving permit is of some use if stopped by the police.

Regardless of the mode of transport, you should get more familiar with how traffic flows here before you get behind the wheel or on a bike. I'm not suggesting months, but more than a couple of days... Having a GPS a and a planned route will address some, if not most navigation issues correctly brought up above, however layouts change, u-turns are not open 24*7, some bridges are OK to use, some are not...

IMHO a up-country is more dangerous than Bkk, space means speed for you and the cages that might hit you.

Never ride at night outside a big city. Avoid market times. Avoid closing times. Wear all the gear all the time. Enjoy.

• Like 1

It is not dangerous as long as you drive predictively and can predict other drivers. If you know the way how Thais drive you will be fine in bangkok.

it will take a bit of effort at first, and be very alert.

There are way too many motorcycles and everyone is used to it.

rule #1, dont trust other drivers.

• Like 1

Regardless of the mode of transport, you should get more familiar with how traffic flows here before you get behind the wheel or on a bike. I'm not suggesting months, but more than a couple of days... Having a GPS a and a planned route will address some, if not most navigation issues correctly brought up above, however layouts change, u-turns are not open 24*7, some bridges are OK to use, some are not...

IMHO a up-country is more dangerous than Bkk, space means speed for you and the cages that might hit you.

Never ride at night outside a big city. Avoid market times. Avoid closing times. Wear all the gear all the time. Enjoy.

I agree, try to avoid fast and big roads, tunnels and bridges.

Been biking in Bangkok 8 years on and off. Every year the traffic gets worse. I would have to say after all this time i still think it dangerous. I mean pretty much every time i go out i remind myself not to drop my guard...

I just have the mindset that there are no traffic laws at all and ride assuming others think that way.

I follow the basic laws other than an illegal u turn here n there, but others ride against the flow of traffic or park on a main road when they shouldn't, no turn signals, etc.

Expect the worst from others and anticipate bad drivers and you just get used to it and go with the flow.

I have to agree about the countryside; they don't have as much experience looking out for bikers. Only multi-vehicle accident I've had was on a road that I've been down countless times and the silly bird didn't even look before pulling out in front of me. I don't think that speed is all that big of a deal unless you're on the single/double digit roads upcountry. Otherwise it's farmers putting along in their pickup trucks at speeds the same or below what you'll find in BKK.

• Like 1