Pics from 1983

There are still parts of the island which can be quite deserted.

There's also the neighbouring islands such as Ko Taen which sill still pretty much have conditions like that, as in no electricity, running water, etc etc....

The pics sure looks idyllic, till I wanna adjust my aircon because the midday sun is starting to get hot, then I realize there's no aircon... so no thanks.

Toilet is a squat toilet where you have to manually flush from a bucket with water after who knows how many people has been using it.

My paradise includes all the modern amenities which comfortable modern life provides.

Edited by Mole

There are still parts of the island which can be quite deserted.

There's also the neighbouring islands such as Ko Taen which sill still pretty much have conditions like that, as in no electricity, running water, etc etc....

The pics sure looks idyllic, till I wanna adjust my aircon because the midday sun is starting to get hot, then I realize there's no aircon... so no thanks.

Toilet is a squat toilet where you have to manually flush from a bucket with water after who knows how many people has been using it.

My paradise includes all the modern amenities which comfortable modern life provides.

Electricity then was provided

by the resort generator which was switched off at 11pm, but our bungalows had the first built in bathrooms and sit down toilets en suite for Baht 250 per day

post-90689-0-69243900-1417596533_thumb.j

post-90689-0-62020300-1417596583_thumb.j

More pics, Chaweng Noi, The Ark Bar area, Samui ring road

I am with you on this one Crusty I was there first in 1984,85,86,87 and on and on loved it, and it was paradise,I first stayed in Chaweng Guest house next to the White House (now San Suse or something like that) and got bogged down on the Beach road it was just sand in then,Loved it but i was 30 years youger then,Still Here but living over the water now on mainland,There was about 10 bugalow resorts on the beach then,Had to go to Naton for a cheese sandwich and a milk shake in a place called The Birds Nest Where Coffee Corner is now,Thanks for the memores,Got any more pictures.

great photos.......more please?

No electricity meant a daily morning trip to the ice factory in Nathon. No jetskis but I opened a sailing school and one of the perks was teaching topless Euro girls windsurfing.

post-90689-0-20809800-1417825136_thumb.j

post-90689-0-10528300-1417825237_thumb.j

Nice to see how it used to be... thankfully there are still areas on some parts of Samui that are still like that... south, southwest and west sides!

It would be great to see more, Crusty, if you have! thumbsup.gif

Chaweng Beach, The bridge over the klong at First bungalows, notice the wooden planks that were salvaged from John Fowler's junk that was wrecked on the reef where Ark bar now stands.

post-90689-0-49399900-1417832254_thumb.j

post-90689-0-42196700-1417832327_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

This photo appeared on Facebook (not mine) and was shared with me. The caption says, it's how the first car – a pick-up, of course – came to Samui, loaded on two small fishing boats. It seems like originating from a private photo-album, it was shared from Thais, so perhaps from one who's family lived here at that time.
Maybe someone in the forum can help with a date (year)..?

post-122720-0-54965800-1456947406_thumb.

It looks like it could be Maenam Beach (or Bang Por) based on Koh Phangan in the background. I would guess the time is sometime in mid 1970'ies, based on what I've been told.

Thought it might have interest in the tread with old pictures.smile.png