Questions raised over Queen's ancestry after DNA test on Richard III's cousins

webfact

Questions raised over Queen’s ancestry after DNA test on Richard III’s cousins
Tests on descendants of last Plantagenet king point to ‘false paternity event’ and reveal he may have been blue-eyed blond
Maev Kennedy

LONDON: -- The bones of the king under the car park have delivered further shocks, 527 years after his death and more than two years after his remains were discovered in Leicester: Richard III was a blue-eyed blond, and the present Queen may not be descended from John of Gaunt and Edward III, the lineage on which the Tudor claim to the throne originated.

Five anonymous living donors, all members of the extended family of the present Duke of Beaufort, who claim descent from both the Plantagenets and Tudors through the children of John of Gaunt, gave DNA samples which should have matched Y chromosomes extracted from Richard’s bones. But none did.

Since Richard’s identity was proved by his mitochondrial DNA, handed down in an unbroken chain through the female line from his sister to two living relatives, the conclusion is stark: there is a break in the claimed line of Beaufort descent, what the scientists described as “a false paternity event”, which may also affect the ancestry of their distant cousins, the Windsors.

The other main finding overturns the most famous images of Richard, including the portrait head reconstructed from his skull that shows him with dark eyes and shoulder length dark hair. The analysis of his DNA gives a 96% probability for blue eyes and a 77% likelihood that he was blond at least in childhood.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/02/king-richard-iii-dna-cousins-queen-ancestry

-- the guardian 2014-12-03

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shock given that Charles II spent most of his reign fornicating his way across England and that many of his predecessors and successors did likewise.

But this implies a royal woman consorted outside the matrimonial bed.

Indeed, Changpaarp.

Edited by Seastallion

Remember the LM laws apply to the head of state of all countries.

I'm scared to death. Maybe someone will report me to Brussels, which is the Head of State of the UK, right?

No but if one person reports you to the Thai Police they must investigate. Are you sure you only have friends who read this forum?smile.png

The third group is insult against the Head of State of foreign countries or lèse-majesté. Insulting or threatening the King, Queen, Consort, Heir-apparent or Head of State of foreign countries (Section 133), which is an offence against the friendly relations with foreign states, is punishable by 1 to 7 years imprisonment or a fine of 2,000-140,000 baht, or both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se_majest%C3%A9_in_Thailand

Edited by harrry

I'm scared to death. Maybe someone will report me to Brussels, which is the Head of State of the UK, right?

No but if one person reports you to the Thai Police they must investigate. Are you sure you only have friends who read this forum?smile.png

The third group is insult against the Head of State of foreign countries or lèse-majesté. Insulting or threatening the King, Queen, Consort, Heir-apparent or Head of State of foreign countries (Section 133), which is an offence against the friendly relations with foreign states, is punishable by 1 to 7 years imprisonment or a fine of 2,000-140,000 baht, or both

So, all the nasty words about Obama, Abbott, et al, are illegal.

• Like 1

What a shock given that Charles II spent most of his reign fornicating his way across England and that many of his predecessors and successors did likewise.

Soon Prince Charles who is a Muslims shall claim his DNA is linked to Muhammad and he shall Lead England as a Muslim State

​Please remember England was once a Catholic Country

Edited by harryfrompattaya

Soon Prince Charles who is a Muslims shall claim his DNA is linked to Muhammad and he shall Lead England as a Muslim State

Actually he is a heir of the prophet through the Moorish connection to the Royal Families of europe. That is why no true muslim would dare harm them, their are a lot of ignorant people round claiming to be muslim though,

thank god for henry the 8th and as for charlie being muslim he dont have to be as in about lets say 100 years the uk will be muslim majority my reason is that most people who want to come to the uk are from pakistan afghanistan romania iran iraq to join there freinds here muslims i live in london and in the past 5 years have seen 3 new mosques built within 10 miles each other think that says it and they breed like rats

Get your facts right Romania is 81% Christians

I don't detect a brainless UKIP voter, do I?

• Like 1

Interesting topic. The responses were mostly off topic though. Isn't possession 9/10 of the law? If so, the queen of the British Empire has nothing to worry about no matter what her pedigree. Tongue in cheek.

Edited by kamahele

I seem to recall rampant Bush-bashing -- quite right, of course -- by both Thais and foreigners back in those wonderful neo-con days of the early 2000s with nobody getting arrested, so I wouldn't worry too much about this law.

thank god for henry the 8th and as for charlie being muslim he dont have to be as in about lets say 100 years the uk will be muslim majority my reason is that most people who want to come to the uk are from pakistan afghanistan romania iran iraq to join there freinds here muslims i live in london and in the past 5 years have seen 3 new mosques built within 10 miles each other think that says it and they breed like rats

Get your facts right Romania is 81% Christians

That's probably because the Romanian Muslims have moved to London England :-D

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

maybe so but, I doubt anyone is going to get prosecuted for discussing Liz and family....

Thank God some of us come from Free countries

• Like 1