Is this asbestos?

lamush

Asbestos has not been banned in Thailand. The coloured rooftiles (ours were installed 3 years ago), the imitation wood strips, everything that looks like asbestos IS. The only exception I found was some very old (20-30 years) roofing materiail that did not show the clumped fibres typical of asbestos. Use a camera on Macro setting on a damaged area. If it is asbestos you will see what looks like clumped fibres. There was a move earlier this year to ban asbestos, but it has not been passed. But rest assured a recent check of asbestos factory workers in Thailand found that 85-91% of the workers were free of asbestosis....

Asbestos has not been banned in Thailand. The coloured rooftiles (ours were installed 3 years ago), the imitation wood strips, everything that looks like asbestos IS. The only exception I found was some very old (20-30 years) roofing materiail that did not show the clumped fibres typical of asbestos. Use a camera on Macro setting on a damaged area. If it is asbestos you will see what looks like clumped fibres. There was a move earlier this year to ban asbestos, but it has not been passed. But rest assured a recent check of asbestos factory workers in Thailand found that 85-91% of the workers were free of asbestosis....

It can take up to 40 years to develop asbestosis...

• Like 1

Shera material is made with wood fibre.

sent from phone using bih thumbs

My father and thousands of other guys worked in the shipyards in WW2, where asbestos was used extensively to cover piping on the new ships. The workers wore no masks and most smoked unfiltered cigs whenever the "smoking lamp" was lit. The stuff is definitely dangerous, but in the form shown, it will never pose a problem, unless it it crushed up in demolition.

is that 09/09/45 like in 1945? In that is the case it should be asbestos but like Crossy said is perfectly safe is you do not cut, drill or grind it. I used to work in an asbestos mine as a student and lived in a house constructed from asbestos sheets and am still here.

Yes, the roofing material is a compressed form of asbestos rich cement, the Aussies call it Fibro and no, it is not dangerous unless it is literally ground up and cast into the air to be breathed in. It is hard, waterproof and It will serve for anything up to 50 years without causing any problems at all, Just paint it every now and then with a good exterior paint.

is that 09/09/45 like in 1945? In that is the case it should be asbestos but like Crossy said is perfectly safe is you do not cut, drill or grind it. I used to work in an asbestos mine as a student and lived in a house constructed from asbestos sheets and am still here.

it is obviously not 1945 as they wouldn't have had the computer printer to put the date on it.

It is the Thai year 2545 which is 2002 in our calendar.

Now even IF asbestos was banned in Thailand, do you think that would make any difference in the use of it ?

it is obviously not 1945 as they wouldn't have had the computer printer to put the date on it.

It is the Thai year 2545 which is 2002 in our calendar.

Wait, I think I have a printer from 1945.

There is asbestos about that will never go away from brake linings. I pity mechanics that blew out linings with air guns. We are probably breathing that in regularly - Sheet material containing asbestos is better not used but is really not such a problem.

You should use facemask everytime working with any kind of materials that produces dust, no difference if you drill in concrete or asbestos! Most dust particles are some how harmful for us so it's better for us to just work in a safe way. You could do it the Thai way and use an old T-shirt (moist) to cover your face. At least it has protection against dust particles, but it have no effect on things like pesticides, herbicides or welding fumes/gases.

While working with any of these fiber material just make sure to make it damp before/during work to minimize any airborne particles. Especially during demolition, just hose it down with water and pack it in plastic or bury it while still wet. IF its asbestos then either use protective clothing or just burn the clothes after you are finished as you will never be able to wash the fibres out of your clothes and any time you use the clothes you might be exposed to asbestos dust/fibre.

If it's new material it almost certainly is NOT asbestos, all the major Thai manufacturers no longer use it in their cement products.

Roofing material is amongst the safest asbestos products, provided you don't cut or break it it's not likely to cause issues. That said, if there is any doubt whatever, assume it's asbestos.

I remember when I was a nipper (long ago) there was an asbestos factory near us (Turner Brothers, Hindley Green), amazingly the place burned down.

They're still arguing about building on the old Turner Brothers site here in Rochdale, all these years since it shut down (2001). It also burnt down last year. I feel so sorry for all the poor souls who worked there and are now developing asbestosis.

Corrugated concrete asbestos is ok as long as you don't cut it or break it. As already suggested I would keep it painted and also spray sealer on the underside.

If only 12 years old wont be asbestos and if you keep it covered in paint will never be a problem.

I wouldn't be so sure about that:-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/04/12/national/Health-commission-to-seek-govt-ban-on-asbestos-use-30153023.html

As far as I know, Thailand continues to use asbestos in building materials especially roofing.

Just be careful when disposing or demolishing it.

Most likely chrysotile cement sheet, it's still used in Thailand. Will contain between 8% - 15% chrysotile (white) asbestos by weight. It's a serpentine asbestos rather than the more hazardous amphibole types (amosite/brown, crocidolite/blue). Some research suggests chrysotile fibres are about 500 times less carcinogenic than crocidolite.

You need to keep the sheets wetted during removal, try and crop the bolts too and lower the sheets down whole rather than smashing the granny out of them. Wrap in 1000 grade polythene using duct tape and dispose to licenced tip.

Use disposable coveralls, gloves and a P3 Factor 20 half face mask to do the job.

All that said, I will caveat that I don't know if Thailand uses or did use amphibole asbestos in cement sheets, so be careful.

• Like 1

Are they not using it anymore? I recently saw I TV report about Canadian mines sending that stuff by the shipload to India.

Can anybody really think of a better way to decrease a surplus population.........(maybe 20 years down the road).

P.S. Just don't cut or sand if you suspect asbestos. It has to be airborne and breathed. It doesn't have any other route of entry to the lungs.

i could not tell if its asbestos, but as others say, no big deal. If its looking frayed or you are otherwise worried about it getting into the air, paint it.Serious paint job will encapsulate it and let it give you yeard of good use

Engineer

Whether it is or not must be tested.... In the old days of Thailand, asbestos was sold as a siding for houses or whatever... Asbestos was truly known for its' durability, when mixed with binders such as cement, and lime. It was called the miracle mineral back in the day, mostly because of its high resistance to both heat and cold.... Yes it was used in refrigeration, and also High Temperature situations, especially steam, such as in power houses...

I am a retired Asbestos worker, from the USA. I would think that you could ask for the data on what you are showing.... Also, this product was used on many military bases constructed in other countries, naval ships, and fireproofing on iron beams in the commercial sector.

I can give you hint on how to test it though, put a fire to it, such as a flame from a simple butane lighter, if it continues glow, and there is asbestos. If goes out immediately, it is most likely a fiberglass binder used instead of asbestos......

Request a data sheet on the roofing....

Just a thought, kilosierra.....wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Whether it is or not must be tested.... In the old days of Thailand, asbestos was sold as a siding for houses or whatever... Asbestos was truly known for its' durability, when mixed with binders such as cement, and lime. It was called the miracle mineral back in the day, mostly because of its high resistance to both heat and cold.... Yes it was used in refrigeration, and also High Temperature situations, especially steam, such as in power houses...

I am a retired Asbestos worker, from the USA. I would think that you could ask for the data on what you are showing.... Also, this product was used on many military bases constructed in other countries, naval ships, and fireproofing on iron beams in the commercial sector.

I can give you hint on how to test it though, put a fire to it, such as a flame from a simple butane lighter, if it continues glow, and there is asbestos. If goes out immediately, it is most likely a fiberglass binder used instead of asbestos......

Request a data sheet on the roofing....

Just a thought, kilosierra.....wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

It could be SuperLux, but I doubt it.

MJP, on 07 Dec 2014 - 04:49, said:

Most likely chrysotile cement sheet, it's still used in Thailand. Will contain between 8% - 15% chrysotile (white) asbestos by weight. It's a serpentine asbestos rather than the more hazardous amphibole types (amosite/brown, crocidolite/blue). Some research suggests chrysotile fibres are about 500 times less carcinogenic than crocidolite.

You need to keep the sheets wetted during removal, try and crop the bolts too and lower the sheets down whole rather than smashing the granny out of them. Wrap and 1000 grade polythene using duct tape and dispose to licenced tip.

Use disposable coveralls, gloves and a P3 Factor 20 half face mask to do the job.

All that said, I will caveat that I don't know if Thailand uses or did use amphibole asbestos in cement sheets, so be careful.

I put a new roof on my garage back in the UK (1" Ply and Roof felt). The old corrugated sheets, I suspected had a certain amount of asbestos in them.

I wore disposable overalls, dusk mask, goggles, cut the bolts and wetted the sheets to remove them whole.

Our local Waste Disposal yard had the facilities to dispose of asbestos materials, so I took the sheets there, only to be told they can't take sheets, it must be broken down and disposed of in bags!!!

Health and Safety in practice by the local Council.

MJP, on 07 Dec 2014 - 04:49, said:

You need to keep the sheets wetted during removal, try and crop the bolts too and lower the sheets down whole rather than smashing the granny out of them. Wrap and 1000 grade polythene using duct tape and dispose to licenced tip.

I put a new roof on my garage back in the UK (1" Ply and Roof felt). The old corrugated sheets, I suspected had a certain amount of asbestos in them.

I wore disposable overalls, dusk mask, goggles, cut the bolts and wetted the sheets to remove them whole.

Our local Waste Disposal yard had the facilities to dispose of asbestos materials, so I took the sheets there, only to be told they can't take sheets, it must be broken down and disposed of in bags!!!

Health and Safety in practice by the local Council.

They need to be double bagged to be accepted at a normal waste transfer station.

These days in demo we wet the cement sheets up and smash them in with high excavators under dust suppression sprays. Seriously. It's the NFDC's approved method as agreed with HSE!