Questions

astroid60

37 th Day in Chiang Mai, and loving it!Some Questions.

Why do hotels have signs in toilets "Please do not flush toilet paper"?

Are Tuktuks & Baht buses owner operators or company owned?

What sort of motors in Tuktuks? They all sound the same.

See some chaps assembling street stalls in the afternoon wearing hats, sunglasses, face mask, long sleeve shirts, long trousers & gloves so they are completely hidden, Why?

Thanks in anticipation of informative replies.

If you've been flushing toilet paper down the toilet for 37 days you'll know why.

A slightly more helpful answer would be to tell you that the hose next to the toilet seat is for washing your rear end.

It's not for having a cold shower while seated!

No need for paper at all!

Sometimes the toilet paper won't go down. At those places, there is usually a basket nearby for your toilet paper, but there is normally a hose that you can use instead.

I never even thought about who owned the transportation. I don't know, but I guess I always assumed they were independent.

I've only seen people dressed up as you described doing gardening work so I thought they were wearing it for protection.

The sewer drainage system is rubbish and toilet paper blocks up most people's plumbing.

I agree it isn't ideal, but I'd rather have a bin full of crappy tissue than a toilet unusable because it's bunged up with the stuff.

Then again I have a negligible sense of smell.

By now you should have had all your questions answered..... albeit to various degrees.

Re the toilet tissue..... you would probably see the aforementioned signs in public places which would tend to have a larger number of tourists. They may be completely oblivious to the "spritzer" and its use. If you are going to reside here for some time, you will, in all probability be weaned off tissue and onto the spritzer. If you can step back from your western thinking process and indoctrination, and really think it thru, then you will , in all probability have to agree that the spritzing is a lot more sanitary than the old smearing custom of the tissue...... If you are to be here for a while, then , for some reason return to your home country, you may find yourself looking for someone to install a spritzer in your bathroom back home.

I believe most of the tuk-tuks are leased on a daily to monthly basis by the drivers. Not sure about the various color Song-taous. They mostly sound the same, with the exception of the newer, larger, red tuk tuks which are much newer and quieter.

It may be a good guess that the masked men that you mention are taking out the various trolleys for the vendors at the night market. They are in storage during the closed hours and that crew is the one that drags them out for the next days business.

Welcome to the forum and to Chiang Mai......Its quite a place that once the CM Bug has bitten and makes you not want too leave.

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 2

On the rare times I have been caught short, mainly in a shopping centre I have heeded the warnings about not using paper but on occasions there hasn't been any paper.

So we need a creative solution to not having to exit with a wet bum ! Please keep it clean,ideas I mean.

• Like 1

On the rare times I have been caught short, mainly in a shopping centre I have heeded the warnings about not using paper but on occasions there hasn't been any paper.

So we need a creative solution to not having to exit with a wet bum ! Please keep it clean,ideas I mean.

Carry a small packet of "wet wipes" with you when you go out.

Always carry tissue in my shoulder bag just in case but use the bum gun if it is there. Some places do not have them.

"See some chaps assembling street stalls in the afternoon wearing hats, sunglasses, face mask, long sleeve shirts, long trousers & gloves so they are completely hidden, Why?"

They want to have white skin and therefore higher class.

It doesn't work, underneath they are still mostly 'black dogs'

The tissue is used to dry yourself after washing your ass, the pipes easily get clogged by the tissue.

The bin shouldn't be full of shitty paper, just a bit wet.

Thais use the gun and their hand to wash after a poo. no tissue.....never shake hands with them :)

No one's really answered the question about what kind of "motor" is in the tuk-tuks. I assume he means "engine". They don't all sound the same. The new red ones are much quieter.

Post 5, line 3

Then why are the new red tuk-tuks so much quieter than the older ones? It can't just be because they're newer. I think maybe they have a different type of engine.