Thai Transport gets tough with 'Uber Taxis'

webfact

As a very biased Brisbane taxi driver, may i make a few points which apply in Oz and may well here.

A vehicle registered 'private' and operated to carry paying passengers will invalidate TPPI and Comprehensive insurance policies. Comprehensive for a cab is ~AUD4000/year.

Taxi drivers also carry public liability insurance which covers customers entering or leaving the cab

Taxi drivers are required to have annual health checks as well as criminal and driving history checks.

Detection of ANY level of alcohol or drugs, by police or Transport Enforcement, in my system will cause loss of licence. Good luck in ever getting it back.

What's your point? Uber seems to be doing just fine in Oz, lad.

Which states is it allowed to operate in?

Do I look like ArrowsGoogle to you? Sydney and Melbourne at least. Look it up.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which states is it allowed to operate in?

Do I look like ArrowsGoogle to you? Sydney and Melbourne at least. Look it up.

I think you should look it up. It's banned in most (if not all) states.

As a very biased Brisbane taxi driver, may i make a few points which apply in Oz and may well here.

A vehicle registered 'private' and operated to carry paying passengers will invalidate TPPI and Comprehensive insurance policies. Comprehensive for a cab is ~AUD4000/year.

Taxi drivers also carry public liability insurance which covers customers entering or leaving the cab

Taxi drivers are required to have annual health checks as well as criminal and driving history checks.

Detection of ANY level of alcohol or drugs, by police or Transport Enforcement, in my system will cause loss of licence. Good luck in ever getting it back.

If you want to sound even more condescending why not include a pat on the head?!

Lad? You come from oop North?

I believe UBER requires proof of insurance, license and medical certificate before you can be a driver in their network. The taxi mafia doesn't like the extra competition so they'll do anything to stop it.

I don't believe you can get insurance for carrying paying passengers in a private vehicle in Thailand.

Sorry, what I tried to say was that you have to prove that you're insurable. UBER provides insurance for all of its trips. A driver wouldn't have to have Thai Insurance. Here's the info from the UBER site:

From the time a driver accepts a trip request through our app until the completion of the ride, our partners have $1 million of coverage for driver liability. We were also the first ridesharing request service to include $1 million of coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorists, meaning that passengers and drivers are also covered for injuries when another party is at fault and lacks sufficient insurance. This $1 million coverage from trip acceptance to drop-off is consistent across cities. This coverage kicks in regardless of whether the driver’s personal insurance applies to the trip. We have also added contingent comprehensive and collision insurance during trips, up to $50,000/incident with a $1,000 deductible.

I believe UBER requires proof of insurance, license and medical certificate before you can be a driver in their network.

You believe...

The complaint in many justification has been that they merely require, for example, a regular compulsory third-party insurance and not a compressive cover for passengers like Taxis would require.

Edited by Morakot

I believe UBER requires proof of insurance, license and medical certificate before you can be a driver in their network.

You believe...

The complaint in many justification has been that they merely require, for example, a regular compulsory third-party insurance and not a compressive cover of passengers like Taxis would require.

UBER insures every trip booked with their app.

If you want to sound even more condescending why not include a pat on the head?!

Lad? You come from oop North?

Affectionately done, lad, and it is oop Narth, near the firth of Chiang Mai.

Edited by arrowsdawdle

I believe UBER requires proof of insurance, license and medical certificate before you can be a driver in their network. The taxi mafia doesn't like the extra competition so they'll do anything to stop it.

I don't believe you can get insurance for carrying paying passengers in a private vehicle in Thailand.

Sorry, what I tried to say was that you have to prove that you're insurable. UBER provides insurance for all of its trips. A driver wouldn't have to have Thai Insurance. Here's the info from the UBER site:

From the time a driver accepts a trip request through our app until the completion of the ride, our partners have $1 million of coverage for driver liability. We were also the first ridesharing request service to include $1 million of coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorists, meaning that passengers and drivers are also covered for injuries when another party is at fault and lacks sufficient insurance. This $1 million coverage from trip acceptance to drop-off is consistent across cities. This coverage kicks in regardless of whether the driver’s personal insurance applies to the trip. We have also added contingent comprehensive and collision insurance during trips, up to $50,000/incident with a $1,000 deductible.

That's for the US, not Thailand (or any other country).

http://blog.uber.com/ridesharinginsurance

Is this the answer to this question:

In the US, what insurance is available if there's an accident?

You believe...

The complaint in many justification has been that they merely require, for example, a regular compulsory third-party insurance and not a compressive cover of passengers like Taxis would require.

UBER insures every trip booked with their app.

Insured for what?

Just took an Uber, awesome!

Clean car, a driver who actually would pass a driving test, free water and picked up in a spanking new Camry. Who wants a smelly, no seat belt, no MOT standard taxi when they can take an Uber.

You forgot to add, who wants a registered dozing speed freak driver apt to grab his gun or steel bar over a 5 baht discrepancy?

I cannot remember how many times I have used Uber Black, but it's at least dozens of times. The cars, usually a Camry, Accord, or Benz, have all been late model, clean, well-equipped and have functioning seat belts/shoulder straps. They do not smell like old, perfume or vomit. That covers the vehicle safety aspect for me. How many regular Bangkok taxis can make these claims?

All of the cars have been green plated and owned by various licensed limo companies in Bangkok and are fully insured. All drivers undergo background checks. I have asked at least a couple of drivers and they did have commercial driving licenses. Most speak good to excellent English, they are professional, and even assist you with packages or baggage if you wish. None I have encountered have been drinking or appear under the influence of yah bah. They do not refuse fares. Contrast this to regular Bangkok taxis.
You receive an estimated charge before you embark. Once you are in the car, you can follow your route's progress on your phone. The driver is equipped with GPS, so he will know how to get there. Transactions are cashless and completely secure. After the payment transacts, you receive a receipt that shows a breakdown of all charges as well as a map of the route you took, just in case you would like to debate whether you were driven around.
So I don't get it. What are Land Transport trying to protect us from here? May I suggest that they allow us the choice so that we can elect to be driven in a clean, safe, insured car with safety belts, by professional, sober drivers, and with an honest transaction. Granted, Uber Black costs a bit more per KM, but why are we not allowed to decide which service we want and how much we would like to pay.
  • Like 2

I cannot remember how many times I have used Uber Black, but it's at least dozens of times. The cars, usually a Camry, Accord, or Benz, have all been late model, clean, well-equipped and have functioning seat belts/shoulder straps. They do not smell like old, perfume or vomit. That covers the vehicle safety aspect for me. How many regular Bangkok taxis can make these claims?

All of the cars have been green plated and owned by various licensed limo companies in Bangkok and are fully insured. All drivers undergo background checks. I have asked at least a couple of drivers and they did have commercial driving licenses. Most speak good to excellent English, they are professional, and even assist you with packages or baggage if you wish. None I have encountered have been drinking or appear under the influence of yah bah. They do not refuse fares. Contrast this to regular Bangkok taxis.
You receive an estimated charge before you embark. Once you are in the car, you can follow your route's progress on your phone. The driver is equipped with GPS, so he will know how to get there. Transactions are cashless and completely secure. After the payment transacts, you receive a receipt that shows a breakdown of all charges as well as a map of the route you took, just in case you would like to debate whether you were driven around.
So I don't get it. What are Land Transport trying to protect us from here? May I suggest that they allow us the choice so that we can elect to be driven in a clean, safe, insured car with safety belts, by professional, sober drivers, and with an honest transaction. Granted, Uber Black costs a bit more per KM, but why are we not allowed to decide which service we want and how much we would like to pay.

"What are Land Transport trying to protect us from here?"

They are trying to protect us from getting an unlicenced (and uninsured) "taxi".

The issue isn't with the taxis that use the system, It's with the private cars that use the system.

"What are Land Transport trying to protect us from here?"

They are trying to protect us from getting an unlicenced (and uninsured) "taxi".

The issue isn't with the taxis that use the system, It's with the private cars that use the system.

All Über Blacks that I have used have been licensed, green plate commercial vehicles that are owned by limo companies. If we are talking about normal taxis, how many times have you seen the license on the dashboard bears no resemblance to the driver? Go ahead, ask him, and we will say "Oh, that is my Uncle Somchai. He said I could drive today." Do you think that would happen with Uber?

And just how certain are you that insurance cover would be worth anything in Uncle Somchai's taxi? And what about his taxi's condition and safety? Have a look at the tyres sometimes, or a listen to the squeaking, worn out brakes. Seat belts in the back? Maybe 50% of the time.

Uber is fully insured in Bangkok. From their site:

END-TO-END INSURANCE, WE HAVE YOU COVERED

From the moment you get into any Uber product (e.g. uberX, UberBLACK) to the moment you’re dropped off, your ride is covered by commercial liability insurance. That goes for every trip in every city around the world.

Also, maybe ask yourself: your wife needs to take a taxi home at 10 pm. Would you prefer:

1. Uncle Somchai's nephew in a beat up old car who may or may not be sober and of unknown background and trust, or;

2. An Uber Black car, new, insured and in good condition, with a professional driver who has undergone a background check?

No need to answer. My point is that I for one an thankful that I have a choice right now, and I believe you should as well.

• Like 1

From the moment you get into any Uber product (e.g. uberX, UberBLACK) to the moment you’re dropped off, your ride is covered by commercial liability insurance. That goes for every trip in every city around the world.

Thanks for posting this. Can we see the fine print and hear what this commercial liability insurance exactly entails.

All Über Blacks that I have used have been licensed, green plate commercial vehicles that are owned by limo companies. If we are talking about normal taxis, how many times have you seen the license on the dashboard bears no resemblance to the driver? Go ahead, ask him, and we will say "Oh, that is my Uncle Somchai. He said I could drive today." Do you think that would happen with Uber?

And just how certain are you that insurance cover would be worth anything in Uncle Somchai's taxi? And what about his taxi's condition and safety? Have a look at the tyres sometimes, or a listen to the squeaking, worn out brakes. Seat belts in the back? Maybe 50% of the time.

Also, maybe ask yourself: your wife needs to take a taxi home at 10 pm. Would you prefer:

1. Uncle Somchai's nephew in a beat up old car who may or may not be sober and of unknown background and trust, or;

2. An Uber Black car, new, insured and in good condition, with a professional driver who has undergone a background check?

No need to answer. My point is that I for one an thankful that I have a choice right now, and I believe you should as well.

I am not saying one way or the other whether Uber is better or worse than other alternatives.

But in all articles that I have read about Uber being banned, it indicates that the issue is insurance. The Uber services that use licenced taxis are not a problem, since they are *licenced* taxis.

The problem is private vehicles. I don't really care what Uber say in their marketing (which is all that "END-TO-END" statement is), if you look further into the website, it only talks about insurance in the US.

I haven't seen anything that indicates that Uber insures drivers/passengers in any other country.

Thanks for posting this. Can we see the fine print and hear what this commercial liability insurance exactly entails.

You may want to contact Uber for the fine print. And just for comparison, maybe ask Uncle Somchai regarding the insurance on his taxi as well. With a business to protect, I am guessing that Uber would have you covered at least as well as Uncle Somchai. That said, liability insurance has never really been one of my major worries when using taxis. Driver sobriety, dangerous driving and vehicle condition have all been higher up my list of concerns.

• Like 1

The effort to legalize UBER service will allow the department to control the quality of UBER service in terms of drivers, taxi cab condition, and service charge which must be as equal as other taxis.

Oh, this comedy almost writes itself.

I am not saying one way or the other whether Uber is better or worse than other alternatives.

But in all articles that I have read about Uber being banned, it indicates that the issue is insurance. The Uber services that use licenced taxis are not a problem, since they are *licenced* taxis.

The problem is private vehicles. I don't really care what Uber say in their marketing (which is all that "END-TO-END" statement is), if you look further into the website, it only talks about insurance in the US.

I haven't seen anything that indicates that Uber insures drivers/passengers in any other country.

Had you read about three posts you, you might have seen this, quoted from Uber's website:

I would assume 'international' means places outside the USA.

I still want to understand how these beat up old normal taxis in Bangkok are better insured than the green plate commercial limos that Uber use. Seriously, if insurance was really the issue, and even if Uber really was sending out uninsured new Camrys and Benzes (which I seriously doubt), is insurance was really the issue, don't you think they would just go out and buy some insurance cover?

When's the last time you saw any "fine print" insurance info while driving in a taxi in Bangkok? Let's face it, anytime you get in a car for hire you're rolling the dice! I'd rather get in a UBER taxi that's clean and in good operating condition than ride in a busted-up Pink Taxi. There's no way UBER is providing this service without some type of minimal insurance.

US$40 billion? Seriously...who makes this crap up?

I tried using Grab Taxi....you see them being heavily promoted in Bangkok....tried 4 times to order a cab...never worked and have since deleted the APP.

I don't know what you are doing wrong but I use GrabTaxi all the time for Bangkok. I even used them for a trip to Pattaya from Bangkok and several accepted the request.

I see that Bumrungrad hospital no longer allows regular taxis and will only let patients use EasyTaxi cabs. I assume that this is because they are much safer, cleaner and more professional than the usual mafia taxis.

i used a taxi already at bumringrad. they wanted 20 baht more saying standard but refused to give receipt

Had you read about three posts you, you might have seen this, quoted from Uber's website:

I would assume 'international' means places outside the USA.

I still want to understand how these beat up old normal taxis in Bangkok are better insured than the green plate commercial limos that Uber use. Seriously, if insurance was really the issue, and even if Uber really was sending out uninsured new Camrys and Benzes (which I seriously doubt), is insurance was really the issue, don't you think they would just go out and buy some insurance cover?

You didn't read my post, did you? Try reading this one.

No one is saying the beat up taxis are better. Do you understand that?

The UberBlack taxis ARE insured since they ARE taxis.

The UberX "taxis" are not all insured, since they are often private cars, and private insurance doesn't cover you if you are carrying paying passengers.

The Uber "END-TO-END" insurance statement is marketing. There is nothing on the website giving any detail of insurance except for in the US.

Uber are not "sending out" anything. Uber is a technology company. The "taxis" and passengers use Uber to connect. The problem that the authorities have in many countries is that they have no control of whether these private "taxis" have insurance or not.

• Like 1

As I understand it the uber mob use Thai drivers and limousines.

Their prices are reasonable and their vehicles are clean

Why cannot these outraged Thai officials do their job properly and get the Thai Taxis to conform

Outlawing über is just pure jealousy and a reaction to a service not provided by these paid officials and current taxi drivers.

I have to bore you again with my comment ...why cannot the officials do their job properly.

Sure, but those minor issues that you mentioned don't count here. What really matters is the vested interests of the taxi companies that control things and probably pay the BIB on a monthly basis.

It's not really clear what is covered and what is not.

So the LTD agreeing a framework with Uber to give some adequate consumer protection would be a good thing.

I don't think a case like Vietnam is good at all, where Uber was just declared illegal.

Basically Grab-Taxi works as it supposed to do but the problem is that often the Taxi which won the bid to pick you up are far away or stuck in traffic.

Grab-Taxi promotes it's self to order a Taxi 5mins just before you want to be picked up but waiting times up to 40mins is a common problem.

The app shows you where the cab that accepted your request is and tells you how long until arrival. If it's too long then just cancel it with the app and try again. If it happens several times then try putting a 20B tip in the app and see if anyone closer accepts it.

Is it so hard getting a normal taxi in Bangers?