Phuket government requests businesses to refrain from alcohol sales on Father's Day

webfact

Phuket government requests businesses to refrain from alcohol sales on Father's Day
The Phuket News

1417690444_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- Patong Police Superindent Chiraphat Pochanaphanhas confirmed that he has recieved an official request from the Phuket provincial government to ask all businesses on the island to refrain from selling alcohol tomorrow, HM the King's 87th birthday, Thailand's Father's Day.

Patong's top cop told The Phuket News that he had just recieved the letter this evening (December 4) and understands that the letter was sent out to all police presincts on the island.

The request follows a statement from the Royal Thai Police yesterday stating that there would be no formal ban in the kingdom, and is also consistent with a statement from the island's top cop given earlier this week that we would need to wait closer to the holiday to confirm whether or not there would be a ban or request not to sale booze.

Mr Chiraphat explained that the request is not an official ban and though businesses who choose not to comply with the request would not be subject to criminal charges under Thai law, police "may visit the business to have a talk".

The request follows several businesses in Patong contacting The Phuket News and Live 89.5 earlier today to report that local police had been pressuring some bar owners on the famous party zone of Bangla Rd to close if not refrain from selling booze tomorrow.

The request affects all businesses – bars, restaurants, supermarkets and convenience stores – and is effective for December 5 (12.01am tonight untill 11.59 tomorrow tonight).

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-government-requests-businesses-to-refrain-from-alochol-sales-on-fathers-day-49990.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-05

"Mr Chiraphat explained that the request is not an official ban and though businesses who choose not to comply with the request would not be subject to criminal charges under Thai law, police "may visit the business to have a talk"

have a talk? is that code for collect tea money?

the couple of bar owners i spoke to last night thought so :D

• Like 2

police "may visit the business to have a talk"

Might police decide to check all foreigner customer and employee passports and require all to do an urine sample if the "talk" doesn't prove fruitful? Though legally abusive the police do have leverage to make problems. How about some reform on government requests that carry no legal standing?

'... police "may visit the business to have a talk".' And extract a 'fine', naturally. Their quaint naivete never fails to raise a titter. Short of imposing draconian controls with omnipotent drinks police empowered to raid homes - a final-nail-in-the-coffin strategy - those who want a drink on their terms and at times of their choosing will do as they wish.

I don't know about anyone else but I am slightly confused,

" and is effective for December 5 (12.01am tonight untill 11.59 tomorrow tonight)."

Is the ban request from 1 minute past midnight this morning to 1 minute to midnight tonight,

or have I got it wrong?? (again) facepalm.gif

Edited by phuketjock

I don't know about anyone else but I am slightly confused,

" and is effective for December 5 (12.01am tonight untill 11.59 tomorrow tonight)."

Is the ban request from 1 minute past midnight this morning to 1 minute to midnight tonight,

or have I got it wrong?? (again) facepalm.gif

The bars will be closed today (friday), but open tomorrow saturday 6th as usual