Dtac Wireless Internet

rob1599

Hello all. I see that there is a promotion for DTAC unlimited wireless internet at 999 baht per month for 12 months. That is a much better deal than AIS. Is there anyone here that uses DTAC for wireless internet? If so, how is the quality and speed? Is DTAC available everywhere or only Bangkok and Pattaya area?

Thanks,

Rob

Hello all. I see that there is a promotion for DTAC unlimited wireless internet at 999 baht per month for 12 months. That is a much better deal than AIS. Is there anyone here that uses DTAC for wireless internet? If so, how is the quality and speed? Is DTAC available everywhere or only Bangkok and Pattaya area?

Thanks,

Rob

:o

well wireless internet regardless of the provider have a lot in common to take considerations. One thing is your location if your in Bangkok you must be in the highest building or in a location with few or clear in air obstraction like tall buildings or signage. Or you might not be near the airport. If your in Pattaya side be sure your not on the side of the beach strong winds might dislocate the position of the antena or disk which might lead to internet down or slow internet.

It's adviceable that your 2-3 km near the base station. This will give you a good connection. Better take a site survey first before hooked-up on wireless

And this is the speed

Q. What is the speed while playing internet?

A. The speed of the internet is 85.6 Kbps but when you connect to the internet,the speed of the GPRS in Thailand is approximately 40 Kbps.This speed is a little faster than a modem in our home.

So beware this is not the same as Wireless networking from Mweb or others.

It's just using your pcmcia card a a cell phone to dial the isp.

B

• 2 weeks later...

Rob1599 Please explain what you mean by DTAC being better than AIS. I have been using AIS GPRS for over a year and have never paid more than 850 Baht for their unlimited plan. I am online about four hours a day. When the kids were here, they downloaded so many e-mails from their IBM site that they were online almost continuously, that month I payed 950.

• 2 weeks later...
(DTAC GPRS) Cell sites

Interestingly not a single site in Banglamung. Again, Pattaya is in the back of the queue. What are those people thinking about, if there is one place with a concentration of potential users it's here ... sheesh!

Not a problem...You can test the service on a PAYG basis, at 0.10 baht per kb.

If ok, in the areas you frequent, you can then sign up for the 'unlimited' package.

Where can you sign up for this PAYG service?

Do you have to have an internet SIM?

As a foreigner, how to open account if you are not living here on work permit - ie. retired living with Thai wife?

This is a brilliant thread! Its inspired me! I was getting quite depressed about having to fork out B300 per month for IPStar!

Ooops!

I meant B3000 (thousand) per month for IPStar!

And all the technical problems I've read about on this site.

GPRS with laptop connect - either with bluetooth mobile or the Axen card looks just the job.

I'm sure somebody is going to post 'otherwise' now!

Guest Lazarus
Ooops!

I meant B3000 (thousand) per month for IPStar!

And all the technical problems I've read about on this site.

GPRS with laptop connect - either with bluetooth mobile or the Axen card looks just the job.

I'm sure somebody is going to post 'otherwise' now!

Which technical problems would those be doh falang?

3,000 is far too much. Get a fire and a wet blanket. Then you will be fine.

Not a problem...You can test the service on a PAYG basis, at 0.10 baht per kb.

If ok, in the areas you frequent, you can then sign up for the 'unlimited' package.

Where can you sign up for this PAYG service?

Do you have to have an internet SIM?

As a foreigner, how to open account if you are not living here on work permit - ie. retired living with Thai wife?

This is a brilliant thread! Its inspired me! I was getting quite depressed about having to fork out B300 per month for IPStar!

No need to sign up or to obtain a special SIM. You can pick up a Dprompt SIM for 250 baht at MBK. You will also need a GPRS capable mobile telephone. If you haven't got one, the Nokia 8310 is an older entry level phone. MBK is probably a good source.

Once equipped with phone and SIM card, contact Dprompt to activate the service.

HappyDprompt: 100 baht per MB. Voice calls between 2.5 - 5 baht

One2Call: 150 baht per MB. Voice calls between 4 - 8 baht.

I have a Sierra Wireless card that works great, but it cost me 15k and I bought it from a Fujitsu dealer without questioning the price because wireless was the answer for my "no phone lines available location at the time". My AIS connectivity works well here in Chiang Mai and Pattay. The problem is speed.

At 40 bps there are times it is impossible. Mornings seem ok now.