Spicy food and flushes.

sipi

Being married long term to a lady from the NE, I have always enjoyed spicy food; and have been quite tolerant of it.

But I have noticed (and so has the wife) that lately, whenever I eat even mildly spicy food, my face glows bright red. It seems unfortunately I just can't do it any more.

I am 50 years old, slightly overweight and starting to show signs of mild hyper-tension.

Is this the end of Issan food for me?

Sounds like probably you have rosacea and peppers are a trigger. Very common with white people. A knowledgeable dermatologist can help but she will probably tell you to avoid all known triggers (no fun!) as well as maybe suggest topical skin medication. You probably have other triggers as well.

If it is rosacea then the blood pressure issue is separate.

Many older people have MULTIPLE issues.

Join the club!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Sounds like probably you have rosacea and peppers are a trigger. Very common with white people. A knowledgeable dermatologist can help but she will probably tell you to avoid all known triggers (no fun!) as well as maybe suggest topical skin medication. You probably have other triggers as well.

If it is rosacea then the blood pressure issue is separate.

Many older people have MULTIPLE issues.

Join the club!

Yes I "googled rosacea" before annoying everyone here. And it seemed to be the one. Alcohol does it occasionally. I have heard that "beta blockers" (which are readily available over the counter in Thailand as "Metropol Titrate") might help? Sometimes it just happens for fun, no idea what the 'trigger'is. But it becoming more prevalent from eating spicy food.

I have regular blood tests which come back clear.

Do you feel embarrassed about eating local, spicy food, perhaps a little guilt? It could be related.

I have other crackpot theories if you would like to hear them.

Guilty? Not normally.

Other crackpot theories? Fire away....

Are you doing vigorous exercise during eating this spicy food? That would make you red-faced. If you are not sure, I suggest you wear a heart rate monitor. If your heart rate is over 130 beats a minute, that would probably be sufficient to give you a red face.

wai.gif

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

Are you doing vigorous exercise during eating this spicy food? That would make you red-faced. If you are not sure, I suggest you wear a heart rate monitor. If your heart rate is over 130 beats a minute, that would probably be sufficient to give you a red face.

wai.gif

Maybe I should not eat spicey food when standing on my head.