PM urges rival parties to bury differences

Lite Beer

He asks both sides to bury the hatchet as he grinds his heel into one side's face while promoting the other side to positions of power. Nice joke Gen, no-ones buying it.

Exactly.Obviously reconciliation is the right way forward but it cannot be done by a government without legitimacy, and completely wedded to one side.This government is following the agenda of the unelected elites (and their urban middle class acolytes) in every particular.This is simply burying the conflict not solving it.

Jayboy.... its not our fault you were born poor and have a chip on your shoulder.. Prayuth may not be everyones cup of tea but at least he is trying. But certainly not easy to bring all sides to the table. If you have a better idea please share it with us and STOP being so negative. And this government has a certain legitimacy .. The general told me.. The alternative would have cost many lives and those so called politicians would have won again.. pigs to the trough..! Give him a chance... or would you rather the Shinewatras again..?

better idea,

restore the '97 constitution and hold elections end of January.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He asks both sides to bury the hatchet as he grinds his heel into one side's face while promoting the other side to positions of power. Nice joke Gen, no-ones buying it.

Exactly.Obviously reconciliation is the right way forward but it cannot be done by a government without legitimacy, and completely wedded to one side.This government is following the agenda of the unelected elites (and their urban middle class acolytes) in every particular.This is simply burying the conflict not solving it.

Jayboy.... its not our fault you were born poor and have a chip on your shoulder.. Prayuth may not be everyones cup of tea but at least he is trying. But certainly not easy to bring all sides to the table. If you have a better idea please share it with us and STOP being so negative. And this government has a certain legitimacy .. The general told me.. The alternative would have cost many lives and those so called politicians would have won again.. pigs to the trough..! Give him a chance... or would you rather the Shinewatras again..?

He's not trying anything at all.

The only long term solution is to accept that the sides will never agree and to set up a strong independent legal system to.enforce the rules concerning corruption and election fraud equally and without favour onto ALL parties equally.

How is sondhis 300th appeal and bail going, how long is it going to take to get Yingluck into court, where is suthep?

He wants the status quo to stay and magically produce peace and quiet. Ain't going to happen until all wrongdoers on all sides are caught and prosecuted as a lesson to all that the no one is above the law.

For a second there, I was actually going to respond to you - then I caught myself from wasting more time. You don't actually care about facts or reality or what is actually good for Thailand, in your obsession over what you perceive democracy should be. Pointless.

Good thing your position is essentially irrelevant and on the fringe. Done.

For a second there, I was actually going to respond to you - then I caught myself from wasting more time. You don't actually care about facts or reality or what is actually good for Thailand, in your obsession over what you perceive democracy should be. Pointless.

I am coming to the opinion that you are a paid poster who latches onto anyone with a reasonable arguement and simply attacks the messenger and not the message.

In 12 years on this board I have never met anyone quite so offensive and irrelevant as you. Thee maybe a first time for the ignore button after all.

So please tell me what is he "trying" to other than threatening that if there isn't some kind of false detente, he won't return the country to elections.

I won't hold me breath, because after all this time he has achieved very little. I wi be over the moon if he does because god knows the country desperately needs proper change.

What odds it will happen and that he will stick to his timetable for elections. Pretty slim.

Either the reform is likely to be half baked or the dates will move.

• Like 2

"a paid poster" - wow.

Yep, that's right - Khun Prayuth is paying me handsomely from all the money he is confiscating from the poor folk.

ROTFLOL. Thanks for that laugh, and thanks for conceding your argument by essentially losing all credibility.

I personally would hope that the election dates keep being pushed further out beyond the 2016 date - maybe as far out as 2018 or 2020. I envision that it would take *at least* that long to clean up most of the corrupt and cronyist mess. An election won't do that - in fact, all it will do is reset everything back to square one, if it were to happen too soon.

It genuinely seems that people like TAH are unable to understand that, or grasp the far bigger picture here. I assume he is a relative newbie to Thailand and doesn't understand the social dynamics?

"a paid poster" - wow.

Yep, that's right - Khun Prayuth is paying me handsomely from all the money he is confiscating from the poor folk.

ROTFLOL. Thanks for that laugh, and thanks for conceding your argument by essentially losing all credibility.

Once again you completely fail to answer a simple question.

You do this over and over again on repeated threads. Interjecting that the answers are beneath you but failing to argue.

So once again. Any concrete changes achieved or concrete plans put out concerning democracy or its future in Thailand, other than saying if people don't start to agree it will be difficult to return the country to democracy.

You bring little or nothing to any discussion, other than to claim that you are superior in your own understanding, yet offer nothing .

One might conclude that you are the ultimate legend in your own lunch box.

As I asked you on a previous thread, maybe you prefer to play with yourself rather than really entering the discussion.

Please, please yourself.

"After all this time he has achieved very little" - tell me, how much time has Prayuth now been in charge? Just so we get an idea for what you consider "all this time"

Oh, and what exactly would you have desired him to achieved?

One would have hoped that they might have actually worked out what form of democratic system they liked before they ripped up the previous one.

Alas, still waiting and debating.

As yet, Yingluck still uncharged.

One high profile purge from the police, meanwhile corruption continues nation wide in profusion.

As yet no dates set and firm for elections.

Um, state companies still unreformed. Legal system still untouched. Police largely untouched, protest leaders still unprosecuted.

Everything is still largely the same as the day Yingluck left power except there is no parliament.

And the list can go on and on.

better idea,

restore the '97 constitution and hold elections end of January.

No, that would be a much worse, if not terrible idea. Not that obsessionists like you would grasp the bigger picture here.

it is relatively clear that I have a much better picture of the situation that you do, Daffy.

But you sound like you know everything which counts for a lot.

I am coming to the opinion that you are a paid poster who latches onto anyone with a reasonable arguement and simply attacks the messenger and not the message.

In 12 years on this board I have never met anyone quite so offensive and irrelevant as you. Thee maybe a first time for the ignore button after all.

So please tell me what is he "trying" to other than threatening that if there isn't some kind of false detente, he won't return the country to elections.

I won't hold me breath, because after all this time he has achieved very little. I wi be over the moon if he does because god knows the country desperately needs proper change.

What odds it will happen and that he will stick to his timetable for elections. Pretty slim.

Either the reform is likely to be half baked or the dates will move.

I agree with you that daffy is useless for debating, and I agree that the current 'PM' would like a false detente. I don't believe that he really cares about returning the country to any kind of elections for the foreseeable future. If and only if there is a new constitution which allows him to either remain in power or sit behind the scenes and pull the levers, then he will consider allowing elections. They won't be free. They won't be fair.

At this point, that is of course, conjecture. But unlike know-it-all-and-you-others-are-<deleted>-clueless-Daffy, I am willing to go on the record with a projection or two and watch Thailand's future unfold for the next couple of years. Not that any of us have any other choice. :)

"After all this time he has achieved very little" - tell me, how much time has Prayuth now been in charge? Just so we get an idea for what you consider "all this time"

Oh, and what exactly would you have desired him to achieved?

One would have hoped that they might have actually worked out what form of democratic system they liked before they ripped up the previous one.

Alas, still waiting and debating.

As yet, Yingluck still uncharged.

One high profile purge from the police, meanwhile corruption continues nation wide in profusion.

As yet no dates set and firm for elections.

Um, state companies still unreformed. Legal system still untouched. Police largely untouched, protest leaders still unprosecuted.

Everything is still largely the same as the day Yingluck left power except there is no parliament.

And the list can go on and on.

I noted that you desperately avoid answering the simple questions I asked. Very telling.

1. "After all this time he has achieved very little" - tell me, how much time has Prayuth now been in charge? Just so we get an idea for what you consider "all this time"

2. Oh, and what exactly would you have desired him to achieved?

it is relatively clear that I have a much better picture of the situation that you do, Daffy.

Doubtful.

Unlike you, I don't claim that. I just seem to have a better grasp of the situation than a pair of libertarian obsessed conspiracy nuts.

I gather from the posts of some above that they think the current PM is siding with the Democrats, there I have said it where other just elude to it.

The rival factions, have in the past, hated each other, no to put to fine a point on it. We have oppositon parties in the west who hate each from 9-5 then they get along fine. The rival parties need to all become good losers and wait for the next election, not the next opportunity to create discord.

The PM is asking all sides to wait for and abide for the new rules, it seems a simple request, I wonder if it is that simple in Thailand? We will only know after the next election, until then let us give Prayuth the time to put his plan into action and let us hope that the political rivals can reform themselves as well for the good of the land, time will tell.

But the sooner we have an election, the better. Right now, America and Eurpe don't regard the junta as being democratically elected, the newspapers themselves refer to the junta as 'getting into power via a coup'.

And because Thailand is not regarded as being a democracy, well, this means America and Europe have got to put in minor problems with policies to do with Thailand, and this is partially causing Thailand to drift towards China. Off-course, America and Europe don't really care about democracy in Thailand (note all the other regimes that America is friends with, regimes that might not be democratically elected).

America and Europe just want to import Thailand's goods (cheap goods from cheap labour), and want to export goods to Thailand, and they also want generous contracts for doing Thailand's infra-structure projects. But America and Europe still need to 'make it look like that they are trying to promote democracy', that's why they're not having full diplomatic and economic links with Thailand right now.

Now then, if we see an election, and the sooner the better, well, planet earth will have to regard Thailand as a democracy. And for those who don't like Thaksin, how do you have a democracy without Thaksin as the boss ? We all know that Thaksin will always beat Abhisit in any election. How ?

Simple, Abhisit pulls out his party from the election, the voters for the Democrats and all those who don't want to see Thailand going back to "square one" will vote for the junta at the election. The junta will probably beat Thaksin in this two-horse race. Remember, a lot of neutrals don't want to go back to 'square one'. Square one is "we have an election, Thaksin beats Abhisit, the other little parties will have a few MPs, and a stack of Thais with yellow shirts will bring Bangkok to a halt, they might even blockade the airport again". If the junta was to hand out subsidies for petrol and diesel, and carry out land-reform (give land to Thailand's poor), then, maybe enough people in Isaan will switch votes from Thaksin to the junta.

So yes, the junta can stop being part of the problem, the junta can become the solution to the problem.

then, maybe enough people in Isaan will switch votes from Thaksin to the junta.

'maybe' isn't good enough.

Right now, the Army government is a better solution, until the political and social infrastructure and framework have been corrected in such a way as to actually give democracy a chance. Right now, this is not the case, IMO.

Doubtful.

Unlike you, I don't claim that. I just seem to have a better grasp of the situation than a pair of libertarian obsessed conspiracy nuts.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Right now, the Army government is a better solution, until the political and social infrastructure and framework have been corrected in such a way as to actually give democracy a chance. Right now, this is not the case, IMO.

Thailand is right now, not regarded as a democracy, and the longer this goes on, the longer the US and Europe will have downgraded political and economic links with Thailand. I'm certainly not against China, and Thailand will drift slowly towards China whatever happens, but the present situation is speeding up Thailand's movement towards China.

What's better ? A junta that is in power via a coup, or a junta that is in power because of an election after carrying out a coup ??

And once America and Europe have lost their excuse for down-grading their links with Thailand, well yes, Thailand can go back to 'playing of China against the West'. Thailand will tell the two big boys 'what gifts are you going to give me in order to reduce the chances of me joining up with the other big boy'.

Thailand can tell the European Union 'do not bother to bring up that stuff about the illegal migrants in the fishing and prawn industry, just import the sea-food, we know you actually want cheap sea-food, and everything else cheap as well'. And Thailand can also say to China "give us a better deal on the infra-structure projects that you want to carry out, we want a bigger slice of the cake, we can hand out contracts to companies from America/EU if you don't want these projects".

If the junta dishes out even bigger subsidies on diesel and petrol, and if they really do carry out land-reform where they hand-out land to Thais who don't have land, well, it will be enough to win an election.

I think most people in Thailand, with or without Thaksin, with or without the junta, they're not accepting the huge gulf between rich and poor. Throw in the fact that the yellow-shirts (they're mainly drawn from Thailand's middle-class and rich people) are basically a load of Chinese who are in Thailand, and the indigenous Thais are mostly poor and vote Thaksin, well, it's not a stable and secure situation to be in.

General Sir's feet is not very planted in reality, in my opinion. Democracy is a necessary process, a tool if you must, that controls conflict. And conflict is necessary as a check-and-balance mechanism of sorts. General Sir here wants to have no conflict - in other words, I assume he wants all 60-over million people in Thailand to just march towards one single objective - all of the same mind. The impossibility of such a scenario notwithstanding, I think that negates the need for any elections, or even democracy, doesn't it? It looks like Dear General is sort of confused between 'true democracy' and 'nirvana'. Are you smoking again, General Sir?

Thailand is right now, not regarded as a democracy, and the longer this goes on, the longer the US and Europe will have downgraded political and economic links with Thailand. I'm certainly not against China, and Thailand will drift slowly towards China whatever happens, but the present situation is speeding up Thailand's movement towards China.

What's better ? A junta that is in power via a coup, or a junta that is in power because of an election after carrying out a coup ??

Prayuth couldn't, for the foreseeable future, care less about US subsidies, or what the U.S. State department and EU politicians think about them. It really is the least of their concerns.

Obviously, the better goal is what you outlined - a democratically elected military govt. the fact simply remains that calling such an election too early can and will backfire - just as what has happened to Abhisit. If that happens, well then we are back with another Shinawatra regime immediately undoing all that was done so far.

Either way, elections or how the world sees them, or any subsidies aren't their concerns for the foreseeable future (2-3 years, my guess - maybe less).

Prayuth couldn't, for the foreseeable future, care less about US subsidies, or what the U.S. State department and EU politicians think about them. It really is the least of their concerns.

Obviously, the better goal is what you outlined - a democratically elected military govt. the fact simply remains that calling such an election too early can and will backfire - just as what has happened to Abhisit. If that happens, well then we are back with another Shinawatra regime immediately undoing all that was done so far.

Either way, elections or how the world sees them, or any subsidies aren't their concerns for the foreseeable future (2-3 years, my guess - maybe less).

It's not actually about subsidies. :)

Most people do feel that 'subsidies' and other forms of aid are actually sweeteners given to whatever countries in order to get deals done. As in China will build whatever infra-structure in Africa, in return for taking natural resources. As for America and Europe, they handout aid and subsidies to whatever countries in order to pick up whatever benefits, nothing is for free, there's no free lunch, it's aid with strings attached.

Does Thailand not care about it's image and relationship with Europe ? I think the general attempted to reduce negativity on Thailand's image at the recent European meeting and summit involving Asia (the one in Italy, I think). Every leader wants to boost his nation's image. And that includes China.

As for calling an election too early, and how this might backfire. Well, the junta was certainly riding on a high note in the early months after the coup, but they didn't call an election then. Again, I say, if the junta dishes out generous subsidies, and carries out land-reform to hand out land to Thailand's poor and landless, well, they'ill win the election.

Does it matter if the man handing out the benefits is wearing a suit or an army uniform ? Does it matter if he looks more Chinese or more like an indigenous Thai ??

Exactly.

Mind you I must have missed the one-sided part. Probably because one side pledged to not obstruct by not participating. The other side is barely ever in the news at the moment.

Let's at least be happy for Thaksin. Having become a grandfather might lead him to see the 'every one is equal' part in more positive light.

All Thaksin will think is that there are now more in the clan so we need more power and money ...

All long as all the political players and backroom backers remain the same nothing will change. As soon as an election is called they will crawl out of their caves and resume usual activities

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's not actually about subsidies. smile.png
Most people do feel that 'subsidies' and other forms of aid are actually sweeteners given to whatever countries in order to get deals done. As in China will build whatever infra-structure in Africa, in return for taking natural resources. As for America and Europe, they handout aid and subsidies to whatever countries in order to pick up whatever benefits, nothing is for free, there's no free lunch, it's aid with strings attached.
Does Thailand not care about it's image and relationship with Europe ? I think the general attempted to reduce negativity on Thailand's image at the recent European meeting and summit involving Asia (the one in Italy, I think). Every leader wants to boost his nation's image. And that includes China.

As for calling an election too early, and how this might backfire. Well, the junta was certainly riding on a high note in the early months after the coup, but they didn't call an election then. Again, I say, if the junta dishes out generous subsidies, and carries out land-reform to hand out land to Thailand's poor and landless, well, they'ill win the election.

Does it matter if the man handing out the benefits is wearing a suit or an army uniform ? Does it matter if he looks more Chinese or more like an indigenous Thai ??

Yes, it does.

A Chinese man wearing a suit is going to dish out benefits to a group who are mainly indigenous Thais, is this okay ?

A man who looks more like an indigenous Thai, and he's wearing an army uniform, and he dishes out benefits to a group who are mainly indigenous Thais, is this okay ?

Surely, it's the same thing ! :)