who are the greatest

meatboy

who in your time can you call the 3 greatest sports stars.[NO FOOTBALLERS]

being a lover of most sports my 3 that comes to mind in their catagory,that achieved the highest praise.

the three i will always remember are.

MUHAMMAD ALI,

CARL FOGARTY.

LESTER PIGGOTT.

there are others who have thrilled me,phil taylor,gareth edwards,michael johnson.

i was lucky to see carl and lester live but not ali.

having been a greyhound owner/trainer i cant go without a mention for ballyregan bob.

I think they are greater NOW than before, since so much more money on the line and more people on the planet wanting the cash; meaning so many more people trying to get that money. And sports easy to play is better than sports that takes 20k a year to play (hockey, biking, etc...). so i start with football (soccer), and then basketball, and then baseball. when you can make 300 million dollars in a sport, clearly even the greatest sport stars in other sports would migrate if they could for the cash.....pressure of money is powerful. i won't name names....but i stick with soccer and basketball as top 2.

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon the recently-retired Toulon No. 10, Top XIV and Heineken Cup winner, Lion and twice-world cup finalist and winner, a man who played for only two clubs in his professional career and was a model of modesty, hard work and sportsmanship. A player who's fearless tackling went almost unmentioned, for me, my most enduring memory will be the pat on the back he gave to his successor in the Lions No. 10 jersey, Owen Farrell, after the latter had clattered him to the floor as he unleashed another drop goal.

I reckon the recently-retired Toulon No. 10, Top XIV and Heineken Cup winner, Lion and twice-world cup finalist and winner, a man who played for only two clubs in his professional career and was a model of modesty, hard work and sportsmanship. A player who's fearless tackling went almost unmentioned, for me, my most enduring memory will be the pat on the back he gave to his successor in the Lions No. 10 jersey, Owen Farrell, after the latter had clattered him to the floor as he unleashed another drop goal.

was that JW.? SC.most of his best days were at toulon.

and as for his successor if he's half as good as his father was look out.

Yes; there'snot many that can say their best days were eight, nine, ten years after he won the world cup. And to be so accepted into the hearts of the Toulon team, their management and supporters. Who else could get French rugby fans to wave Union Jacks?

SC

One of the great sporting moments, I reckon. Never my team, both league or nation, but a great, great player.

I reckon the recently-retired Toulon No. 10, Top XIV and Heineken Cup winner, Lion and twice-world cup finalist and winner, a man who played for only two clubs in his professional career and was a model of modesty, hard work and sportsmanship. A player who's fearless tackling went almost unmentioned, for me, my most enduring memory will be

he gave to his successor in the Lions No. 10 jersey, Owen Farrell, after the latter had clattered him to the floor as he unleashed another drop goal.

Yes; there'snot many that can say their best days were eight, nine, ten years after he won the world cup. And to be so accepted into the hearts of the Toulon team, their management and supporters. Who else could get French rugby fans to wave Union Jacks?

SC

As a Kiwi, I might grump a bit (All Hail Dan), but JW is one of my idols - begrudgingly. :)

It was his unstinting practice, his modesty, and, as I mentioned, that pat on the back for Owen Farrell. I don't think he could kick as well as BLOODY ROB ANDREWS but the way that he took his most supreme triumphs - moments that made history - and passed them on to his team mates. Maybe he wasn't the best rugby player of all time, but he was the best sportsman.

I don't know SC, I personally believe his kicking is the best I have ever seen. The strength and power in the tackle, made him the cut above, however on all attributes, in my humble opinion, BOD comes out on top.

I cannot think of one extant moment of BOD showing the Owen or Lee moment, but overall I have to go with the BOD as the supreme sportsman, but in comparison with JW, I would hate to have to live off the difference.

After reading a bit further on Carl Fogarty's career, I agree he is one of the greatest. So will replace Barry Sheene with King Carl MBE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Fogarty

WSBK Champ x 4

World Endurance Champ

Le Mans 24 Hours Winner

Bol d'or Winner

World Formula One Champ

TT Winner

Manx TT Winner

Moto GP rider

Macau GP Winner

Ulster GP Winner

NW200 Winner

• 2 weeks later...

Novak Djokovic - Most complete player ever. Pushed tennis to a new level.

Michael Schumacher- Success speaks for itself. Always been able to go faster when needed in crucial situations.

Dick Fosbury - The way how he single-handedly completely changed and revolutionized his sport is incomparable until today.

No doubt there are greater tennis players than Johnnycake Wilkinson, and although many other kickers now stick their arse out like they're composing a fart he never revolutionised rugby. But as a sportsman he epitomised everything a sportsman should be

- excellent in his sport

- humble

- hard-working to a fault

- generous and respectful of his competitors, both in the opposition, and for his own position

- loyal to his club

- committed to his country

- fearless in the game.

I don't think that there's any if the alternatives offered on this thread that can tick all those boxes

SC

• 4 months later...

No doubt there are greater tennis players than Johnny Wilkinson, and although many other kickers now stick their arse out like they're composing a fart he never revolutionised rugby. But as a sportsman he epitomised everything a sportsman should be

- excellent in his sport

- humble

- hard-working to a fault

- generous and respectful of his competitors, both in the opposition, and for his own position

- loyal to his club

- committed to his country

- fearless in the game.

I don't think that there's any if the alternatives offered on this thread that can tick all those boxes

SC

And now - a CBE to recognise his achievements and his service.

• 2 weeks later...