Uber halts ride sharing service in Bangkok

webfact

Uber halts ride sharing service in Bangkok

276757-imagejpeg-432857-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department yesterday ordered the US-based Uber ride sharing service operator to stop services after a meeting with three ride sharing operators.

Uber agreed to cease operations of its services using black coloured registration plate or private cars.

LTD director-general of Teerapong Rodprasert revealed after a meeting with Uber representatives.

Under the agreement reached, Uber will halt its service using private cars in Bangkok and Phuket.

He said there are three ride sharing service operators in Thailand, US-based Uber, Singapore’s GrabTaxi Pte Ltd, and Easy Taxi of Brazil

Easy Taxi and Grab Taxi use existing, regulated taxis registered with yellow- or green-lettered licence plates, which are legally used as public vehicles.

Only Uber, which also uses privately registered “black-plate” or newly purchased “red-plate” vehicles, is in violation of vehicle-use provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, he said.

If Uber wants to continue to operate those vehicles, he added, it must bring them into compliance with the department’s regulations.

Mr Teerapong also said he would ask the Information and Communication Technology Ministry to check whether Uber’s use of a smartphone app or web browser posed a safety risk to passengers.

Uber is the sole operator that provides ride sharing service using private cars, while two other operators have a mix of both private and commercially registered vehicles.

Easy Taxi and Grab Taxi have agreed to stop operating black registration plate vehicles but will remain running their commercially registered fleet of vehicles.

Uber agreed to terminate its services but is looking into turning their fleet of vehicles into providing sightseeing services which will nevertheless need to be registered with green registration plates with the LTD, Mr Teerapong said.

In a statement issued after the meeting, Uber spokeswoman Karus Arya said Uber respects the Land Transport Department and its important role as the key regulator on vehicle-for-hire transport in Thailand.”

But she said “We look forward to continued conversations with the DLT to bring our innovative transportation solutions within the appropriate regulatory framework in Thailand.”

As for the services it provides, Uber has two types of taxis for customers to choose from.

The first is called Uber X and employs small sedans such as Toyota Vios or Honda City that charge 25 baht base fare and 4 baht 50 satang for every consecutive kilometre which comparatively, is cheaper than regular taxis.

Uber X, however, requires a minimum fare of 45 baht.

The other service is called Uber Black which runs medium to large size sedans such as Toyota Camry or Nissan Teana which charges a base fare of 45 baht and 9 baht 20 satang for every kilometre after that.

A minimum fare of 75 baht is the prerequisite.

The unique feature of ‘Uber’ taxi services is that it provides detailed information on the taxi driver, the vehicle as well as its current location in relation to the customers’ through the Smartphone application which is extremely convenient for users.

Uber launched its service in Thailand earlier in the first quarter, and then started up ride-sharing on the popular resort island of Phuket in November. But in Phuket, Uber said all its vehicles providing services are commercially registered vehicles.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/uber-halts-ride-sharing-service-bangkok

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-10

There is no way that Uber will be able to operate here as they are trying to reduce the cost to consumer, whilst all government licensed cabs try and increase it, by the normal Thai practices , refusing to use the meter, using a meter that is running at twice the speed it should, taking a detour to feed the buffalo etc etc

A bit more research by Uber is required and a very large bung, one thinks

• Like 1

I actually downloaded the app to try it. I don't live in downtown admittedly but it didn't have any cars available for Uber Black or the other option.

Can anyone recommend a cheap, reliable and good service for pick up from condo who can speak reasonably good English is I live in Bang Kruay area.

There is no way that Uber will be able to operate here as they are trying to reduce the cost to consumer, whilst all government licensed cabs try and increase it, by the normal Thai practices , refusing to use the meter, using a meter that is running at twice the speed it should, taking a detour to feed the buffalo etc etc

I doubt that Uber would reduce costs here (*). Taxi prices are already quite cheap.

Uber's aim is to improve service.

* in Bangkok. It probably could reduce costs in Phuket. Prices for funerals would probably go up in Samui if Uber tried to get in there.

Edited by whybother
  • Like 2

Thailand partially bans Uber ride-sharing service

Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has partially banned services by ride-sharing application Uber, authorities said Wednesday, as the US-based car hire business continues to grapple with regulators across the world.

The head of the kingdom's Department of Land Transport said it has banned Uber's use of unlicensed "black plate" vehicles, which link customers with private drivers, citing safety concerns and a lack of regulation.

"We are not banning the use of the Uber application, but we are banning the use of black plate vehicles, because they are illegal," Teerapong Rodpraert, Director-General of Land Transport Department told AFP.

"We have held talks with Uber twice including yesterday (Tuesday). We must consider passenger safety because the taxi driver must have a public driving licence and a criminal records check with our department," he said.

In Thailand, black plates are meant to be used for private vehicles but Uber's application has allowed individual fare-paying customers to connect with a registered private driver under their "UberX" brand.

A slightly more expensive option allows users to locate cars with green plates, which are used by taxi and limousine services and driven by people with licences to take passengers.

The ban does not apply to licensed cars, Teerapong said.

UberX is a significant part of the firm's Thailand business -- although the company would not be drawn on how much of its revenues come from regulated journeys.

Nonetheless the Uber smartphone app was still taking bookings for both green and black plate cars in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Uber is as adored by start-up watchers for its stellar rise as it is loathed by the established taxi industry for undercutting prices.

A company statement said Uber "respects the Department of Land Transportation and its important role as a key regulator" adding the firm would continue talking about the legal framework for its business.

"Over the past few months, more and more Thai people have been cruising the streets of Bangkok and Phuket, using (the) Uber platform and they are loving the experience," it added, without referencing the part-ban.

Uber is valued at around $40 billion despite facing a cascade of regulatory worries with authorities spanning the US, to Spain and India, mainly linked to possible breaches of competition law.

This week the city government in New Delhi banned Uber from operating in the Indian capital after a passenger accused one of its drivers of rape.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-12-10

Too bad. I've never used them but I know that in our local American community (out in my area), people were pretty excited to have them enter the market. Tired of dealing with trying to find a taxi service with drivers who will take you where you want to go, when you want to go.

It is truly amazing how quickly the DLT can stop this company from delivering a service that it's customers desire and are completely willing to pay for, yet these same bozos are completely incapable of solving the decades long taxi mafia problems in Phuket and Samui and Bangkok and everywhere else.

Just once it would be great to see these "officials" actually do their job with the interest of the people in mind, instead of their own wallets.

They haven't actually stopped anything yet.

whistling.gif Uber is having worldwide problems because of the driver they hired in Delhi, India.

He was supposedly cleared to drive with a background check.

However, it has been discovered that not only was the background check not done, but the driver had a previous problem with an attempted rape accusation from an Indian woman. that was either missed or passed over when the driver was hired.

That same driver is now under arrest in Delhi for another alleged rape of a female passenger.

All is not well for Uber and it's image.

They need to get serious about their driver security checks, or they are in big trouble.

• Like 1

It is truly amazing how quickly the DLT can stop this company from delivering a service that it's customers desire and are completely willing to pay for, yet these same bozos are completely incapable of solving the decades long taxi mafia problems in Phuket and Samui and Bangkok and everywhere else.

Just once it would be great to see these "officials" actually do their job with the interest of the people in mind, instead of their own wallets.

They haven't actually stopped anything yet.

Did you read the article???

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department yesterday ordered the US-based Uber ride sharing service operator to stop services after a meeting with three ride sharing operators.

Uber agreed to cease operations of its services using black coloured registration plate or private cars.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Too bad. I've never used them but I know that in our local American community (out in my area), people were pretty excited to have them enter the market. Tired of dealing with trying to find a taxi service with drivers who will take you where you want to go, when you want to go.

I actually downloaded the app to try it. I don't live in downtown admittedly but it didn't have any cars available for Uber Black or the other option.

Can anyone recommend a cheap, reliable and good service for pick up from condo who can speak reasonably good English is I live in Bang Kruay area.

Look in 'Craigslist' there are a drivers/cars there.

PS; Where's Chalerm ?

Nothing to do with Uber about the Rape - Bangkok Taxi Firms have reports almost every month of TAXIS Raping customers or locking the doors and demanding payment OFF the meter or they will pull out a weapon.
FACT - Uber is no more or less dangerous that the poorly regulated Taxi services in Thailand and other third world countries.

FACT - Uber threatens the existing market with better services and better rates and has grown so fast they are shitting themselves because they wont be able to tax them.

• Like 2

Nothing to do with Uber about the Rape - Bangkok Taxi Firms have reports almost every month of TAXIS Raping customers or locking the doors and demanding payment OFF the meter or they will pull out a weapon.

FACT - Uber is no more or less dangerous that the poorly regulated Taxi services in Thailand and other third world countries.

FACT - Uber threatens the existing market with better services and better rates and has grown so fast they are shitting themselves because they wont be able to tax them.

Uber states that they do criminal checks on drivers. In this case it didn't.

whistling.gif Uber is having worldwide problems because of the driver they hired in Delhi, India.

He was supposedly cleared to drive with a background check.

However, it has been discovered that not only was the background check not done, but the driver had a previous problem with an attempted rape accusation from an Indian woman. that was either missed or passed over when the driver was hired.

That same driver is now under arrest in Delhi for another alleged rape of a female passenger.

All is not well for Uber and it's image.

They need to get serious about their driver security checks, or they are in big trouble.

While there may be some merit to your post, recently a Bangkok taxi driver killed a passenger with a machete and others have engaged in criminal conduct resulting with injuries to passengers.

Examples of Uber drivers in Delhi don't concern me quite as much as Bangkok taxi drivers do. All is not well closer to home, which in my case, is Thailand.

Uber Black is the name for the sedan vehicles service. When Uber started here in Bkk around March 2014 and for the next 6 months or so... that was the only service they offered.

The Uber X class is smaller, cheaper, and a different kettle of fish from what I read.

I have used and continue to use Uber Black. It is OUTSTANDING. It is sublime to have the tech services to call a car, see its location, communicate with the driver, etc. etc. You can send it to pick up a friend and take them somewhere. I have taken loads of Uber rides and only ever had a few unsatisfactory experiences.

For the fees they charge, if you are mostly in downtown Bkk, and use it fairly regularly as I do, it can be the equivalent of having a personal driver for less than 10,000 Baht a month.

I love coming out of a meeting with clients or colleagues to see a black Camray or Black Mercedes (they have a few) parked at curbside and the driver standing with the door open asking if I am Mr. ___-

I have had friends tell me they loved impressing the girls with a pick up from a club or restaurant in their Uber Black.

Inside they have bottled water, soft seats, lots of leg room and PEACE and QUIET. Silence. It is bliss. I can take a call or simply sit and chat with my colleague. Open my laptop and do a bit of work. Nice soft arm rests and A/C you control yourself. The leg room alone is worth it. At 190 cm I am sick and tired of squeezing into the back seat of an old taxi.

Uber Black is a class act and welcome respite from the taxis of Bkk. I love the taxis of Bkk and their cheap fares. And I use them as well. But for no hassles, professional car services, Uber Black is fantastic.

PM me for a discount code and get 200 Baht credit free when you register and take your first ride.

• Like 2

Uber Black is the name for the sedan vehicles service. When Uber started here in Bkk around March 2014 and for the next 6 months or so... that was the only service they offered.

The Uber X class is smaller, cheaper, and a different kettle of fish from what I read.

I have used and continue to use Uber Black. It is OUTSTANDING. It is sublime to have the tech services to call a car, see its location, communicate with the driver, etc. etc. You can send it to pick up a friend and take them somewhere. I have taken loads of Uber rides and only ever had a few unsatisfactory experiences.

For the fees they charge, if you are mostly in downtown Bkk, and use it fairly regularly as I do, it can be the equivalent of having a personal driver for less than 10,000 Baht a month.

I love coming out of a meeting with clients or colleagues to see a black Camray or Black Mercedes (they have a few) parked at curbside and the driver standing with the door open asking if I am Mr. ___-

I have had friends tell me they loved impressing the girls with a pick up from a club or restaurant in their Uber Black.

Inside they have bottled water, soft seats, lots of leg room and PEACE and QUIET. Silence. It is bliss. I can take a call or simply sit and chat with my colleague. Open my laptop and do a bit of work. Nice soft arm rests and A/C you control yourself. The leg room alone is worth it. At 190 cm I am sick and tired of squeezing into the back seat of an old taxi.

Uber Black is a class act and welcome respite from the taxis of Bkk. I love the taxis of Bkk and their cheap fares. And I use them as well. But for no hassles, professional car services, Uber Black is fantastic.

PM me for a discount code and get 200 Baht credit free when you register and take your first ride.

Forgot to mention...

As was clearly mentioned in the article... Uber X is the service that is breaking laws. Uber Black is not illegal and services are still available. I used one today.

I agree that Uber should clearly and accurately state what they DO or DON'T DO with regard to checking out their drivers, and they should comply with whatever local laws exist for the qualifications and licenses of drivers. (and i'm sure that it varies country to country...)

However, this argument that is focused on whether or not they do criminal checks on drivers is really irrelevant for several reasons.

1) Since when does passing a background check give 100% assurance that someone will not break the law in the future? It doesn't.

2) Do you think that Thailand, and many other countries where Uber operates, have the processes, databases, and capabilities to do any kind of meaningful background check on anybody? They don't.

3) Do you think that most of the regular taxi drivers have the correct licenses and insurance and have clean drug histories and criminal records? You are dreaming.

So the bottom line is that getting into a car with someone you don't know (or any car for that matter) has a degree of risk. But in gauging the risk, I prioritize the things that are "likely" to happen higher than the ones that are "unlikely".

It is much more likely that I will be injured in an accident in a older car, with no seatbelts and poor maintenance, which is driven aggressively by a guy who's only concern is racing to pick up his next 35 baht fare than to be injured in a new car, with seatbelts that I use, where the driver has to drive courteously because of the Uber ride rating system and my ability to give his boss instant direct feedback about his driving.

I've gotten into taxis where you could smell the alcohol on the driver, and I've gotten out and found another taxi. That has NEVER happened to me with Uber.

I've had taxi drivers who drive so recklessly and aggressively that I have them pull over so I could find another one. That has NEVER happened to me with Uber.

I've had rude and confrontational taxi drivers who argue about whether to go somewhere, how to get there, and how much I should pay them to go there. And STILL I have to hear them bitch about the traffic the whole way and listen to loud sports, politics, or Thai music all the way. That has NEVER happened to me with Uber.

I've had multiple instances where, halfway to my desired destination, the taxi driver decides he doesn't want to go anymore and kicks me out of the taxi in a strange neighborhood to fend for myself. Sometimes and night, and at least a couple of times in the rain. Say it with me.... That has NEVER happened to me with Uber.

The fact is that for all the posturing of the DLT, the taxis in Thailand are not "regulated". They are a joke. There is no standard of driver education in this country at all, let alone for taxi drivers. They are largely uninsured, poorly trained, nearly unregulated, and what regulations DO exist are subject to the usual lack of enforcement and rampant corruption that even fails to effectively address ongoing issues of aggressive intimidation and assaults, rapes, and even murders of customers.

Is Uber an innovative idea using technology to reinvent the taxi business? Yes. Are they playing a little fast and loose and pushing the boundaries in a lot of countries to shake up entrenched and corrupt transportation systems? Yes. Will they need to modify some business practices in various countries, and hopefully force some changes in the regulations as well, to become compliant with some regulations? Yes.

But, based on my experience with both regular taxis and Uber, there is nothing that could convince me that a standard Bangkok taxi is any safer than riding with Uber.

That argument is just ludicrous, but I would expect nothing less from these "officials" who care more about the flow of brown envelopes than the safety of the people.

I agree that Uber should clearly and accurately state what they DO or DON'T DO with regard to checking out their drivers, and they should comply with whatever local laws exist for the qualifications and licenses of drivers. (and i'm sure that it varies country to country...)

However, this argument that is focused on whether or not they do criminal checks on drivers is really irrelevant for several reasons.

1) Since when does passing a background check give 100% assurance that someone will not break the law in the future? It doesn't.

2) Do you think that Thailand, and many other countries where Uber operates, have the processes, databases, and capabilities to do any kind of meaningful background check on anybody? They don't.

3) Do you think that most of the regular taxi drivers have the correct licenses and insurance and have clean drug histories and criminal records? You are dreaming.

So the bottom line is that getting into a car with someone you don't know (or any car for that matter) has a degree of risk. But in gauging the risk, I prioritize the things that are "likely" to happen higher than the ones that are "unlikely".

It is much more likely that I will be injured in an accident in a older car, with no seatbelts and poor maintenance, which is driven aggressively by a guy who's only concern is racing to pick up his next 35 baht fare than to be injured in a new car, with seatbelts that I use, where the driver has to drive courteously because of the Uber ride rating system and my ability to give his boss instant direct feedback about his driving.

I've gotten into taxis where you could smell the alcohol on the driver, and I've gotten out and found another taxi. That has NEVER happened to me with Uber.

I've had taxi drivers who drive so recklessly and aggressively that I have them pull over so I could find another one. That has NEVER happened to me with Uber.

I've had rude and confrontational taxi drivers who argue about whether to go somewhere, how to get there, and how much I should pay them to go there. And STILL I have to hear them bitch about the traffic the whole way and listen to loud sports, politics, or Thai music all the way. That has NEVER happened to me with Uber.

I've had multiple instances where, halfway to my desired destination, the taxi driver decides he doesn't want to go anymore and kicks me out of the taxi in a strange neighborhood to fend for myself. Sometimes and night, and at least a couple of times in the rain. Say it with me.... That has NEVER happened to me with Uber.

The fact is that for all the posturing of the DLT, the taxis in Thailand are not "regulated". They are a joke. There is no standard of driver education in this country at all, let alone for taxi drivers. They are largely uninsured, poorly trained, nearly unregulated, and what regulations DO exist are subject to the usual lack of enforcement and rampant corruption that even fails to effectively address ongoing issues of aggressive intimidation and assaults, rapes, and even murders of customers.

Is Uber an innovative idea using technology to reinvent the taxi business? Yes. Are they playing a little fast and loose and pushing the boundaries in a lot of countries to shake up entrenched and corrupt transportation systems? Yes. Will they need to modify some business practices in various countries, and hopefully force some changes in the regulations as well, to become compliant with some regulations? Yes.

But, based on my experience with both regular taxis and Uber, there is nothing that could convince me that a standard Bangkok taxi is any safer than riding with Uber.

That argument is just ludicrous, but I would expect nothing less from these "officials" who care more about the flow of brown envelopes than the safety of the people.

I don't think anyone has said anything about standard taxis being safer than Uber.

The only issue in most countries that they've banned Uber is licencing. If you're not licenced to carry passengers then you are usually not insured.

Uber states on their website that all it's drivers are insured. But if you read further, than only applies in some states in the US.

Uber states on their website that checks are done on all it's drivers. But the Indian case shows that they don't always do that either.

I know you a newbie,but when you write total crap you need to be called on it,the short honeymoon is over.

I know you a newbie,but when you write total crap you need to be called on it,the short honeymoon is over.

Now legal in Phuket: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Uber-gains-legal-traction-Phuket/40741

Uber can not under cut prices on Taxis except in Phuket..Thai taxis are already just about

every where when ever you need them..

If you call Uber do you really think a driver can afford to drive a Mercedes at taxi rates? Forget it its not going to happen..Yes I am sure they have one or two photo-op Mercedes..

Until Thai taxis double or triple their rates Uber will be a non player in Thailand...

Uber can not under cut prices on Taxis except in Phuket..Thai taxis are already just about

every where when ever you need them..

If you call Uber do you really think a driver can afford to drive a Mercedes at taxi rates? Forget it its not going to happen..Yes I am sure they have one or two photo-op Mercedes..

Until Thai taxis double or triple their rates Uber will be a non player in Thailand...

Actually it works well, what most people forget is that a lot of these cars are owned and managed by hotels, in most cases, and are used during periods of inactivity. Casing example, i used the service tonight, yes it is still running, a new Toyota Camry, from Ekamai to Silom, and the driver mentioned he worked for a hotel on Soi 24.

Cost was 238 Baht, great value in my mind given the traffic was heavy, particularly in the Silom area. Courteous driver, no need to give directions and two bottles of water sat in the back of the car. Needless to say i am a big fan of Uber and use them most days so i could be a little biased.

Grab taxi works great for me.

You were lucky. I booked a taxi with the Grab Taxi app. 10 minutes later the driver called me and told me to book another taxi as he was not coming. Then the app could not find another taxi. Complete waste of time.

• 2 months later...