Australia PM Abbott wants indigenous referendum in 2017

webfact

Australia PM Abbott wants indigenous referendum in 2017

(BBC) Australian PM Tony Abbott has vowed to "sweat blood" to secure constitutional recognition for indigenous people, saying he wants a referendum in 2017.

But Mr Abbott said he would not rush with the date until he was confident the referendum would succeed.

To be passed, the change must be backed by a majority of people in a majority of Australia's six states.

The constitution currently does not recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as the nation's first people.

Unlike in other nations settled by Europeans, such as Canada and New Zealand, Australia's constitution does not mention indigenous people.

In the past few years, there have been discussions about recognising them in a preamble to the constitution, and about changing the main part of the constitution to include a section that outlaws racial discrimination.

Aboriginal Australians represent about 2.5% of Australia's 24 million people. Generations of discrimination and disadvantage have left them with poor health and low levels of education and employment.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30443319

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-12

A I understand it there were 3 major waves of aboriginal migration into Australia across a land-bridge in the north-west of the continent, spanning a period of 60 - 20,000 years ago. Each new wave was more technologically advanced and aggressive than the last and pushed the existing tribes south and east. The last descendant of the original tribes, Truganini, died in 1876. The current "ab-original" (first man) tribes are descendant from the second and third waves of invasion. The other 97.5% of the Australian population are a result of the fourth wave of invasion of more technologically advanced and aggressive people, which has been ongoing since 1788.

As with any invasion, there have been terrible things done by both the invaders and the resistance - of which neither side should be proud. Some of the policies of governments (of politicians now long-dead), though enacted with good intentions, still cause major divisions on both sides of the story.

Ultimately, the Aboriginal population needs to decide what they want to be:

• perpetual "special needs" children with government supplied housing, perpetual pensions based on ethnicity, special government funded health programs, special government funded education programs and no responsibility or accountability etc.
  • fully integrated, productive members of the wider community - accepted as just another element in Australia's diverse population
  • a separate, independent nation-within-a-nation, with restrictions on "foreign" entry, its own tribal laws and control over the mineral resources of the land on which they sit

Currently there are people pushing for each of these agendas and demonizing the broader population via a guilt trip over things their grandparents (or preceding generations) did.

Well said that man! In order to be considered an aborigine you either have to be 1/32nd or less or to be known in your community as of aboriginal descent! My grandchildren of one of my daughters qualify, when I asked my daughter why she didn't take advantage she replied " I don't want my children to be looked down on as free loading drunks!".

Many aboriginies work and contribute to the Australian community, colour or education does not count (generally), it's the nature of the person that does count. Unfortunately, many urban and country aboriginies have been institionalised by the Australian "nanny" state welfare departments. These many departments need an aboriginal "problem" as their reason for being ! Who cares how many lives they destroy? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Those UK politicians who yodel on about the benefits of mass immigration and the delights of a multicultural society obviously could learn a few lessons from what happened not just to the original Australians, but also their counterparts the Red Indians of North America and the black tribes of South Africa.

Or are the white tribes somehow immune to the same decimation and cultural destruction?

• Like 1

A I understand it there were 3 major waves of aboriginal migration into Australia across a land-bridge in the north-west of the continent, spanning a period of 60 - 20,000 years ago. Each new wave was more technologically advanced and aggressive than the last and pushed the existing tribes south and east. The last descendant of the original tribes, Truganini, died in 1876. The current "ab-original" (first man) tribes are descendant from the second and third waves of invasion. The other 97.5% of the Australian population are a result of the fourth wave of invasion of more technologically advanced and aggressive people, which has been ongoing since 1788.

As with any invasion, there have been terrible things done by both the invaders and the resistance - of which neither side should be proud. Some of the policies of governments (of politicians now long-dead), though enacted with good intentions, still cause major divisions on both sides of the story.

• perpetual "special needs" children with government supplied housing, perpetual pensions based on ethnicity, special government funded health programs, special government funded education programs and no responsibility or accountability etc.
  • fully integrated, productive members of the wider community - accepted as just another element in Australia's diverse population
  • a separate, independent nation-within-a-nation, with restrictions on "foreign" entry, its own tribal laws and control over the mineral resources of the land on which they sit

Currently there are people pushing for each of these agendas and demonizing the broader population via a guilt trip over things their grandparents (or preceding generations) did.

Sounds like my country where everything is my great-great-great-great...grandparents fault (and mine by association) even though my grandparents didn't hit Ellis Island until the early 1900s, and had to fight their way out of their own ghettos to establish themselves as productive members of society . Go figure. BTW, I like 'bullet' number 2 personally.

Edited by connda

Thailand Take Notice - a constitutional monarchy that uses public referendums to determine major national policies!

But then Australia was a colony of criminals no less and certainly not in the same class as Thailand's heritage of military rule.

Agreed. Seeing the current aboriginal population are basically descendants of "immigrants" to Australia, your second bullet point would be the way to go.

Number 3 is pretty much the way NZ has gone and it is not a good look.

I lived most of my life in a Maori area and most of my friends were Maori, great people.

Went back for a visit a couple of years after I left, new PC legislation had been passed giving rights to all sort of things including the sea in places, found public roads I had used for many years closed off, beaches no go areas, get off this is ours.

Only a few stirrers who have brought this about and politicians who are scared of being called racist.

But having things given and then being able to say this is ours rather than being public property is infectious and even the good people get caught up in it.

the band yothu yindi managed to make something of themselves, along with many other ethnic australians, problem is the majority of them are bone laxy, (bit like thais) i have seen government established aboriginal housing communities only to be stripped of windows doors and flooring

When I was in Oz, they used to say they'd tear up all the wood -- skirting boards, inside doors etc -- and have a fire in the middle of the living room getting pissed. Never seemed too busy in their bush villages. Besides painting and playing didgeridoos, what exactly have they been doing for the past 20k years?

• Like 1

What happened to the Billions of dollars that they were paid for Land and Mining rights, just to mention a couple.whistling.gif

"O" that's right the University educated Aboriginals were handling all of the money,w00t.gif along with the Aboriginal lawyers and the Aboriginal Politicians. crazy.gif

What a joke, how much recognition do they want.violin.gif

• Like 2

What happened to the Billions of dollars that they were paid for Land and Mining rights, just to mention a couple.whistling.gif

"O" that's right the University educated Aboriginals were handling all of the money,w00t.gif along with the Aboriginal lawyers and the Aboriginal Politicians. crazy.gif

What a joke, how much recognition do they want.violin.gif

Enough is enough....They get the vote....they pay the taxes. No more handouts.

They get to vote...they play by the rules we all have to abide by. Especially the Half cast stirrers...who hide behind "Aboriginal Laws"

They get to vote...SAME gun laws as all of us.