Bought a new car, have read plates and a brown book? Anyone know what to do?

Kenny202

Picked up our new Dmax yesterday and the guy told us the actual plates will be a month or more coming and they put red plates on. I assume they are a type of dealers plate or something? Anyway he gave us a brown log book and I understood him to say if the police pulled us over we have to fill out the book but my missus says you have to fill it out with intended journey every time we go out. The dealer also said we shouldn't really be driving at night and if the police pull us up we may have to pay some tea money hahaha.

Amazing Thailand! Anyone know what the drum is?

No Worries, You have the Tatty Old Book no doubt a. good dealer for once. No you don't have to fill it in every trip. The Police are easy on you, long as you have it. As for Night , very unlucky if they pic on you,then its only a Chang Fine. Ignore the Teachers just Enjoy the new ride.thumbsup.gif

Thai friend of mine bought a new ford fiesta.He was driving on highway 108 south of Mae Hon Song, got stopped by police , driving after dark, driving in another province (he is from surin), not filling in brown book. Big problem for him . He had to take the car back home until he had white plates.

I just got stopped a few days agao, daytime, did not fill out the intended journey thinking like the above people. Surprise, surprise. Police stopped me and the missus, had to pay 200 Baht and was warned to fill the book in even for small trips. This was in Khon Kaen province.

What is the reason you are not allowed to drive at night on red plates ?

Never ask for a reason here.

On a trip form Phuket via Nong Khai, Phitsanulok and back I was stopped twice (in Isaan). First time I showed the (blank) brown book and a letter from the car dealer, I was promptly waved through.

Second time I had to listen to a 2 minute lesson about filling in the planned route and such, I replied that my Thai writing is lousy so I did not want to degrade the book... Broad smile from the cop and I was ok to go on.

But make sure you have the brown book and a legal red plate, which seems to be the case.

I just got stopped a few days agao, daytime, did not fill out the intended journey thinking like the above people. Surprise, surprise. Police stopped me and the missus, had to pay 200 Baht and was warned to fill the book in even for small trips. This was in Khon Kaen province.

Did you pay that 200 baht direct to the cops with no receipt :)

Ace of pop. You dont know what you are talking about. 1 Thai friend correct 2 not bar waffle ,i dont drink , dont go to bars . I am bedridden .When you know the law in Thailand about red plates speak until then shut up.

After 25 Years of Driving here working with red plated cars i speak from reality, not hearsay from a Thai Wife, BIL, or some Newbie reading out the laws.I hope your Manners get well soon.coffee1.gif

I am well aware of the Rules thank you.I reply to the O.P. not anyone Else.TNT,Kerry and many other Express Delivery firms replace fleets and wait for White or Green. The Red Rule applies to all they dont suddenly go from 24/7 to 12/7.As others have posted the Cops are o.k. with them.Because i upset a few Knee Jerks here, ill stick to how it works daily,as the O.P. wanted to know.coffee1.gif

Did you pay that 200 baht direct to the cops with no receipt smile.png

Yes, I did get a receipt after paying it. Actually my wife paid it after getting a short lecture on what to do and when to fill out the book.

The reasons revolve around reducing theft... the regulations are a little vague but involve not driving at night or outside of the province.

I've had driven on Red plates both at night and outside of the province and never had an issue.

Op: I wouldn't worry about it.

Exactly my experience as well. Have been from Phuket to Isaan a few times on reds with the usual check points, and never had a problem. I did check with insurance company beforehand that the car was insured, and did receive a confirmation in writing.

And so far I have bought 4 new cars here, and never received a brown book.

Ace of pop. You dont know what you are talking about. 1 Thai friend correct 2 not bar waffle ,i dont drink , dont go to bars . I am bedridden .When you know the law in Thailand about red plates speak until then shut up.

After 25 Years of Driving here working with red plated cars i speak from reality, not hearsay from a Thai Wife, BIL, or some Newbie reading out the laws.I hope your Manners get well soon.coffee1.gif

Not the post poster to be preaching about manners - and once again Ace of Poop is wrong.

I personally have been stopped in the same circumstances described by the previous poster. Fortunately, both Ford and Thai Visa had taught me to keep the book and record such journeys.

I was politely waved on by the BiB and advised to get the new plates asap.

Yes ace of poop is a description., because that is what he is talking. I am not a newbie but he does not know that.

October 1996 was my first time here, so not a newbie.

Eight years ago i bought a CHEVY AVEO in Surin, had same problem myself with the bib, so i think i know what i am talking about.

• 6 months later...

Start reading

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/656592-red-licence-plate-restrictions/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/662078-driving-with-red-plates-after-6-pm/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/609564-red-plate-restrictions/

But in short

Red Plates:

• Can only be used from 06:00 to 18:00, though there is a police directive to extend this to 20:00 in situations of heavy traffic - max fine: 1,000 Baht.
  • Cannot be driven outside of the province indicated without special approval of the Land Transport Department (permission must be noted in the log book) - max fine: 1,000 Baht.
  • Logs of each journey must be kept - max fine: 1,000 Baht
  • Cannot be used on the one car for more than 30 days or 3,000KM - max fine: 10,000 Baht
In addition, the use of fake red plates will result in a 6 month to 5 year jail term, and a 1,000 to 10,000 Baht fine.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/656592-red-licence-plate-restrictions/#entry6656403

I've just been scrolling through the threads for one about Red Plates.

My wife bought her car in December and the car still has the red plate, nobody has ever said about the above laws of limited driving hours, driving outside the province etc...

These laws must be so unheard of or irrelevant it seems like the police don't even know about them?

We were stopped in Isaan over Songkhran, he asked how long she's had the car, told him since December and he just said to ask the dealer to sort it out when we get back home.

This is the only time we've been stopped and queried about the plate, the other 15-20 times we've been stopped is when I was driving or passenger and they're trying to get some money... Which is a fail every time...

As for being limited to driving the car only between 06:00 - 18:00/20:00 it's a joke because we've never been stopped outside of these times.

Keeping a log? Never have done and we're not going to.

>15,000 km on the clock now and nobody batters an eyelid.

It's got to be a case of so much paperwork involved they just can't be bothered...

Just sayin' really because some people would worry about things like this after reading "the laid down law on TVF" LoL

It's a load of baloks Den

Edited by Porkster

Ensure the red plates you have are the ones issued by the authorities (they will have an embossed stamp), they probably are as you have the accompanying brown book. However dealers issue their own 'fake' plates. They tried this on with me but I spotted them and insisted I had the right ones

Some dealers can take a long time registering the car. They may tell you the Thais prefer it this way as they can show off their red plates to their neighbours. Again I had to twist arms to get my white plates quickly as I wanted to drive out of province in Issan where there tend to be quite a lot of Police check points

As most posters have said you probably will not be stopped and it is the way in Thailand. However there will always be someone who knows someone who did get stopped. Personally I never had any problems

I was stopped by the cops in Bangkok at night when on red plates. He pointed at the sky and said "Only drive when light, not when dark; you go home now." Then waved me on with a smile.

Did you point him to the brand new headlights on the front of the vehicle and show them how they worked? He may not have known about them since so many Thai's don't use them and act as if they're unneeded accessories put there just for looks. It's such nonsense to be treated like a newborn all the time, even getting that stupid license is nonsense when the test is so childish for long time experienced drivers.